Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

3,8 GT3 engine tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018 | 06:03 AM
Beetspeed
5th Gear

Default 3,8 GT3 engine tuning

After a long search I found a 997.2 GT3 3,8 engine (donor car was in an accident) with a 'few scratches' and without exhaust, intake or ecu. But the price was right :-)
Its meant to be installed in an older project car, so emissions are not a concern. Sound is a concern to some degree as I want it road legal.
This got me thinking: why not try improve the intake and exhaust with free-er flowing parts and use a stand-alone ecu? I have some experience with the latter :-)

What I however don't know is what gains can be had from the original block without changing cams or compression? As I am thinking about (tapered 51mm) individual throttle bodies for intakes and as they do cost more then an original intake (I think) and as I have no clue how efficient the original parts really are, I was hoping some of you here might know what gains are to be had by all of this. Basically: would such an intake outperform any stock (Cup) parts?

The original design of these Mezger engines seems to originate from the 962 racers, so what if you would outfit an otherwise stock 3,8 GT3 long block with ITB's and a proper header exhaust system?
How much hp would then be possible with the right tune? And how much RPM can these engines safely endure for short periods of time?
Are there any tuners/racers out there that have done this already?

Thanks in advance,
Walter
Old 07-24-2018 | 11:36 AM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

HP gains from tuners are modest but at least 10-15hp and TQ. For RMPs some tunes will give you 8700-8800.
Old 07-25-2018 | 10:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

There are definite gains to be had from these engines when improving the intake-exhaust curve, obviously along with an ECU (DME) tune. Where are you located? PM me if you'd like and we can further discuss. We've done everything from 4.15L builds to simple bolt-ons to anything in between. It all really depends what you want and how in-depth you want to go.
Old 07-26-2018 | 04:01 AM
Beetspeed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
There are definite gains to be had from these engines when improving the intake-exhaust curve, obviously along with an ECU (DME) tune. Where are you located? PM
Hi MJ,
Thats good to hear! Plan is for a set of Jenvey ITB's and a good 3-1 header without cats and too much restrictions otherwise. As I don't have the ecu with the engine, I'll use an aftermarket stand-alone ECU (probably DTA) for fuel and ignition control.
What would you say the flywheel hp range could be with the above add-ons and otherwise original long block? Stock is 435 DIN hp for this ROW version afaik.

Are there any dyno results known for this engine with ITB's? Anybody done this before?

BTW, I'am located in The Netherlands, Europe :-)
Old 07-26-2018 | 04:07 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I’m not sure if I have seen ITB on a GT3 before, but I have seen the RS 4.0 manifold and risers and plenum installed on a 3.6 and 3.8 and it does increase HP at the top end of the curve due to better breathing. These cars also respond well to more open exhaust designs. And the shop I work with has done stand alone ECU on these with success. So all doable. Note the 4.0 setup is not inexpensive, and unclear of gains solely from doing it vs. along with a 4.0L+ build.
Old 07-26-2018 | 09:27 AM
bobodrink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beetspeed
Hi MJ,
Thats good to hear! Plan is for a set of Jenvey ITB's and a good 3-1 header without cats and too much restrictions otherwise. As I don't have the ecu with the engine, I'll use an aftermarket stand-alone ECU (probably DTA) for fuel and ignition control.
What would you say the flywheel hp range could be with the above add-ons and otherwise original long block? Stock is 435 DIN hp for this ROW version afaik.

Are there any dyno results known for this engine with ITB's? Anybody done this before?

So my current setup is EvoMS Headers, test pipe, RSS X pipe, EvoMS/Fabspeed Custom tune, 4.0 LWFW and BMC filter. Seems like a setup you are leanings towards, I dynoed it on a pretty modest mustang dyno and it was giving me consistent 390-400 WHP, the shop owner said on any other dyno it could be sure to reach at least 420 WHP, so give or take close to 500 crank.

As for LWFW, there is constant debate about HP gains, it will for sure feel faster but I don't think there is any hard hp gains.
Old 07-26-2018 | 12:03 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

I think you'd see some really nice gains by switching to E85 and a stand alone ECU (aem infinity) with a good tuning session. This wouldn't break the bank, either.

Ryan
Old 07-27-2018 | 06:06 AM
Beetspeed
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bobodrink
So my current setup is EvoMS Headers, test pipe, RSS X pipe, EvoMS/Fabspeed Custom tune, 4.0 LWFW and BMC filter. Seems like a setup you are leanings towards, I dynoed it on a pretty modest mustang dyno and it was giving me consistent 390-400 WHP, the shop owner said on any other dyno it could be sure to reach at least 420 WHP, so give or take close to 500 crank.
That sounds indeed very promising!
It would almost seem that with something like headers like you haveRayan, , the Jenvey ITB's and Pipercross air filters, it should then be very possible to approach the magical 500 crank hp (4.0 territory :-)). Thats great to learn!

@Ryan, E85 is not my thing as its not readily available at the pump over here (or at all, more and more).
Old 07-27-2018 | 12:44 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Beetspeed
Hi MJ,

I personally wouldn't go the ITB route. Law of diminishing returns when considering the effort you'll be making to tune them correctly vs the gains over the 4.0L intake manifold which is just plug and play. What exhaust are going to use? It's key to build these as a comprehensive and well thought out project. They work/perform significantly better than if you simply buy a bunch of parts and piecemeal it. We start with our client's desired goals and reverse engineering it. As for hp gains, well there are so many factors, honestly our range is quite a bit wide. From stock everything (390ish±10) to our fully built 4.15L engines with all sorts of goodies (540ish+).
Old 07-30-2018 | 03:50 AM
Beetspeed
5th Gear

Thanks for these wise words MJ!
Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I personally wouldn't go the ITB route. Law of diminishing returns when considering the effort you'll be making to tune them correctly vs the gains over the 4.0L intake manifold which is just plug and play.
Thats interesting. What would a complete 4.0 intake manifold cost (its a dealer item I suppose)? Ball-park?
Old 07-30-2018 | 02:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

It is a dealer item, in fact it’s itemS as it comes in several parts, and I’m not sure what the price is in Europe, but here you’re around $3100.

Quick Reply: 3,8 GT3 engine tuning