Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:14 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?

I'm having an issue with fairly loud noise, kind of a clicking, coming from the front - presumably left wheel - in tight turns on track or pushing hard on for example a 270 degree on/exit ramp. The noise comes at aprox 90 degree lock and can be forced on/off around that point. It sounds more like metal than plastic.
I have no visible scraping anywhere. in either of the front wheel arches. I have tested two sets of wheels. Discs and pads has been changed and caliper seals renewed as well without change. The noise has been getting more and more pronounced over the last two years every time on track.
It does not sound like the grumbling noise I would expect from a bearing, but I have no real experience here. There are no play in either of the wheels and center locks and caps on brake discs are looking all good. No brake ducts or other visible equipment are loose.

Any ideas of where to look before I spend stupid money at Porsche?
Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Bearing
Dust shield
suspension arms
brake pad

Have you had the car up When you say no play - car up in the air, grab wheel at 3-9 and 12-6 and torque it really hard up and down, side to side. no play at all?
Old 06-08-2018, 12:59 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Bearing
Dust shield
suspension arms
brake pad

Have you had the car up When you say no play - car up in the air, grab wheel at 3-9 and 12-6 and torque it really hard up and down, side to side. no play at all?
Dustshield is nicely clear of the disc and straight. Should I try to bend it back a bit? Just seems weird as all down there is stock, except for the discs being Cup.

Suspension arms would be hard to check, but the bushes looks nice and the sound is more ‘light’ than ‘heavy’ sounding. Like if a wheel balancing weight hit the dust shield or stones toward bodywork, but 100% constantly repeated 3-4 times a sec.

Would not think pads as they have been replaced from Endless to PFC with no apparent changes to the sound which has been continuously building in volume.

Bearing, maybe. Would that ‘click’ like hard plastic towards metal or so?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:40 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you checked the sway bar drop link?
Old 06-08-2018, 03:15 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Have you checked the sway bar drop link?
Yep, had them off recently to soften the bars a bit. Noise was there before and still is.
If they were loose, I would evict l expect a more 'klonking' noise and not continuously repeated one?

I was just out testing and with a cold-ish car I can't recreate the sound. Also noticed that on track. So the issue is dependant of heat.
Would a failed bearing be prone to more noise if hot? I would think the opposite to be true?
But still wouldn't expect clicking from a bearing.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well... things expand when they get hot.
Brakes get really hot
and the bearings
and shocks

is the noise commensurate with speed? Does it change with speed? If so. It’s something rotating.

If not its it’s something else.

Oh. Also. Reach around with wheels off and stick your fingers in the hub area abs ring area on backside of the hub. You may have a bunch of crap in there. You could also pull abs sensor and see if something is dragging...

If rotating it could be something in braking. Do you have floating hats? Or stock rotors?
I suspect wheel bearing... but it could be several things. Especially since it’s getting worse.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:27 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be the hub is worn enough so the bearing’s inner race is rotating along the bearing. I had this happen in the rear. The sound was metallic clicking. There was no play in the bearing when I tried to wobble the wheel. Those bearings have split inner races and the other race was still tight so didn’ t feel loose when testing.
Have you checked the big nut in the hub is still tight? In my case it couldn’t hold the torque and started to work itself loose.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 AM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Clicking noise might be the floating brake rotor/s. If it’s coming from the left, I would assume the noise occurs while turning right. To test, simply go to a large parking lot, start turning in circles to create the noise, right foot on gas and then gently start to press brake with left foot. If the clicking noise stops, it’s most likely your center locks that are filled with too much grease. To fix, you must remove wheel, clean all grease from center locks, take your time and scotch bright clean to get everything out then follow procedure to Re-grease properly and torque wheel back on.

I had had this issue, dealer replaced ceramic rotors under warranty, clicking noise remained. Dealer then replaced center locks, they come Pre greased from the factory, Porsche tech took his time to clean wheels and made sure no grease was left on the wheel, he used scotch bright type material, installed wheels and noise disappeared. It’s been seven months and the noise hasn’t come back.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

is the noise commensurate with speed? Does it change with speed? If so. It’s something rotating.

