Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Cup 2's on and before the alignment......

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:32 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Default New Cup 2's on and before the alignment......

I would like to shore up the suspension without breaking the bank.

Wondering what are the best parts to start with. Both front and rear. Don't want to spend more than $2,000 on the parts for the time being. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:38 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Stock.. unless you want to add more context around what your goal is.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

It's stock, aligned and corner balanced. I want the handling to be more like a scalpel. The front and rear have a little more sway than I like.

Since I just shod with new tires, though now would be a great time to start upgrading some of the parts. Whether they be new stock parts of aftermarket, just though the members could offer some insight.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM
noro78
Racer

Monoball inner control arm piece for the fronts
RSS style 2 piece control arm in the rear with monoball inner side.. you can use a stock front outter piece in conjuction with a monball inner piece
Adjustable rear toe links with solid monoball bushings.
Optionally monoball style upper wishbones in the rear.. I reverted mine back to stock.. somehow it feels better.

This should solidify a lot of the geometry changes under load.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 AM
noro78
Racer

And yeah... maybe drop in a 10mm shim in the front just so you have more camber to play with in conjuction with the top shock tower adjustment.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:38 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this information.

I was looking at the whole lower control arms vs the inners only. Thinking the inners are good enough for how I drive the car so there's some savings right there.

Read on the other thread about some aftermarket parts that didn't stand the test of time. Looks like GMG and RSS are good options but GMG's prices are up there. Maybe I'll take a look at what BBi has to offer.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I've gathered GT2 rear sway is a cheap, easy, very good mod

on my to do list - part is ~$500 at Suncoast
Old 07-02-2019, 06:04 PM
VPD255M
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If 997.1 then GT2/997.2 GT3 rear ARB
Adjustable/monoball rear toe arms - Porsche Motorsport/997 Cup (why choose anything else?)

If wishbones are wearing, the rubber starting to delaminate, then front Motorsport wishbones with rubber inner, followed by rear wishbones with monoball inners.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Thanks for this information.

I was looking at the whole lower control arms vs the inners only. Thinking the inners are good enough for how I drive the car so there's some savings right there.

Read on the other thread about some aftermarket parts that didn't stand the test of time. Looks like GMG and RSS are good options but GMG's prices are up there. Maybe I'll take a look at what BBi has to offer.
Hey there! We're glad you're considering our products. If you have any questions about the parts you're looking at or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're more than happy to help!

1.714.432.1582 or email Sales@gmgracing.com
gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-04-2019, 08:29 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this for the street or the track? Or both?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:32 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Just street and some early am fast canyons.

No trailer so no track for this puppy.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's stock, aligned and corner balanced. I want the handling to be more like a scalpel. The front and rear have a little more sway than I like.

Since I just shod with new tires, though now would be a great time to start upgrading some of the parts. Whether they be new stock parts of aftermarket, just though the members could offer some insight.
If you want to handling to be more like a scalpel, then you need to reduce compliance in the suspension. This includes any suspension parts with rubber bushings. For a budget of $2,000 you can only do so much because it isn't going to be cheap to make big changes. The tradeoff is going to be harsher ride quality and more road noise transmitted into the cabin. There is no free lunch here.
The GT2 sway bar is a good improvement. You can only do so much with alignment for street driving, but I would set the toe to zero, at least in front. Do a search on alignments to see what other folks have done. A full track alignment, with a lot of negative camber, will maximize grip on the track but it won't be usable much on the street because it will trash your tires.
Look into monoball parts, maybe starting with camber plates. You can do this incrementally as your budget allows. At some point you will realize the limitations of the OEM PASM suspension. I changed out the PASM suspension for aftermarket coilovers, which made a big improvement, but that's not cheap.
The Cup 2 tires will also make a good improvement. The sidewalls are stiffer than regular street tires so the car will be more responsive to steering input.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 PM
oreganoflow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just street and some early am fast canyons.
gotta be able to hang with a stock setup equivalent in the canyons first

say when...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:48 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Jake951
If you want to handling to be more like a scalpel, then you need to reduce compliance in the suspension. This includes any suspension parts with rubber bushings. For a budget of $2,000 you can only do so much because it isn't going to be cheap to make big changes. The tradeoff is going to be harsher ride quality and more road noise transmitted into the cabin. There is no free lunch here.
The GT2 sway bar is a good improvement. You can only do so much with alignment for street driving, but I would set the toe to zero, at least in front. Do a search on alignments to see what other folks have done. A full track alignment, with a lot of negative camber, will maximize grip on the track but it won't be usable much on the street because it will trash your tires.
Look into monoball parts, maybe starting with camber plates. You can do this incrementally as your budget allows. At some point you will realize the limitations of the OEM PASM suspension. I changed out the PASM suspension for aftermarket coilovers, which made a big improvement, but that's not cheap.
The Cup 2 tires will also make a good improvement. The sidewalls are stiffer than regular street tires so the car will be more responsive to steering input.
After looking at parts, I've increased my budget to $4,000. The car is already at "0" toe, and it's corner balanced. Not looking for a track alignment or a terrible street ride but do want a bit more than what I'm currently feeling. Going to start putting together a list. I'll post up here and maybe the members can help me sort through it.

Thanks to all for chiming in. Keep it coming.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oreganoflow
gotta be able to hang with a stock setup equivalent in the canyons first

say when...
I have no idea what this reply even means.

Quick Reply: New Cup 2's on and before the alignment......