997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the 997.1 GT2 still a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020 | 06:18 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

I semi DD my bone stock 996TT and would drive a 997TT all day long.

Atlrvr why did you not want a turbo car for a DD. The 6TT and 7TT's I have driven were nice and docile until on the boost. Mine was the ultimate highway car.
The following users liked this post:
4th911 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020 | 06:37 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I think I can give you a pretty well rounded answer. I've owned Porsche 911s since 2009 and have owned 2 996TTs (first in 2009, second in 2018). In 2013 I bought my 2010 997.2 GT3 RS and it's my 'forever' car. Truly the greatest car I've been lucky enough to own, and by considerable margin.

However, I come from a turbocharged background and that relates heavily to this story. Cars like Toyota Supra Turbos, and Nissan 300ZX Turbos, Nissan GTRs, etc. It's what originally drew me to the 996TT as an amazing first Porsche because I knew I'd love the engineering but didn't want to give up on the forced induction experience. Fast forward to spring of 2018 when I'm thumbing through my monthly issue of Panorama and I spot a 2008 GT2 available for a price I just *might* be able to afford if I quickly sold my 996TT and GT-R (and coughed up a bit of cash). I did a bunch of research quickly on the 997.1 GT2 and soon realized it was the unsung hero in the Mezger lineup. Even the 996 GT2s seemed to have a more ravenous and loyal following. I couldn't figure out why, but I knew how much I loved the 997 generation and the rarity and special nature of the car certainly appealed to me. I put together a deal on principle, sold both of my cars within 3 weeks, and sent all my money internationally (holy crap...that was nuts!) to pay for my new 997.1 GT2.

On my actual birthday last year (April 2019) I took delivery of my 2008 GT2 and, with my wife happily in tow, we drove it about 2800 miles from Toronto, ON, Canada back to Seattle, WA, Along the way I became a registered importer at the border, got to drive in practically every road condition possible, and generally had one hell of a great time enjoying my new car with my best friend with me! We saw dry roads, wet roads, every fuel grade you can imagine, snowy roads, icy roads, and generally just had a big adventure together. I wouldn't trade any of it and the GT2 was such a wonderful car to make the trip in. We were both sad to finally get home as we truly enjoyed it as a life-long memory.

I personally believe the 997.1 GT2 is one of the most undervalued modern Porsche 911s available on the market. It's a much more special car than people seem to realize, but I remain uncertain if it will stay that way forever or if the tide will eventually turn in its favor. With 1242 made worldwide and only 194 sold in the USA, I tend to believe that the secret will eventually get out, and way too many of these fine cars are already being stored in protective cocoons and not enjoyed on the road and track. Needless to say, I already have mine and have no plans to let it go until I cannot drive a manual transmission anymore. It's just a sensational car all around and is special enough to remind you of it on every single drive.

PS. I would also recommend buying a 2009 model if you can, but they are very few and far between. They come with PCM v3.0 which is a very worthwhile factory option. Best wishes to you on your indecisiveness of course!

Taking delivery on my birthday!

Visiting Mount Rushmore on the way home

Cruising through Montana

Safe at home at last!
The following 11 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
4th911 (04-16-2020), atlrvr (04-15-2020), Beezupra (04-21-2020), cyclrder (04-18-2020), HDA (04-16-2020), jaredomin (07-04-2020), jonwb (04-16-2020), mchrono (04-15-2020), osu s2k (04-15-2020), point2point (04-16-2020), TheKane (04-17-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:13 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Steve. I never tire of hearing your delivery story, much more exciting than guys like me taking a photo unloading from a truck. Stay safe!
The following 2 users liked this post by osu s2k:
4th911 (04-16-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:46 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osu s2k
Steve. I never tire of hearing your delivery story, much more exciting than guys like me taking a photo unloading from a truck. Stay safe!
+1000. Love that he did it with his “best friend!” I’d love to do a trip like that one day with my wife!
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
4th911 (04-16-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 01:14 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for remembering me @osu s2k and @ScottArizona . It truly was a special trip and a really great adventure, and I'm glad to have friends here cheering me on and remembering it well. My thanks to you and your families, and I hope you're all doing well during 'corona-days'.
Old 04-16-2020 | 07:46 AM
4th911
Advanced

Default Why I have a GT2

This is a great thread to remind us what a great car the GT2 is.

I bought my 2008 GT2 in 2014. I am the 3rd owner, and have never regretted buying it.

I sold my 1995 Merc SL300 to buy my first 911, a 1990 964C2 tip in 1999 and was immediately attracted to the rawness and directness of its feedback and have loved Porsche ever since. From the 964, i moved up to a 94 993C2, then a 95 993TT (which I kept for 5 yrs) and then a 2004 996TT tiptronic with X50 kit and was contemplating a 997 GT3 (having driven a friend's car and loved it while missing the manual 993TT) when this car became available. The manual gear shift, the immediate response of the turbo engine with the VVT compared to the GT3 NA and its rarity made it a no brainer.

