Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 exhaust setup to reduce sound (Laguna!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:34 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default GT3 exhaust setup to reduce sound (Laguna!)

Read more than I can digest on options and variations... what setup do you all have when trying to reduce decibels while still sounding good?

Right now I have stock headers/cats/side mufflers and a BBI center section. Sounds amazing.. but loud at 103+db. Stuck on which center/side muffler combo to go with. Some of the options out there:

OEM/stock center section
Dundon quiet lifetime center muffler
Dondon side muffler deletes
Fabspeed mini maxflo center section replacement
Turn-away/Laguna pipes (not sure who makes these now?)
GPS valve close (not sure if these still exist?)
Tubi/Kline/iPe etc

Interested in what combo you drive and what decibel you can achieve? I'm assuming all the center section deletes (sharkwerks, fabseep, tubi etc) all have similar decibel ratings.

Thanks
Matty
Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Was actually speaking to someone today regarding this. They told me they simply lift off the throttle as they approach and pass the decibel meter. Obviously not feasible if you're chasing lap times. And as far as I know, the GPS valve close still exists (I was told around $800).
Old 08-05-2018, 11:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ whomever u talked to is either EXTREMELY slow or he got lucky.
if u just lift throttle u will pass. but the tower will figure it out. you will get caught.

GPS works
turn pipes works some of the time
that's about it.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Mooty - are you saying that stock exhaust and/or Dundon “quiet” mufflers aren’t even quiet enough?

if yes.. these sound restrictions are even worse than I thought!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Stephen Ayers
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speak with Aleks at Alekshop. GPS device good for 92db. Diverter pipes needed for 90db. He has both.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Ayers
Speak with Aleks at Alekshop. GPS device good for 92db. Diverter pipes needed for 90db. He has both.
+1

lifting didn’t work for me...still got dinged for 98db lifting to half throttle and a gear high. My car has aftermarket headers, side muffler delete and stock center.

when I had a gmg center bypass, stock header and stock side muffler, I passed sound once by forcing the valves closed using a vacuum cap on the exhaust pressure switch. Not the best way to do it though due to the heat build up in the cats from keeping the valves closed the whole time.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
Read more than I can digest on options and variations... what setup do you all have when trying to reduce decibels while still sounding good?

Right now I have stock headers/cats/side mufflers and a BBI center section. Sounds amazing.. but loud at 103+db. Stuck on which center/side muffler combo to go with. Some of the options out there:

OEM/stock center section
Dundon quiet lifetime center muffler
Dondon side muffler deletes
Fabspeed mini maxflo center section replacement
Turn-away/Laguna pipes (not sure who makes these now?)
GPS valve close (not sure if these still exist?)
Tubi/Kline/iPe etc

Interested in what combo you drive and what decibel you can achieve? I'm assuming all the center section deletes (sharkwerks, fabseep, tubi etc) all have similar decibel ratings.

Thanks
Matty
Easiest solution to keep your setup is to use the GPS box to close the walves at turn 5 and turn down pipes. That should get you under 90DB 99% of the time. Alekshop sells both if you want to reach out. Pretty easy to install and use. I had a Sharkwerks center (similar to the BBI/GMG) and it worked fine. Now I switched to stock center, side bypass and sports headers and it still passes.

Dundon quiet center also passes but then your car is quiet all the time. Since you live here you must find a way to pass sound at Laguna, otherwise it is just frustrating
Old 08-07-2018, 01:45 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Adi - do your side deletes maintain the valves or did you go with straight through sacrificing the valves?

In a perfect world I would like similar to you: side delete (with valves) for the weight and heat reduction.. and then a stock/other center muffler to manage decibels with turn down pipes if needed.

The BBI center section has integrated tips so normal turn down pipes may not work. I’m open to swapping any of the components, but reluctant to spend a bunch to find it not work correctly.

I also see fabspeed now have turn down tip replacements. Two sizes, can either replace stock tips, or a size that fits the fabspeed center section.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 AM
adi_d
Racer

Adi - do your side deletes maintain the valves or did you go with straight through sacrificing the valves?

In a perfect world I would like similar to you: side delete (with valves) for the weight and heat reduction.. and then a stock/other center muffler to manage decibels with turn down pipes if needed.

The BBI center section has integrated tips so normal turn down pipes may not work. I’m open to swapping any of the components, but reluctant to spend a bunch to find it not work correctly.

I also see fabspeed now have turn down tip replacements. Two sizes, can either replace stock tips, or a size that fits the fabspeed center section.
Matt,

I used the TPC side delete with the flaps, as those are necessary for the right sound reduction (straight cup or BBI side deletes won't work). If you are primarily focused on tracking then that is the setup to have as less weight and less heat trumps everything else. On my setup I have 200 cell cats, side deletes and RS titanium center. Car sounds good enough but performance well.

If you want to keep your stock as is, I have my old sharkwerks bypass if you want to try it out as you can interchange the tips. Either way no setup will work without the gps box to close the walves, as that is the biggest reduction available.

I would definitely get that figured out so you can fully enjoy Laguna
Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

As it stands I have no chance at Laguna.. in fact I breached the Thunderhill sound limit last time there (I didn’t think that was possible with my setup!)

Thanks for all the ideas.. since the gps valve close is non-negotiable i will reach out to Alek as a starting point.

Matty
Old 08-07-2018, 02:41 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

As it stands I have no chance at Laguna.. in fact I breached the Thunderhill sound limit last time there (I didn’t think that was possible with my setup!)

Thanks for all the ideas.. since the gps valve close is non-negotiable i will reach out to Alek as a starting point.

Matty
on my old setup with GMG center bypass which is similar to the BBi center bypass Ive blewn 104.1 dB at Thunderhill, so not suprised.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mooty - are you saying that stock exhaust and/or Dundon “quiet” mufflers aren’t even quiet enough?

if yes.. these sound restrictions are even worse than I thought!
Matt,

Dundon muffler with turn ups absolutely works for 92 DB at Laguna Seca. It's been tested and works on stock 991 GT3/RS exhaust systems. if you have side muffler deletes, you may have issues as I don't think that combination has been tested. There is a NorCal shop that will let you rent the Dundon Orange if you want to try it.

Hit Jamie up at Dundon for details.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this. I am going to go with Adi’s setup I think: valved side muffler deletes with the Alekshop GPS valve closer (remove heat and weight) and a stock center section.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:07 PM
nstymatt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y

on my old setup with GMG center bypass which is similar to the BBi center bypass Ive blewn 104.1 dB at Thunderhill, so not suprised.
Interesting, I also have a GMG center bypass but was fine a thunderhill this past weekend. Maybe I'm just slow!

Regarding Laguna, is the consensus that center bypass + turn away tips will not be enough for <90-92dB?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:11 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by nstymatt
Interesting, I also have a GMG center bypass but was fine a thunderhill this past weekend. Maybe I'm just slow!

Regarding Laguna, is the consensus that center bypass + turn away tips will not be enough for <90-92dB?
From my experience Thunderhill is totally random, meaning they don't test all the time. I have seen people pass for many events and then on days they turn the meter on you have a bunch of black flags. The sound station is close to the track too, so generally most center bypass setups would fail.

At Laguna, just having turn down pipes reduces sound by 2-3 DBs, meaning if default is a 103, you are down to 100 or so. You can also stick to the left side of the track and reduce another 1-2 DB for sure. I am thinking of just generic turn down pipes. Cup cars and other folks have had turn down pipes that were packed with material and those worked fine, but are significantly larger, heavier and more expensive to setup. Just some thoughts...

Quick Reply: GT3 exhaust setup to reduce sound (Laguna!)