Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Interpreting DME Readouts - new video

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019 | 04:15 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Also, AutoWerks, if you don't mind me indulging here.... What is the difference between a "wimpy soft over rev",... and a "hard pip" ??
If you let the car run in its default mode (traction control and stability on) put it in first gear and leave your foot on the floor it will sort of gently settle itself on the redline and stay there. It feels like the ECU pulls throttle as it winds out so that it can make a smooth transition to the limiter. Just line in Doug's video, it's a non event and if they didn't know any better a passenger might not even know that its on a limiter. If you turn the traction control and stability control off and place it in sport mode it will bang off a hard limiter. It sounds like the 996 GT3 from Doug's video. If you left your foot planted it would continue bouncing against the limiter "pip pip pip pip...." and you would see the tach bounce several hundred RPM constantly until you lifted.
Old 03-27-2019 | 05:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
If you let the car run in its default mode (traction control and stability on) put it in first gear and leave your foot on the floor it will sort of gently settle itself on the redline and stay there. It feels like the ECU pulls throttle as it winds out so that it can make a smooth transition to the limiter. Just line in Doug's video, it's a non event and if they didn't know any better a passenger might not even know that its on a limiter. If you turn the traction control and stability control off and place it in sport mode it will bang off a hard limiter. It sounds like the 996 GT3 from Doug's video. If you left your foot planted it would continue bouncing against the limiter "pip pip pip pip...." and you would see the tach bounce several hundred RPM constantly until you lifted.
Side note/question. I have noticed you can neutral throttle blip 997's and 996's with no "interruption" in the throttle curve. Meaning they will rev cleanly under full throttle blips to redline but 991 GT3's feel like there is a almost the same throttle retardation you speak of when you try to full throttle blip them. Make sense?
Old 03-27-2019 | 05:19 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

As I'm 997 GT2 shopping right now (waiting to schedule my independent PPI), this video could not be more helpful. Thank you very much Doug!
Old 03-27-2019 | 06:06 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Side note/question. I have noticed you can neutral throttle blip 997's and 996's with no "interruption" in the throttle curve. Meaning they will rev cleanly under full throttle blips to redline but 991 GT3's feel like there is a almost the same throttle retardation you speak of when you try to full throttle blip them. Make sense?
if you mean blipping for a downshift, then yes it has been a bit of a learning curve to get right. The throttle input seems to be a bit muddy compared to the actual engine response. Sometimes I get more than I want, and sometimes less. It certainly doesn't drive like a cable throttle to me. I haven't really tried free revving it to the red line in neutral, so if that's what you mean, I don't have any experience.
Old 03-27-2019 | 10:48 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
if you mean blipping for a downshift, then yes it has been a bit of a learning curve to get right. The throttle input seems to be a bit muddy compared to the actual engine response. Sometimes I get more than I want, and sometimes less. It certainly doesn't drive like a cable throttle to me. I haven't really tried free revving it to the red line in neutral, so if that's what you mean, I don't have any experience.
Sorry, what I’m referring to is when the cars are not moving. 997 in neutral or clutch in and 991 in Park. Not a big deal just a quirk I noticed having had both GT3s. The PDK car won’t rev freely like the 997. Feels like it has fuel cut..
Old 03-29-2019 | 12:03 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

looking good Douglas
Old 04-07-2019 | 08:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Replying to my own post.

Doug states that Gen 1 997 GT3 Range 1 over-rev, is not recorded the same as Gen 2 GT3 over-rev. The color chart below just has one line for all 997 GT3. Then I also see a post over here...

Post # 2180: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...hread-146.html
... where BryanCO states that range 1 is 600 rpm over redline ... assuming he is talking about 997.1 since it is in response to a member who is selling his Gen 1.

Does anyone have a better chart that also show the redlines for each of the cars, PLUS differentiates between generations of these cars, since that seems to also make a difference??

TIA,
=Steve

Originally Posted by switchcars
996 GT3 vs 997 GT3. The 996 GT3 Range one is at redline. The 997 GT3 range one is at 9k rpm. You cannot record a Range One in a 997 GT3 no matter how hard you try bouncing it off the rev limiter.
Thanks Doug. And since it seems relevant to this conversation as well.... I'll re-post a chart that Igooz' posted over in the GT2 thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...997-gt2-7.html

This chart would be even better if it showed what the redline is for each of these vehicles, ... making it easy to determine if that car registers over-revs at redline, or something higher...

=Steve
Old 04-07-2019 | 10:00 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Very Nice video. Thanks for posting

Quick Reply: Interpreting DME Readouts - new video