Its been an absolute delight everytime I took it out, be it a short trip up the hills or a long journey ( just did 2500 mile 8 day round trip to the south of Thailand last month before the Covid lock down)... yes, it can get unruly if you got a bit heavy footed and sloppy (unlike the GT4) but thats why its so rewarding to drive..it requires respect and skill when you want to have a blast but will happily purr when you drive it as a cruiser. I like to describe the way it drives as a GT3 on steroids. I am still learning to be a better driver driver and everytime I push it further, it lets me know that it will have more to give when I am ready.

Maintenance wise, other than a clutch and some Sharkwerks turbo hose elbows, it's been really good.

My only word of advice? The clutch pedal IS stiff and can be grating if you have to use the car in stop start traffic frequently... if that is not a problem for you...then what are you waiting for??

Whatever you choose to buy..there's no such thing as a bad Porsche...enjoy!!

Honestly, I also have a GT4 which is a blast and quick around the track, and is in fact quicker, but this car is the one that makes you sweat and laugh when you get out after a few laps cos it requires a bit more work to get the same performance out of it.

Like someone said, I will drive this car until my knees won't allow me to enjoy it anymore.

Last edited by 4th911; 04-16-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: speling and typo
The following 2 users liked this post by 4th911:
osu s2k (04-17-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:50 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

I just bought an 08 GT2 a few months ago. I've probably owned 15 porsches; most recent road car was a 991 GT3. I also had a wildly modified 996 GT2. The 997 GT2 is WAY more comfortable, quiet and docile around town than the 991 GT3, which my wife always hated. It's surprisingly non-GT like and very easy to drive, but it still has that old-school 911 light and spritely front-end steering feel that is a bit muted in the 991. It also feels like a much smaller car than the 991. The turbo hit is a hoot, and it will get sideways on you but in a predictable and fun way!

The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...
The following 2 users liked this post by Earlierapex:
4th911 (04-19-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 01:36 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...
You've actually touched on an interesting point here, and something I can personally relate to. The 2008 GT2 is factory equipped with the earlier PCM v2.0, which we can all admit is quite dated when compared to modern cars. I was a bit bummed out when I first learned that my own GT2 had it's PCM v2.0 system completely removed sometime during it's ownership, and instead had a semi-problematic aftermarket stereo installed. I was not a big fan of this, and it really made me question why anyone would remove a stock stereo from any GT2...but there is a silver lining to be found here.

One reason that older era cars from the 90s and early 00s remain popular is that they don't have big screens which can horribly date them. As soon as a manufacturer goes to an integrated screen, it's very likely that this system will not age well, particularly when you fast forward 10+ years into the future. Case in point is my beloved 2012 Lexus IS-F, which has a large integrated screen that appears to be eons old when compared to modern cars.

The former owner of my GT2 unknowingly did me a small favor (it pains me to say this btw, as I've fought with the aftermarket stereo and even had to replace the aftermarket amplifier already) as my own interior remains fairly modern in comparison with a double DIN sized 'modern' touch screen, that I can continue to upgrade over time as technology changes.

Had I purchased a GT2 with the original PCM v2.0, there is no way I'd have pulled it out. I would have found ways to add BlueTooth with aftermarket solutions and to leave the OEM system alone. This is the main reason I always recommend that people try to buy 2009 GT2s, due to the inclusion of PCM v3.0. However, there are only so many 2009 GT2s to go around!
4th911 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 03:34 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

This is all great stuff, and really appreciate the details (and pics). Steve, what a great drive. I drove Charlotte to Vancouver, BC in 2.5 days about 20 years ago in my 1996 BMW E36 M3 (sleeping in my car outside Madison, WI and Butte, MT), and it's amazing to see see that much diversity across the country.

It sounds like if I take the plunge, I'd end up daily driving it a lot more than I expected. I live in the city and drive in traffic about 1 mile to get on the interstate, then reverse commute against traffic to my office for about 12 miles.

I bot the GT3T because it was Brewster Green and specced 95% exactly what I would have done if I was to build it myself. I actually was planning on waiting for a 992 Touring to be released, and was looking at a 997.2 TTS in Dark Blue Metallic in Chicago a few months ago, but I decided to think over the weekend and it sold, and then the green GT3T came up and it felt like destiny.

I've never drive a turbo Porsche before. Have test driven BWM and Audi's and just didn't like the lag feel, but those weren't fast enough to be exhilarating when the boost kicked in.

I love winding out the GT3 on the interstate just for the sound and love the linear feel in general, but like I originally mentioned, I'm looking for something completely different, otherwise I don't see the point in adding another car. Other car in the back of my mind would be a 599 GTB or possibly F12 just because a V12 Ferrari seems like it would be a special car/experience. That said, the general lack of issues, usability, and (relatively) lower maintenance costs had me leaning toward staying within Porsche for the next buy. Also, again, not looking for an investment, but a "store of value" like mchrono said, and it seems like V12 Ferrari's except for the more limited GTO, TDF, etc don't hold up well.

Earlierapex - thanks for the thoughts. i'm surprised you said it feels like a smaller car than the 991 GT3, i just figured the same rear width, but wider tires, and turbo engine would make it feel a bit bigger.

