Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking of selling my sharkwerks 3.9

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:09 AM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

My car has solid suspension with the ohlins and it’s actually pretty good at absorbing small bumps and dips. I didn’t do the mods the previous owner didn’t seem to spare much and I thank them😁 Drove 3-4hrs a few times with friends and I felt pretty good getting out. Also best sounding engines on earth but what do I know
Old 10-31-2019, 01:24 AM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Lol funny you say that as I have a supercharged 2017 R8. They are great cars!
Glad to hear that a fellow GT3 owner [and one who I sense from previous commentary, drives his very hard, as do I] really likes his R8! Those cars have intrigued me for sometime now. While they don't seem to be necessarily held in high regard on the 997 GT2/GT3 forum, interestingly, there seem to be quite a few former GT3 owners who speak very glowingly about theirs on the R8 forums, and for the most part don't seem to regret selling their GT P-car. In my book a supercharger or turbo/twin turbo is definitely called for on an R8. I have been keeping my eye out for a used older manual Underground Racing twin turbo R8 for approaching two years now but they seemingly never come on the market. Manual or auto for that matter, although I am aware of a black 2012/2013 auto that has been listed for sale for quite sometime now and at a very high price.

Flsupraguy, per chance have you ever heard/seen of an UGR R8 come up for sale and if so, any idea if the owner of one is basically able to get most of their money out of the car when they sell it? And if you wouldn't mind sharing a few thoughts about how your supercharged R8 compares to your 3.9 GT3 when aggressively driven on the street, I would be most grateful! Thanks, Bruce
Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

your car is amazing, if u can keep that beast!!

^ have you contacted UGR regarding your search? From what ive heard they connect alot of buyers and sellers.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by BDCGT3
Glad to hear that a fellow GT3 owner [and one who I sense from previous commentary, drives his very hard, as do I] really likes his R8! Those cars have intrigued me for sometime now. While they don't seem to be necessarily held in high regard on the 997 GT2/GT3 forum, interestingly, there seem to be quite a few former GT3 owners who speak very glowingly about theirs on the R8 forums, and for the most part don't seem to regret selling their GT P-car. In my book a supercharger or turbo/twin turbo is definitely called for on an R8. I have been keeping my eye out for a used older manual Underground Racing twin turbo R8 for approaching two years now but they seemingly never come on the market. Manual or auto for that matter, although I am aware of a black 2012/2013 auto that has been listed for sale for quite sometime now and at a very high price.

Flsupraguy, per chance have you ever heard/seen of an UGR R8 come up for sale and if so, any idea if the owner of one is basically able to get most of their money out of the car when they sell it? And if you wouldn't mind sharing a few thoughts about how your supercharged R8 compares to your 3.9 GT3 when aggressively driven on the street, I would be most grateful! Thanks, Bruce
I previously had a 2011 twin turbo gated v10 manual R8. It wasnt a UGR build but did produce nearly 800hp at all 4 wheels on 93 octane. In a straight line a turbo or supercharged R8 would destroy a 3.9, 4.1, or nearly any other GT3. However, the problem with R8's (and many other cars) is they are heavy and if you plan to track them frequently and GT3 or other 911 variant is a better track car (hence why I sold the turbo r8, bought the 3.9 gt3 for track duty, and kept the supercharged 2017 r8 as weekend toy/cruiser).

If you dont plan to track, get a supercharged or turbo's r8. It's a more exciting weekend toy. However, if you can only afford one or plan to track frequently get a GT3.

Just my $.02.......
Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
^^^ nice story. love that you went for the full stable of ,..... kids! Lol. Just joking around,... kids were the BEST thing my wife & I ever did. They ground us, and then even grow up to become car nutts too! And they will ALWAYS support our not-so-logical GT purchases. Sounds like your wife likes the GT3 too.

What color did you get for your 997.2 GT3? .... Any notable options that you love?

guessing it's not a SW 3.9,.... but clearly the moral of your story is .... KEEP IT flsupraguy!!
=Steve

Well I wouldn't say she likes the GT3, but she appreciates it . Mine is a meteor grey 2010 GT3 with ceramic brakes. Previous owner pinned the pipes, installed a 4.0 lightweight flywheel clutch and a Sharkwerks exhaust, then drove almost 30k miles in a year and a half. I'm at 40,300 miles now and just love the feel and the sound regardless if I'm driving fast or slow.

Oldest son is 16 and close to driving on his own. I don't want more than three cars so the GT3 may be in the next car shuffle.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 AM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by go-ran
your car is amazing, if u can keep that beast!!

^ have you contacted UGR regarding your search? From what ive heard they connect alot of buyers and sellers.
A belated thanks for the suggestion that I contact UGR directly. I had hoped that by simply responding when one turned up for sale, that might ensure my getting one of their R8's at the best possible price. Hearing that UGR has connected buyers with sellers in the past, obviously tells me what I should have done. Thanks again! Bruce
Old 11-07-2019, 03:10 AM
BDCGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I previously had a 2011 twin turbo gated v10 manual R8. It wasnt a UGR build but did produce nearly 800hp at all 4 wheels on 93 octane. In a straight line a turbo or supercharged R8 would destroy a 3.9, 4.1, or nearly any other GT3. However, the problem with R8's (and many other cars) is they are heavy and if you plan to track them frequently and GT3 or other 911 variant is a better track car (hence why I sold the turbo r8, bought the 3.9 gt3 for track duty, and kept the supercharged 2017 r8 as weekend toy/cruiser).

If you dont plan to track, get a supercharged or turbo's r8. It's a more exciting weekend toy. However, if you can only afford one or plan to track frequently get a GT3.

Just my $.02.......
And a good 2 cents at that! Thanks. Having done the track thing in the 1990's and given the lack of canyons in these parts or something even remotely comparable, I find myself relegated to mostly 60 -130 mph blasts on straights and given the kid in me, somehow that never seems to get old. Thus the weight of an R8 is not of much concern as I too would use it as a weekend, if not daily, cruiser. It was just nice to read that a seemingly aggressive driver with a 3.9 GT3, thinks very highly of his supercharged R8 as well. Bruce
Old 11-07-2019, 09:17 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BDCGT3
And a good 2 cents at that! Thanks. Having done the track thing in the 1990's and given the lack of canyons in these parts or something even remotely comparable, I find myself relegated to mostly 60 -130 mph blasts on straights and given the kid in me, somehow that never seems to get old. Thus the weight of an R8 is not of much concern as I too would use it as a weekend, if not daily, cruiser. It was just nice to read that a seemingly aggressive driver with a 3.9 GT3, thinks very highly of his supercharged R8 as well. Bruce
Thanks. I try to be every open minded. I've had a ton of cars and they ALL have their pros and cons. If you like manuals look into a gated manual 1st generation R8, they are a great car for the money (just make sure it has been maintained). Good luck
Old 11-07-2019, 04:18 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Update: found out today my third is going to be a girl. Between family and business I wont have time to track for a long time. I'm going to create a formal sale ad on here in the next few days at $130k firm. I'm in a positional financially where I dont have to sell so I'll be firm on my price as it will be next to impossible to get back into this car down the road. I'll PM all of those that have already reached out to me.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my sharkwerks 3.9