Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 12:29 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
I don't want to derail the fantastic thread, but a quick (further) aside re: sim setups... Like VID, I keep getting temped to jump into the sim racing world. For me the big hang-up is the lack of depth-perception. I've used some decent setups in the past, but I get annoyed by the implications of ultimately a 2D view. Which leads me to thinking I would prefer a VR setup. But I'm not sure that the VR headsets and associated support is quite where it needs to be yet. It's really roll of the dice in the end... spend thousands of dollars to see if you like the setup or not.

VR turns up realism to a whole other level (I don't use it often as I get sick easily) and was able to shave seconds off immediately just due to depth perception. Its also terrifying when you crash.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:52 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VID997
RE: SIM

Did you look into “Next Level Racing”, Motion Platform V3 in conjunction with their Traction Plus Platform? I have been considering a SIM rig as well during “our Bay Area Lock-downs”. I do much better when “driving” a dynamic rig vs a static set-up.

I have done way too much research on all this as well...then I just get frustrated with it all...not sure what to do or what to buy. Too many options and decisions for an uneducated gamer! Ugh! Having said that, Fanatec DD2 made my short list : ]

Doesn’t help I’m a MAC guy as well and know nothing about PC’s.

Best,
VID
I did try the motion setup as well, and it just didn't work for me, similar to VR. Having driven cars on track my brain expect corresponding g-forces, and when those don't occur it just makes me sick. It is true that the setup and options are endless, and the entire process feels very amateurish in terms of support from the various vendors. Essentially you have to like cars/driving, you have to like gaming, and you have to be into putting hardware together.

The other reality is that the equipment does not necessarily make you faster, but it does help you develop muscle memory faster, which increases consistency. Personally, I am not sure I would do another build given the effort, but now that it's here, it is amazing.

Originally Posted by 9eight7
I just found this thread and enjoyed reading all of it! I didn't realize you wrapped your car so I didn't connect the dots when seeing the green livery this past summer, as I've been to a few events with you over the last year or two. How much down time do you think there will be before the car is ready again?
Car is ready again. Doing a shakedown tomorrow at Laguna with HOD, followed by Sonoma next week. Let's see how it goes

Originally Posted by jonwb
I don't want to derail the fantastic thread, but a quick (further) aside re: sim setups... Like VID, I keep getting temped to jump into the sim racing world. For me the big hang-up is the lack of depth-perception. I've used some decent setups in the past, but I get annoyed by the implications of ultimately a 2D view. Which leads me to thinking I would prefer a VR setup. But I'm not sure that the VR headsets and associated support is quite where it needs to be yet. It's really roll of the dice in the end... spend thousands of dollars to see if you like the setup or not.
I think the triple monitor and VR solve the depth perception problem. Once i went to triple setup, my consistency and accuracy improved significant, as I was able to see the apex in relation to my fender. VR gives you greater immersion but the graphics are going to be worse than high end monitors and for many users the long term comfort is an issue (i.e. 45-60 minute session makes you sweat and provides eye strain).
Old 03-28-2021, 03:16 PM
adi_d
Racer

Car developed a small leak at the rear main seal and it was time to replace the clutch anyway after 2 track seasons.

Alekshop did a quick repair and it was time to do a "shakedown" run with HOD at Laguna. It was a 90db day and my car is normally 104-106db thanks to the Dundon headers. With turndown pipes and the GPS solution it actually passed, although just barely. Aleks also tested his new GT4 with the PDK!

Car worked flawlessly and got down to some low 135 laps - good enough for now. Video of a few laps...

The GT4 ran a 1:34.2 on slicks, which is very quick. The top speed of the new GT4 was about ~9mph faster at the end of the straight than my car...that 4.0l engine is quite powerful.

Few more shots of the action as captured by GotBlueMilk!

The following users liked this post:
PiB993 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Nice Driving Sir.
Sorry to hear the old girl developed a Lubrication Leak.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:11 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

late to the party here, but just read the entire thread. full of great information for fellow r'listers interested in tracking.

thx for putting the effort into this and continued success with the car/driving

viv
Old 03-29-2021, 04:11 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Nice Driving Sir.
Sorry to hear the old girl developed a Lubrication Leak.
Yeah...it always comes down to lubrication!

Originally Posted by irish guitar
late to the party here, but just read the entire thread. full of great information for fellow r'listers interested in tracking.

thx for putting the effort into this and continued success with the car/driving

viv
Thanks! I started this as a documentation exercise for myself, but I hope it can help those that feel like tracking these cars. It also spawned some interesting offline conversations as well. Too bad you don't see too many of these cars out on the tracks anymore!
Old 03-30-2021, 01:28 PM
adi_d
Racer

Another fun and sunny day at Sonoma with HOD. My absolute favorite track...always full of action. Arrival and unloading! Driving with friends is always most fun!

The car performed well, although the tires did suffer after Laguna; best of the day was a 1:45.3 with a PB being in the low 1:44. Video of the lap.

