Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

996/997 GT2/ SCUDERIA

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:59 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
As long as you have an independent mechanic, the cost of the Ferrari should not be that bad. My friend has had a Ferrari 550 and a 430 and the cost of ownership for him has been reasonable given the level of car you are talking about. .
agreed.
I had the same experience with my 360.
The Scuderia is a GREAT car with a compromised transmission.
The GT2 is a GREAT car with a great transmission, but compromised by turbo.

I agree with above comment, 997.2 RS would be my target.

But hey, do whatever makes YOU happy.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:46 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

Here is my 2 cents, with the disclaimer that I have not actually driven either car. Also, I'm a Porsche fanboy but really appreciate the Italians as well (see signature). In my opinion, this is a super tough decision. 997 gt2 has a mezger, is dead reliable, relatively cheap/easy to work on, and nothing to technologically "exotic" or temperamental by today's standards. I also believe they are significantly undervalued at the moment. Also very "moddable" (and those mods are easily reversed if desired). Scuderia is pure beauty in motion, and I'm sure a hoot to drive. I have only driven 430's and I love the way they feel, so I can only imagine how much fun a scud would be to drive. They are apparently very, very fast (there are videos online showing them keeping up with and just edging out 991 gt3's, which is quite a testament to the car I think). Not the same power delivery and torque as a gt2, but blazing fast no doubt still. I also think that in time Scud's will be very valuable, so lots of upside there. But therein lies the problem (same problem with all nice Italian supercars): I 100% guaranty that you will drive and truly "enjoy" a scud less than a gt2. People told me I would eventually bubblewrap my manual gallardo and I didn't believe them. I told them I was going to drive it all the time, and for a while I did, until that is I didn't. Putting miles on those cars, and especially something like a CS or Scud, just kills resale value, and even if you don't think you care about that at first, unless you are loaded you will probably start to care once the novelty wears off. That's what happened to me. Finally, I think a nice condition scud is still quite a bit more dough than a similar condition 997 gt2, if that is a consideration. Finally, the repair costs of the scud are kind of scary...lots of horror stories about cats destroying engines and 5 figure transmission repair bills. You lunch a scud engine and that would be a bad day. Again, tough choice, so much so that I say just get both.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:57 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Im biased. you know what my answer is.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:04 PM
04scsaleen325
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Op. Ever pull the trigger on the 996 turbo you were looking at 5-6 years ago?
i wound up buying a c6 zr1. but now I'm back to square one. lol

in the end I'm leaning towards the porsche. been looking up repair costs, such as clutch on the scud and its minimum 7k even at an independent repair shop. i can vomit thinking of that lol.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:09 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 04scsaleen325
i wound up buying a c6 zr1. but now I'm back to square one. lol

in the end I'm leaning towards the porsche. been looking up repair costs, such as clutch on the scud and its minimum 7k even at an independent repair shop. i can vomit thinking of that lol.
What did you think of the zr1?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:37 AM
04scsaleen325
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
What did you think of the zr1?

absolutely loved it. A very under rated car in my oponion. Its in my top 3 best looking cars of all time. Very very fast. Of the gt2s havent come down in my price range id be owning another one as we speak. However i will have to see how the new ones are before i buy another
Old 02-20-2020, 11:58 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
People told me I would eventually bubblewrap my manual gallardo and I didn't believe them. I told them I was going to drive it all the time, and for a while I did, until that is I didn't.
Scott, I was at a lambo dealer last weekend.
Went for a short ride in an 09? Special Edition anniversary Gallardo 3 pedal car.
If it wasn't white I would have bought it.
It wasn't the $195,000 ask price that held me back, HONEST......................................

They told me that the 3 pedal option added $50K to their ask.
I think they pay too much attention to hagerty.

Different dealer but similar car.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Went for a short ride in an 09? Special Edition anniversary Gallardo 3 pedal car.
It wasn't the $195,000 ask price that held me back, HONEST......................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUcnqVnqGmY

Balboni edition? have read that the RWD system on the car isn't calibrated the best for TSC and the safety features. The later models were more tuned. di you experience this? you drive it?
Old 02-20-2020, 11:58 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Never owned a 6-2 or 7-2, but have owned a 7-2rs and scud. Such, such different cars I just don’t think they are cars u can make a pro/con or better/worse comparison. They are pizza vs burgers: meaning yes, they are both great. They are just massively different. If you drive both, I don’t think you will struggle deciding.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:38 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Did you drive it? That car truly represents, imho, the pinnacle of the entire gallardo range (I'd take it even over a Super Trofeo). And, to be honest, I'm not sure a 50k premium is that bad for a manual lp. Did you know there are only 49 lp manual cars that came to North America? And that car is 2wd from the factory, which is super sweet. For the record, I think there were 2-3 manual balboni's tops (and one was a lemon buy-back that got snatched up and went to a collector in France a few years ago, and still went for a pretty penny despite the "branded" history." I have converted my car to rwd and with the manual and weight reduction, its a total beast to drive. I little racous, but I like it like that!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

No, didn't drive it.
Just a passenger.
I was driving my Audi Avant, so he could sniff out I didn't have the coin to pay.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:58 PM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts

That Lambo looks like the Anniversary edition LP560-2 gate manual. There is only 100 in the US I think and half of them are convertibles. Regardless, its worth the money I believe.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobodrink
That Lambo looks like the Anniversary edition LP560-2 gate manual. There is only 100 in the US I think and half of them are convertibles. Regardless, its worth the money I believe.
actually, pretty well documented that there are less than 50 gated Manual lp’s in the us. Def a rare bird.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
actually, pretty well documented that there are less than 50 gated Manual lp’s in the us. Def a rare bird.
Sales dude told me it was one of three, 3 pedal cars of the anniversary edition.
great opportunity for a collector $$$$$
LMK if you want to know where it is located.

Quick Reply: 996/997 GT2/ SCUDERIA