Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 AM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

It has been a while since the last update and the car has done two more track days in the last month or so. First day at Sonoma, which was probably the best track day I have ever had. Best time set for the day was 1:46.02 which is almost a second improvement from the previous time. Unfortunately no good data, video or pictures from that day.

The second day was at the new Weathertech Raceway...still strange saying that. This event was dedicated to some professional coaching. Big thanks for Andrie Hertanto for helping me address a few issues. As he said, I have a few opportunities for improvement, especially in turns 2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11 . I am sure next time I will hit 1:34 with this help.

Unfortunately I underestimated the life of my pads and the rears went down to the backing plate damaging the rotors. Unfortunate lesson learned.

This leads...

To that...

Luckily Clark from Apex Performance is always available and ready to help, for a small fee of course...

The car came home after the first time in 4 months...so a nice opportunity for a cleanup!

First the exterior detail, including clay, glaze, sealant and wax.

Suspension and brake cleaning and inspection.

Then taking apart the center console and taking out passenger seat.

Since we drive with the windows down a crazy amount of dirt gets in the car. This is just cleaning my inside carpet.

Interior done, including leather cleaning.

Engine bay and frunk next.

The VoltPhreaks lightweight battery has worked really well! 6lbs of pure goodness.

Next the all important, but terrible to clean, wheels.

Cleaning supplies used. Maybe 1/8th of the total I have acquired over time...

Wife calling to help with kids or something. Sleep time.

As part of the inspection noticed that my rear caliper piston is leaking brake fluid, so needs to be rebuilt. Acquired some high temperature hardware from Ohio Performance Solution (Rennlist vendor), let's see how those work. Also noticed a leak from my Power Steering pump, so it might be time to install the Cup Power Steering pump I purchased. So far this year about 14 track days and the car has not let me down.

Next up Laguna with PCA GGR in July...more of a social event due to the crowd size, but fun non the less.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 948 Likes on 526 Posts

Please keep the great updated coming! Very glad to see another fellow GT3 owner modding, tracking, and enjoying their very special car!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Please keep the great updated coming! Very glad to see another fellow GT3 owner modding, tracking, and enjoying their very special car!
Thanks Tom. It is certainly an interesting journey. I will be curious to hear how you like your new StopTech brakes. I realize that the OEM brakes are fully functional and capable, but the performance, especially compared to the 991 platform seems like a weak point.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
Thanks Tom. It is certainly an interesting journey. I will be curious to hear how you like your new StopTech brakes. I realize that the OEM brakes are fully functional and capable, but the performance, especially compared to the 991 platform seems like a weak point.
Time to upgrade to the full Movit ceramic kit
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Time to upgrade to the full Movit ceramic kit
Ceramic and track sounds expensive I love the AP Racing JHooks and Ferodo pads, but would love to upgrade calipers. Unfortunately AP does not make a racing caliper for our cars...too old, too few. Only kit I have seen is the StopTech BBK.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Ceramic and track sounds expensive I love the AP Racing JHooks and Ferodo pads, but would love to upgrade calipers. Unfortunately AP does not make a racing caliper for our cars...too old, too few. Only kit I have seen is the StopTech BBK.
Take a look at it. It's expensive initially but durability is exceptional. Whole different league than pccb. Comes with full one year warranty regardless of track time and they have a buy back program as well.

One user stated:

I have a set of the 396mm front and 362 rear upgrade rotors (with caliper spacers) which did three seasons stopping an RS 3.8 running Hoosiers and turning respectable lap times. After multiple pads were burned down to the rivets, the rotors are unchanged in thickness from original spec and the surface is as if new. There's nothing more than a slight pad transfer to show where the rotors were working

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-rotors-2.html

These things are on my want list
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

^ bring them by, i am absolutely certain i can destroy them in 4 LS days.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Brembo has a racing caliper kit. That said, the stock calipers are decent. And you can actually get parts for them unlike the new cars.

Are you running hoosiers? or slicks?

I'm not sure the stock brakes are the weak point, ABS intervention could be with slicks? What sort of Decel rates (Gs) do you see with your setup? I can see 1.3g or so on NT01 and you're WAY faster than I am!

Your options there are motorsport ABS (or remove it! lol) and motorsport calipers...
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Please send a link to the Brembo Racing Kit. I have a long gap where I've been asleep but as long as I can recall Brembo aftermarket Kits have been heavy antiques with exorbitant price tags that grow with size and weight and colors. I would love to see something compelling from Brembo. Larger, lighter, new materials, longer life etc. How is the Racing kit better or different than the Brembo kits I see which seem to be trapped in "Big Red" era technology? I understand Brembo is an innovator in the OEM and proprietary racing segments but the aftermarket offering has been disappointing to say the least. I agree that it is a slippery slope attempting to do better than 997 era OEM stuff on a 997 that still sees street duty....
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Brembo has a racing caliper kit. That said, the stock calipers are decent. And you can actually get parts for them unlike the new cars.

Are you running hoosiers? or slicks?

I'm not sure the stock brakes are the weak point, ABS intervention could be with slicks? What sort of Decel rates (Gs) do you see with your setup? I can see 1.3g or so on NT01 and you're WAY faster than I am!

Your options there are motorsport ABS (or remove it! lol) and motorsport calipers...
You are right Spyrex. The braking has a lot to do with tire compound, suspension set-up, ABS etc. and all of it can be improved and adjusted. I don't have a huge issue with the stock calipers and the AP racing hardware; the actual stopping seems fine and fade free. I just think that the overall braking performance of the car, including chassis balance is far inferior to the 991 platform. Have been in both cars the 991 feels far more stable and competent, even though data shows they are very close. Currently I keep rebuilding the stock calipers and continue to use them.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ u need a real seat in there.
i will send pic to aleks
Old 07-24-2018, 03:00 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
^ u need a real seat in there.
i will send pic to aleks
That is a "real" seat for sure Mooty! Wish I had the right level of proficiency to use it
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 PM
adi_d
Racer

So it has been a quiet month or so. Most recent outing was with PCA GGR for their annual Laguna weekend and the car performed well. The rear caliper rebuild and the new rear rotors worked according to expectations and without any issues. Set of Cup2 tires were killed off as well. After the event car went back home for cleaning. The BBS wheels are functional but a major pain to keep clean!

Decided to mount a set of RE71R tires as the next set to try them out at the upcoming Sonoma event.

While they do look aggressive, unfortunately the 265/19 size is simply too tall and rubs the fender liners badly. Going to have to go with 255s reluctantly.

In addition, installed the new Solo DL2 as it was readily available and convenient (thanks Alekshop?).

Last change was replacing the 997 Dundon canards with the 991 cup car canards. Someone said bigger aero is always better aero? They do look pretty silly on the car, but we will see how functional they are at Sonoma in August.

After Sonoma, there should be a few more additions to the car and a nice set of new tires for the SpeedDistrict event at Laguna in September.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ superb!!!
and u are using it well
should u decide on a real seat ;-) P1300, ping me
Old 07-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice updates.....can't wait for the next round!

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking