Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here’s the link, look at postings by Steve and Collin.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ing-noise.html
Old 06-10-2018, 03:49 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Here’s the link, look at postings by Steve and Collin.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ing-noise.html
Thanks.
This is all PCCB talk, but from your description it could just as will apply to steel right? Or is the steel cup discs floating attachment different to the PCCB?
Attachment 1283276

I did recently re-grease the center lock bolts. I will clean the fronts and try again.

Different to your description is, that I only have the sound when car has been on a long drive or track and is being pushed to 75% of skid limit front or so. Would your understanding of the issue support this, if I have an issue with grease, maybe of a lesser degree than you had?

Regarding hair line cracks in wheels, I have tested with two sets of wheels with same results.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:41 AM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My clicking has never returned since I have been accurate with optimol application. I have removed and refitted the wheels 6 or 7 times for cleaning and tyres in the last 15,000 or so Kms. I really think it has nothing to do with PCCB v Steel, however the sound may vary.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:30 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by bovien
Thanks.
This is all PCCB talk, but from your description it could just as will apply to steel right? Or is the steel cup discs floating attachment different to the PCCB?
Attachment 1283276

I did recently re-grease the center lock bolts. I will clean the fronts and try again.

Different to your description is, that I only have the sound when car has been on a long drive or track and is being pushed to 75% of skid limit front or so. Would your understanding of the issue support this, if I have an issue with grease, maybe of a lesser degree than you had?

Regarding hair line cracks in wheels, I have tested with two sets of wheels with same results.
1. I did not mention cracked wheel.
2. Yes fully support as mine would get more pronounced after driving for a while and on hard turns only.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:18 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Clicking

Are you sure that:
1. You have a thin smooth amount of silver grease on the back side of the centerlock?
2. Applying the 400lbs (or whatever is the current GT recommended amount is to the wheel?
3. Then backing off barely a quarter of a turn? And the center of the center lock has popped out to almost flush with the inside of the mechanism?

If if you haven’t followed that procedure... your wheel will click exactly as described ( as it does on my 997.2 turbo)
Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

I do that every time I change wheels to go to the track. A couple of times a month.
Usually there is enough grease on the non contact part of the bolt which I spread as a thin layer on the conical contact area.
Torque to 375lb/500 nm for my road wheels and 445lb/600nm for track as per pushed l Porsches directions.
Once a season I clean them and re grease. Did that recently.
I bought some really nice 1000 degree (or something crazy) grease, but as this is a possibility I need to check and/or eliminate I'll get the exact Porsche stuff asap, and do a clean of the bolt and re grease
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

I do that every time I change wheels to go to the track. A couple of times a month.
Usually there is enough grease on the non contact part of the bolt which I spread as a thin layer on the conical contact area.
Torque to 375lb/500 nm for my road wheels and 445lb/600nm for track as per pushed l Porsches directions.
Once a season I clean them and re grease. Did that recently.
I bought some really nice 1000 degree (or something crazy) grease, but as this is a possibility I need to check and/or eliminate I'll get the exact Porsche stuff asap, and do a clean of the bolt and re grease
sounds like not using optimol may be the issue, the stickiness and consistency of it is something I have never come across before, it’s characteristics would sugggest it is not a grease per se, but more a load bearing component.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:47 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed. Reach out to Suncoast Porsche parts... I think that the optimal is a key component to use and make sure that it fills in the spaces between the plates.. should sort the issue.

Last edited by cyclrder; 06-10-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 06-10-2018, 06:44 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

I will test and report as soon as possible.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:46 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Old 06-14-2018, 12:14 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

I will test and report as soon as possible.
Any update on brake test? Just a bit curious.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:23 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

I'm greasing the bolt up (...) this weekend. However, I'm not able to track the car until 1st of July, but will keep an eye of for possibilities on road and get back with any relevant info
Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I realize your noise may be coming from the left front......but when did you last have your transmission oil changed? Sometimes the LSD will "click" under hard cornering when the oil is older or well used. It is sometimes difficult to discern what end the "noise" is actually coming from. Just a thought.....

Cheers
Doug N
Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

All 3 of my .2RS did that. From new and never went away.
Left front, medium speed heavy load.

i thought it was normal.
Ran PFC rotors and pads on 18”BBS.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:20 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
I realize your noise may be coming from the left front......but when did you last have your transmission oil changed? Sometimes the LSD will "click" under hard cornering when the oil is older or well used. It is sometimes difficult to discern what end the "noise" is actually coming from. Just a thought.....

Cheers
Doug N
Thanks Dough

The LSD has been changed to a cup spec. I've heard of the clicking before, but don't know if that is applicable to the cup LSD. In my 2 1/2 seasons with the car, I haven't changed fluid in it, but it might be a good idea to do at the end of the season, just for peace of mind.
But the noise is definitely from the front

/Stefan

Quick Reply: Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?