Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stock 997.2RS Suspension 2 Bilstein Club-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 11:10 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Stock 997.2RS Suspension 2 Bilstein Club-Sport

I'm considering the Bilstein Clubsports for my 2011 RS and wanted to get some thoughts from those that made the change from stock.

Drive Maybe a few track days a year but mostly canyon runs.

From what I gathered the improvement between stock RS MK1 suspension and Club-Sport is dramatic. Wondering if the improvements were as dramatic on the MK2.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 659 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy
I'm considering the Bilstein Clubsports for my 2011 RS and wanted to get some thoughts from those that made the change from stock.

Drive Maybe a few track days a year but mostly canyon runs.

From what I gathered the improvement between stock RS MK1 suspension and Club-Sport is dramatic. Wondering if the improvements were as dramatic on the MK2.
PASM has improved with each GT3 Gen. I spoke to Joey Seely yesterday and he said the newest Gen (991) is the best PASM yet and he is now offering custom spring set ups for 991 cars. Back to our cars, if I drove my car everyday on a table top smooth track I'd leave it alone! But fast street driving on poor MN roads IMO exposes it's shortcomings in comfort and ride control. The boys at Sharky picked the Bilstein setup because it one of the best all around set it and leave it alone dampers out there. Your car will ride miles better on those than stock PASM IMO. As you work your way up the ladder in price on dampers it gets even better. Just depends where you want to stop.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 11-07-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:14 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
As you work your way up the ladder in price on dampers it gets even better. Just depends where you want to stop.
Thx. I drive bumpy roads fast and that makes me think I need another solution. The Bilsteins are at the top of my budget and recommended by Alex but I also like "the best" in all things in every category in life. So what are "the best" for the 997.2 RS? Right now the experts are saying Bilstein Club Sport but I like to know what else is out there.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:48 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you considered the DSC module? The dynamic response of the DSC module allows for a comfortable ride but stiffens accordingly when driven spiritedly.

Ive has bilstein coilovers in other vehicles and was never too impressed. Suspension seemed to “crash” over bumps. I currently have JRZ Rs pro on my Gt3 and they ride better than the stock suspension even though the JRZ have stiffer springs. but if I had to do it again I would have kept my stock coilovers with the DSC module.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

stock .2 is fine
if bumpy, just floor it, drive through it. don't be a *****
when shocks die, get Bilstein CS. put them in no worry no adj
you want better, I always ran moton CS (now called MCS)
you want best Ohlin TTX, assuming you know how to adj
the more I drove, the more I like OEM
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (11-16-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Ttx
Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Have you considered the DSC module? The dynamic response of the DSC module allows for a comfortable ride but stiffens accordingly when driven spiritedly.

Ive has bilstein coilovers in other vehicles and was never too impressed. Suspension seemed to “crash” over bumps. I currently have JRZ Rs pro on my Gt3 and they ride better than the stock suspension even though the JRZ have stiffer springs. but if I had to do it again I would have kept my stock coilovers with the DSC module.
Considered it as I have it in my 991.1 GTS w no complaints but didn't hear great things about it in the 997.2 RS. I hear it's great in the 997.1RS
Old 11-08-2019, 01:21 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by mooty
stock .2 is fine
if bumpy, just floor it, drive through it. don't be a *****
when shocks die, get Bilstein CS. put them in no worry no adj
you want better, I always ran moton CS (now called MCS)
you want best Ohlin TTX, assuming you know how to adj
the more I drove, the more I like OEM
No clue how to adjust. I know oil, brake pads and fluid. Busted my forgelines flooring it over bumps so now I'm conditioned to being a ***** on bumps. Darwin. Is my 3.8 suspension same as 4.0?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:29 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Ttx
those look incredibly nice. 10k for a set?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

No clue how to adjust. Is my 3.8 suspension same as 4.0?
your gonna need someone to dial-in. SW can do

Not same as 4.0
Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Thx. I drive bumpy roads fast and that makes me think I need another solution. The Bilsteins are at the top of my budget and recommended by Alex but I also like "the best" in all things in every category in life. So what are "the best" for the 997.2 RS? Right now the experts are saying Bilstein Club Sport but I like to know what else is out there.
DSC has potential if you can get it to not scream with the high pitch interference noise between the module when PASM is activated. I know five users that have encountered this. Including me. By far the cheapest initial fix.

