Thank u very much
Apriciat your help..
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blaksquirrel
997.1 GT3

I did my clutch and flywheel a few years ago when I welded the coolant lines. Used the 4.0 updated parts but don't have part numbers. I like the RS flywheel but it is noticeably touchier on engagement and is louder at idle. Does rev faster.

If you do the RS flywheel you HAVE TO do the RS or a dampened pulley!
http://performancedevelopments.com/p...enginefailure/

I did not initially do the pulley and backed out my crank pulley bolt after some (15k?) miles. There is no warning, just sudden loss of power steering, cooling, and lots of dash lights. Shut the car off immediately and suffered no damage, but it was annoying and stranded me.
which shop did you use for welding coolant line?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 PM
blaksquirrel
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My coolant lines were done at Lufteknic in Richmond - quite far from NYC but I know the owner and had some time. Where are you in NY?
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

in NYC also
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

I am not sure about the 997.1, but it can't be too far from the 996 GT3.

As I draw nearer to replacing my own clutch I have the same dilemma. A lightweight flywheel and RS clutch would be really cool, but...

There are downsides for a mostly street car. You will get more noise from the transaxle in the form of rattles when idling at a light. This will distract from the daily drive-ability some, but you get faster revs. Faster revs won't really translate to much. Any real improvement in vehicle speed is probably unnoticeable.

I only daily drive my car and run autocross. Once I hit second gear on the autocross track I just stay there through the run, so no advantage with the RS clutch for me.

While the romance of an RS clutch is a strong pull, it has virtually zero advantage on the autocross course and will only make the interior noisier at a premium price. For that reason I am leaning for the OEM dual-mass clutch. The original clutch already has lasted 136K miles, so there's no advantage to longevity with the RS.

Your needs and mileage may vary. If you intend to track the car regularly, then a lightweight flywheel and single mass clutch is probably a good investment. If you want the "cool factor", then the RS clutch is fun listening to the engine rev fast (had one on my 964).
The following users liked this post:
jcdeng (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I'd be ok w/better throttle response and I don't mind the noise so much (no extended commutes)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 PM
blaksquirrel
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marv
I am not sure about the 997.1, but it can't be too far from the 996 GT3.

As I draw nearer to replacing my own clutch I have the same dilemma. A lightweight flywheel and RS clutch would be really cool, but...

There are downsides for a mostly street car. You will get more noise from the transaxle in the form of rattles when idling at a light. This will distract from the daily drive-ability some, but you get faster revs. Faster revs won't really translate to much. Any real improvement in vehicle speed is probably unnoticeable.

I only daily drive my car and run autocross. Once I hit second gear on the autocross track I just stay there through the run, so no advantage with the RS clutch for me.

While the romance of an RS clutch is a strong pull, it has virtually zero advantage on the autocross course and will only make the interior noisier at a premium price. For that reason I am leaning for the OEM dual-mass clutch. The original clutch already has lasted 136K miles, so there's no advantage to longevity with the RS.

Your needs and mileage may vary. If you intend to track the car regularly, then a lightweight flywheel and single mass clutch is probably a good investment. If you want the "cool factor", then the RS clutch is fun listening to the engine rev fast (had one on my 964).
This is all right on, good description. Would I do it again? Probably. You do have to not mind the changes in the drivability.

Quick Reply: 997. 1 clutch replacement