Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 Gt3 PCCB - Ceramic brake clicking Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:42 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 Gt3 PCCB - Ceramic brake clicking Noise.

Porsche dealer performed an allignment per my request adding additional negative camber to front wheels. Currently set up is approx -1.5 negative camber front wheels.

On my drive home, I heard a clicking noise coming from the front of the car at every right turn I made, sounds like a loud ratchet and could be felt through the steering wheel - click-click-click . It happens when steering is turned atleast a quarter way.

Scheduled a re-inspection and took the car in. The findings after an hour of inspection and test drives were the springs on the carbon ceramic rotors are making the noise. The explanation given is that the rotors are two pieces and are free floating and are pressed together with bolts/springs/nuts. Porsche states it's not a safety issue so not under any type of warranty. Car has 7k easy miles. Anyone else have this issue? Any fix for it?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

This sound was not there before your alignment?

Usually click clicks when turning tight has to do with LSD making noise. Is your alignment casuing your LSD to work harder at low speed? Rear end is "pushing" the front end?

Other than that, I have been running PCCB since 2003, and more than 100,000 miles on various cars. Today I have 3 PCCB pcars and I can tell you that my PCCB brakes all make low speed noises that are different and louder than my Big Red cars.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:53 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igooz

Usually click clicks when turning tight has to do with LSD making noise.

Noise is definitely coming from front of vehicle.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igooz
Noise started with 5-6 turns after allignment, no noise prior to allignment.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM
colin1976
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly the same issue with my PCCB's (2010 GT3). The shop I use advised it [I]might be possible to get is remedied as a warranty issue (here in the UK).
Once the shop get the car to OPC and I get a response I'll update...
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by colin1976
Exactly the same issue with my PCCB's (2010 GT3). The shop I use advised it [I]might be possible to get is remedied as a warranty issue (here in the UK).
Once the shop get the car to OPC and I get a response I'll update...
This might be a wide spread issue, my biggest worry is the clicking will eventually crack the rotors and the cost to replace them is ridiculous.

FYI, I took the car for a spin today and pressed brakes while turning and the noise would stop. This confirms the origin, it's definitely the brakes.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:04 PM
colin1976
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
This might be a wide spread issue, my biggest worry is the clicking will eventually crack the rotors and the cost to replace them is ridiculous.

FYI, I took the car for a spin today and pressed brakes while turning and the noise would stop. This confirms the origin, it's definitely the brakes.
The diagnosis I was given is exactly the same as the one you were given: noise is cause by components between bell and rota. The shop I use (who I've absolute confidence in ) also agree this is the cause. They are confident it's not a safety issue - I had no problems (other than the noise getting a bit worse) during 2500 hard miles around France last month...
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was making the ratchety clicking sound whilst turning when I got it, and it drove me nuts for months,with R+L turns sounding different.When I found that the left stone guard/heat shield was able to vibrate and touch the disc, I bent and tightened it, and the right one so that they couldn`t touch and was sure that I had fixed the noise,but it only fixed one of the noises.
I pulled the car apart a few times trying to find the problem and noticed that the noise was different each time.It took my pea brain a while, but I finally deduced that the only NON constant in the whole equation was the OTIMOL paste.
I pulled the wheels off again and wiped everything clean and started from scratch with fresh paste,EXACTLY AS PER INSTRUCTIONS,rather that just ,yep there is plenty of paste there,or adding a bit more and BINGO no more clicky turns.I now do this every time I remove the wheels and the car hasn`t made a sound since.I think that the noise was caused by too much,or not quite even paste, not allowing the wheel to seat properly on the hub or the lock to seat properly on the wheel.

Last edited by steve porter; 08-05-2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: info
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, I was also told that,
a]its the rotors
b]It`the springs
c]Its the drive shafts
d]It`s the diff
e]some do that

and the noise stopped with brake application

Last edited by steve porter; 08-04-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: info
Old 08-05-2017, 05:27 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve porter
Mine was making the ratchety clicking sound whilst turning when I got it, and it drove me nuts for months,with R+L turns sounding different.When I found that the left stone guard/heat shield was able to vibrate and touch the disc, I bent and tightened it, and the right one so that they couldn`t touch and was sure that I had fixed the noise,but it only fixed one of the noises.
I pulled the car apart a few times trying to find the problem and noticed that the noise was different each time.It took my pea brain a while, but I finally deduced that the only NON constant in the whole equation was the OTIMOL paste.
I pulled the wheels off again and wiped everything clean and started from scratch with fresh paste,EXACTLY AS PER INSTRUCTIONS,rather that just ,yep there is plenty of paste there,or adding a bit more and BINGO no more clicky turns.I now do this every time I remove the wheels and the car hasn`t made a sound since.I think that the noise was caused by too much,or not quite even paste, not allowing the wheel to seat properly on the hub or the lock to seat properly on the wheel.
Thank you Steve, I will pass this information to the service department and schedule the service. Will confirm outcome mid next week and post results.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

My rotors (brembo multi piece) make a little noise. But it's more of a 'whir'. You an hear next to the curb.
Seems odd it didn't do prior, I'd look into more carefully.
I don't recall factory pccb making much of a racket.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:26 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you positive it's the brakes? Clicking noises up front can also be caused by the sway bar drop links if there is any binding. In your alignment was it just camber that was changed or was ride height altered in any way.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:54 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Are you positive it's the brakes? Clicking noises up front can also be caused by the sway bar drop links if there is any binding. In your alignment was it just camber that was changed or was ride height altered in any way.
Only camber changes were made. Noise stops when brakes are pressed so I am convinced the noise is coming from the brakes. The clicking noise is like clockwork, click - click - click. I think sway bar binding noise may be a bit different, not as timely and accurate.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:21 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve porter
Car sat at dealer for a few days, warranty approved change of rotors, picked car up while waiting for rotors to arrive from Germany. While driving home I was expecting clicking noises but all was gone.

Apparently, the technician spent a bit more time re-installing the wheels and the clicking noise is completely gone.

The instruction above is probably the fix for pccb clicking noise.

Thanks to all that contributed to the post.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

will dealer give you old parts? I'll buy them m:-)

Quick Reply: 997.2 Gt3 PCCB - Ceramic brake clicking Noise.