I've only had the noise at aprox 60 mph, as its roughly that speed it requires to activate the sound. Faster, I do not turn sharply enough to apply enough wieght (or what ever is activating it). So its hard to hear a change in the pattern. But I would guess it is and the exact repetition of the click makes me sure it is either rotating or getting hit by something rotating.

Oh. Also. Reach around with wheels off and stick your fingers in the hub area abs ring area on backside of the hub. You may have a bunch of crap in there. You could also pull abs sensor and see if something is dragging...
You mean backside of the disc hat? Very clean in there. Also no sign of anything hitting in there.

If rotating it could be something in braking. Do you have floating hats? Or stock rotors?
Its the cup rotors. They are floating.

I suspect wheel bearing... but it could be several things. Especially since it’s getting worse.
So did I. But just having taken the pads out and rotated both front wheels they glide very nice and without any noise. I would expect a bearing saying something and having resistance.

Originally Posted by JarmoL
Could be the hub is worn enough so the bearing’s inner race is rotating along the bearing. I had this happen in the rear. The sound was metallic clicking. There was no play in the bearing when I tried to wobble the wheel. Those bearings have split inner races and the other race was still tight so didn’ t feel loose when testing.
Have you checked the big nut in the hub is still tight? In my case it couldn’t hold the torque and started to work itself loose.
Big nut is at the exact position Porsche (or someone maintaining it) has marked with a nice yellow dot.
No way of testing for the bearing inner race except taking it apart I'm guessing? But it that would be it, I'm guessing I won't have very easy turning of the disc with wheels and pads off. No noise or resistance, just very free flowing wheel.

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Clicking noise might be the floating brake rotor/s. If it’s coming from the left, I would assume the noise occurs while turning right. To test, simply go to a large parking lot, start turning in circles to create the noise, right foot on gas and then gently start to press brake with left foot. If the clicking noise stops, it’s most likely your center locks that are filled with too much grease. To fix, you must remove wheel, clean all grease from center locks, take your time and scotch bright clean to get everything out then follow procedure to Re-grease properly and torque wheel back on.

I had had this issue, dealer replaced ceramic rotors under warranty, clicking noise remained. Dealer then replaced center locks, they come Pre greased from the factory, Porsche tech took his time to clean wheels and made sure no grease was left on the wheel, he used scotch bright type material, installed wheels and noise disappeared. It’s been seven months and the noise hasn’t come back.
This is interesting. And today at a small trackday I forgot to do the brake test. I will do it as soon as possible, however its hard as I don't have the sound until the car is quite hot and here in Denmark we have no parking lots of that size.
But what I'm not understanding here is how the greasing of the center locks has anything to do with the floating rotor? And also cleaning the delicate center lock mechanism with sand paper like material sounds very strange to me. Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks all!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 PM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try it with SC off. I've had this in and off and dealer could not source issue. Last time I tried turning off SC made it go away. What tires are you running?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:37 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

MPSC 2. Usually run with SC off. No difference
Old 06-09-2018, 04:32 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for a hairline crack in one of the spokes
Old 06-09-2018, 04:36 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Of the floating discs?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

FWIW i have full floating rotors. Brembo setup front rear. They make. Whirring sound at low speed. No clicking and at higher speeds you can’t hear.

He was referring to fully inspecting your wheels for a hairline crack.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=

This is interesting. And today at a small trackday I forgot to do the brake test. I will do it as soon as possible, however its hard as I don't have the sound until the car is quite hot and here in Denmark we have no parking lots of that size.
But what I'm not understanding here is how the greasing of the center locks has anything to do with the floating rotor? And also cleaning the delicate center lock mechanism with sand paper like material sounds very strange to me. Can you elaborate a bit?

Thanks all!!![/QUOTE]

Too much grease will create space between wheel and attachment point thus allowing flex on the rotors, with all the force created in a turn, the springs on the rotors will flex and start snapping back creating a clicking noise. In my case the clicking noise was like clockwork, very precise and timely. I will look for my original thread, there was one other person who had the same problem and he also concluded it was over greasing and or residual grease.

Quick Reply: Weird clicking noise from front in tight fast turns?