Ohlins/KW/JRZ: All fantastic and have dampers from 4k to 10k depending on your needs. These are all set up dependent and when dialed in for spring rate and adjusted will yield a fantastic result. But if you just install and leave them you will not get the result you want. I wouldn't install without a 997 suspension tuner who works closely with one of these brands. And you will need to learn the adjustments for street and track.

If budget is a concern and learning curve is not your deal the Bilsteins work great. I think they are single adjustment and not complicated. Sharky can set you up. This is a great option until you want to go bigger..

Ever driver has a different tolerance to what they feel is a rough ride. Mooty says blast through it but for me in the city, backroads etc. the MN winters trash the roads and I’m tired of bumps that literally knock the wheel sideways in my hands or uneven surfaces where my head hits the roof. I’m still weighing options and will decide and get the work done over winter

Good Luck!

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 11-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 952 Likes on 529 Posts

Hello. Sorry for off topic, I wanted to share info regarding the electrical noise from just a few DSC controllers. The stats are 5 out of 1000+ units. The noise is RF(Radio Frequency) picked up and broadcasted by the speakers as a result of an unshielded or deteriorating speaker wire or radio amplifier ground wire somewhere on the car, or car has aftermarket sound system. In each of the 5 cars we exchanged the DSC with another unit and the same RF noise occurs on these 5 isoloated cars. The returned units did not make any noise when we tested them in other cars. So why does the factory PASM controller doesn’t make RF noise on the isolated cars? It’s because in order for DSC to have much wider range of damper control it must operate at a higher radio frequency. I think at this time there’s more than 200 happy customer with 997.2 RS and many more with 997.2 GT3(with has the same part number PASM dampers and springs as RS). So no radio wiring flaw no issue.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hello. Sorry for off topic, I wanted to share info regarding the electrical noise from just a few DSC controllers. The stats are 5 out of 1000+ units. The noise is RF(Radio Frequency) picked up and broadcasted by the speakers as a result of an unshielded or deteriorating speaker wire or radio amplifier ground wire somewhere on the car, or car has aftermarket sound system. In each of the 5 cars we exchanged the DSC with another unit and the same RF noise occurs on these 5 isoloated cars. The returned units did not make any noise when we tested them in other cars. So why does the factory PASM controller doesn’t make RF noise on the isolated cars? It’s because in order for DSC to have much wider range of damper control it must operate at a higher radio frequency. I think at this time there’s more than 200 happy customer with 997.2 RS and many more with 997.2 GT3(with has the same part number PASM dampers and springs as RS). So no radio wiring flaw no issue.
Thanks Tom. In the interest of accuracy I feel the need to respond. I’m only going to say this once because I’m not interested in any sort of debate in regard to this issue on this forum. You are too good of a guy and your customer service was too perfect for me to say anything negative. That said, I have spoken to another customer Including myself and we have not had any aftermarket radio work done on our cars that we know of. As far as finding an unshielded or deteriorating wire somewhere in a .2 GT3/RS writing loom seems not only unlikely but far too labor intensive of a process for a product that’s supposed to be plug and play. I’m guessing there may be others out there that haven’t noticed the sound yet or have decided to live with it. I think until you can unequivocally determine what is causing this the question will linger for me. I will say while I used the DSC controller it worked well and as advertised. Take care-
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,106 Posts

those look incredibly nice. 10k for a set?
the shocks are the cheap part.

if you really want to make the jump with a different chassis, you need to go all in. I feel like unless you keep stock or maybe the DSC PASM controller... it's like all in, or nothing.

Because if you make the jump with a shock like the TTX or another race type damper, these things are systems. SO you get great damping control but now you have sloppy rubber everywhere

But that's just my opinion
Old 11-08-2019, 06:49 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

As I often do, on most topics I seek out the experts. Sounds like the Bilstein CS is better for street and Ohlins are best for track. ymmv. Now if Bilsteins were actually available!
The following 2 users liked this post by cajerseyboy:
Boisecar (11-14-2019), Epicben (11-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Stock 997.2RS Suspension 2 Bilstein Club-Sport