Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Hell, just bought what I liked!
That's been my strategy the whole time, and it's worked out so far. Sometimes I have to remind myself to stay on the path.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

If you play in the high end sports car realm for around a decade or more and you buy and sell cars fairly regularly, the losses will become something you just accept as part and parcel of the journey. It still gets my attention sometimes but then the next latest greatest pushes it aside like a leaf in the wind. Yes, it can be pricey, but it’s a beautiful journey chock full of sublime experiences and stellar memories. We’re quite a crew!
Old 12-15-2018, 04:39 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
If you play in the high end sports car realm for around a decade or more and you buy and sell cars fairly regularly, the losses will become something you just accept as part and parcel of the journey. It still gets my attention sometimes but then the next latest greatest pushes it aside like a leaf in the wind. Yes, it can be pricey, but it’s a beautiful journey chock full of sublime experiences and stellar memories. We’re quite a crew!
It's interesting that you think that way. I admire it. I admire the courage, tenacity, and wherewithal it takes to play in that game. I don't have the cajónes or deep pockets.

But I certainly HAVE enjoyed backing myself up by about a decade or two (since my teenage years),... and buying 15-20 yr old sports cars to drive & play with. Doing so has almost always allowed me to come out on top (value/re-sale wise). Yet I'm always behind the 8-ball on new technology,... but that's what my dreams are for. When I wake up I still have a blast driving the **** out of whatever I own. Only recently have I dove into the GT realm with a 7.2GT3, and this is really the first time I've only gone back 8 yrs or so to jump in. But at this point in my life I am much less worried about what value it might have in 5-10 years. Just don't care.

OP: "GT Owners are Smart" Smart?? ... I rather think GT owners are tenacious. They want what they want, and can justify it every-which-way-but-Tuesday... for our male owners, just ask our wives.

Whatever your take,... enjoy the journey.
=Steve
Old 12-15-2018, 04:46 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I swapped my wife for a GT3, haven't looked back since. Hands down maintaining the wife was by far more costly, astronomical if you price in the cost of nerves.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys - Great thread! I agree totally with Josh, who I by the way I consider to be a friend on the board and an all around great guy. Mooty I have never had the pleasure of meeting but clearly the one guy who knows the GT car market and knows how to enjoy it. Personally I sold a townhouse in Chicago in 2009 to move to NYC, took a little bath there, didn’t buy in NYC in 2010 and moved to CT in 2014 and my house is now -15% and counting. Hell the GT3 although I think I paid the high there too is probably going to turn out to be a good investment as far as cars go and psychologically the best think I did for my self after my family. Enjoy in good health!

Quick Reply: GT3 Owners are smart