The following 2 users liked this post by atlrvr:
4th911 (04-19-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 05:59 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

.....The only thing I don't like about it is the now extremely dated infotainment system which was old and dated feeling when it was new. There's no bluetooth and the NAV looks like they borrowed it from 1986...
Agree and like Steve mentioned, there is an easy solution to this. All 997 PCM's are easy to swap out and replace with a modern, standard double-din entertainment system. When I bought my GT2, it already had a 2011-vintage system installed. Got all the original PCM gear so was not upset. Easy to re-install it all for 100% factory originality down the road. One of my COVID projects was to update it. Just installed a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX. This gives us Wireless Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Handsfree BT calling, automatic backup camera, etc. etc. Very easy to do and can even do a custom startup screen and wallpaper:

Better yet, if there is some new automotive entertainment technology that comes out in a few years, easy enough to pull this one out and install the newest unit. Try doing that with any of the current generation cars! Some of the folks on the 997 forums are going a step further and installing full native android head units that integrate with the car's canbus like an OEM system.

Assuming you prefer manual over PDK, 5-lugs over centerlocks, and an engine you can actually see from the top, I think with an entertainment system upgrade and a tune, a 997 GT2 will leave you wanting for absolutely nothing.
The following 3 users liked this post by mchrono:
4th911 (04-19-2020), Earlierapex (04-17-2020), Steve Theodore (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 07:36 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Will you guys please stop posting all this crap that is making me want to go out and spend my rainy day/covid safety net on a 997 gt2? By the way, what do these things pump out with just an exhaust, bmc filter, and tune? If I got one that's probably all I would do. Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?
4th911 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 09:57 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?
997.1 RS?
yes, no problem.
Old 04-16-2020 | 10:07 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

...Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?
Bone stock my GT2 put down 490 rwhp on a Dynojet last summer. I have purchased a Cobb AP v3 for it but haven't applied the OTS tune yet as I want to do some Dragy datalogging yet for in gear acceleration before I flash it. I expect to pick up at least 30 rwhp even from the OTS tune, with more available if I get a custom tune. The GT2 is a beast and will run away and hide from a 997.1 GT3 RS in a straight line! From a handling standpoint things get a little more complicated, but the longer the straights, the more advantage goes to the GT2. It really is mostly a GT3 with boost after all.
4th911 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:01 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Will you guys please stop posting all this crap that is making me want to go out and spend my rainy day/covid safety net on a 997 gt2? By the way, what do these things pump out with just an exhaust, bmc filter, and tune? If I got one that's probably all I would do. Would a tuned 997.1 gt2 be able to hang with a .1 rs?
lol sorry! Filter I dont think will make a difference. Exhaust and tune you should be at 550-570 at the wheels. 997 rs makes what? 400-410 at the wheels? 991.1 RS 450-ish? As far as handling / keeping up at the track, closest is probably 997 GT3RS (widebody 997 GT platform). Anyway, not much that can keep up for a combo street/track car even now 12 years later.

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Bone stock my GT2 put down 490 rwhp on a Dynojet last summer. I have purchased a Cobb AP v3 for it but haven't applied the OTS tune yet as I want to do some Dragy datalogging yet for in gear acceleration before I flash it. I expect to pick up at least 30 rwhp even from the OTS tune, with more available if I get a custom tune. The GT2 is a beast and will run away and hide from a 997.1 GT3 RS in a straight line! From a handling standpoint things get a little more complicated, but the longer the straights, the more advantage goes to the GT2. It really is mostly a GT3 with boost after all.
Do a center bypass exhaust like the Sharkwerks at the same time you do the tune, because once tuned, the stock exhaust will be your bottleneck. Makes for a better sound and not too loud or obnoxious. Turbos and cats are all you need...no muffler required. Like you, I dont think I would want to do more than proven bolt-ons that do not permanently modify the car due to its rarity and collectibility, but its tempting seeing how much reliable power some of the 997TT guys are getting with built motors. For handling, there is no downside I have seen against the GT3's in the twisties

Edit: speaking of Sharkwerks, this is my actual car getting its coolant lines done in 2014 by previous owner:
https://www.sharkwerks.com/2008-whit...-pipes-amp-fix
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:35 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
IOn my actual birthday last year (April 2019) I took delivery of my 2008 GT2 and, with my wife happily in tow, we drove it about 2800 miles from Toronto, ON, Canada back to Seattle, WA, Along the way I became a registered importer at the border, got to drive in practically every road condition possible, and generally had one hell of a great time enjoying my new car with my best friend with me! We saw dry roads, wet roads, every fuel grade you can imagine, snowy roads, icy roads, and generally just had a big adventure together. I wouldn't trade any of it and the GT2 was such a wonderful car to make the trip in. We were both sad to finally get home as we truly enjoyed it as a life-long memory.
That's the way to pick up a VERY cool car, nice to someone happy to drive it!! I've driven cars home from Portland, Atlanta, NJ, Toronto, AZ and CA to Chicago. All memories I'll never forget, picked up a 993 in Toronto with then girlfriend and now wife and had a blast. Spent a week in MI on the way home. To me part of the hunt is the retrieval of said win.

Best to all, stay safe!
Steve Theodore (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the 997.1 GT2 still a good car?