There was a group of little spec Datsun cars that were tiny (~2000 lbs and 200hp). I know PCA would not approve of this pass, but those drivers were pretty aware and it was the open passing D group. Fun stuff!

Time to rest and enjoy the sun!

A few action shots captured by GotBlueMilk photography!

Next up Sonoma in April with Exclusive Trackdays and fresh tires! Can't wait.
jonwb (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:07 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Talking

Too bad you don't see too many of these cars out on the tracks anymore![/QUOTE]

Mine came off the truck from BBi today. It's going to the track
Old 03-30-2021, 11:49 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by adi_d
Video

The GT4 ran a 1:34.2 on slicks, which is very quick. The top speed of the new GT4 was about ~9mph faster at the end of the straight than my car...that 4.0l engine is quite powerful.
Hi, is that 718GT4 stock only slicks?
Old 03-31-2021, 04:32 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Mine came off the truck from BBi today. It's going to the track
That is cool. Hope you enjoy it. What tracks you going to?

Originally Posted by DK7
Hi, is that 718GT4 stock only slicks?
Great question! I don't think a stock car can achieve such times. This particular car has PFC brakes, MCS 2 way suspension, slicks and some weight reduction (e.g. no passenger seat, etc.). Off the showroom floor on all stock parts and alignment it did a 1:36.8, just as a reference.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:29 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=adi_d;17334442]That is cool. Hope you enjoy it. What tracks you going to?

I only recently moved to NH and joined Club Motorsports last summer. I ran 21 days there last Fall in my '16 RS mostly, and a few days in the manual '18 GT3 before they shut for winter. Will be interesting to drive the 7RS there as well, but I'm also hoping to get to Palmer and a few other tracks in nearby states. I don't have a tow rig (yet?) so just running Cup 2s or the Dunlop Sport Maxx.

Viv
Old 04-07-2021, 09:17 PM
adi_d
Racer

[QUOTE=irish guitar;17334571]
Originally Posted by adi_d
That is cool. Hope you enjoy it. What tracks you going to?

I only recently moved to NH and joined Club Motorsports last summer. I ran 21 days there last Fall in my '16 RS mostly, and a few days in the manual '18 GT3 before they shut for winter. Will be interesting to drive the 7RS there as well, but I'm also hoping to get to Palmer and a few other tracks in nearby states. I don't have a tow rig (yet?) so just running Cup 2s or the Dunlop Sport Maxx.

Viv
That sounds pretty great. Will be curious how you find the 997 platform to be. Technically it is far inferior to the newer cars, but it is mega fun!

Since the car did so well at Sonoma, it was time to give it a family wash!

April - May have a lot of fun stuff planned. Sonoma with ETD, Sonoma with HOD, TH with PDC and BMW M driving event at Sonoma! Almost feels like one can go outside and enjoy
Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 PM
adi_d
Racer

Exclusive Track Days Sonoma event is in the books. It was a beautiful 75F day with only 8 cars in the run group! I finally had a new set of Hankook slicks and got to try for a personal best. It was a bit of a crazy day with the good and the bad. First up loading, traveling and unloading!

Mandatory Sonoma breakfast burrito after all that hard work!

Ready to drive!

The first session of the day was still in 40F weather, so it was all about warming up the tires and warming up myself. My previous personal best was a 1:44.9. After the first session I was already down to 1:44.3, which was pretty amazing. That feeling of slicks warming up and increasing grip is hard to describe, but so awesome! The second session was really intense...I started warming up and the car felt very fast with a ton of grip through the "esses" and T10. This is the "bad" part of the day when, on the first flying lap, I was not able to slow the car into T10 (likely user error, but investigating) and went off on the exit berm. I can safely say that was the most scared I have ever been in car

Somehow I was able to save myself and the car and stay in one piece. The mandatory start/finish check-in, confirmed there was no damage to the car and back out I went. The subsequent flying lap yielded a 1:43.04! Pretty shocking as it is 1.9 seconds faster than my old PB.

And video!

For those that know Sonoma, I am sure they can appreciate that a 1:43 flat is pretty insane for DE pace. Subsequent session yielded consistent low 1:43 lap times, so it was definitely not a fluke. I am still trying to process a) the incident at T10, and b) how all of a sudden I am that much faster on this track. I will say, as crazy as this sounds, that iRacing and sim driving has increased my risk tolerance by quite a bit. Either way, glad everything worked out; just an incredible experience.

Friends and family showed up in the afternoon for some food and fun.

Next up is Sonoma again with HOD in May. I hope by then they will allow passengers. Good times!

Last edited by adi_d; 04-18-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Tom@TPC Racing (04-26-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:35 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow, what a Butt Clincher moment. Nice save. That sections scares the hell out of me as you come towards it and see all the scars on the big wall.
Nice driving Adi.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Wow, what a Butt Clincher moment. Nice save. That sections scares the hell out of me as you come towards it and see all the scars on the big wall.
Nice driving Adi.
It was definitely interesting feeling "no brakes" and bracing for T10 being too fast But made it in one piece...

A few fun shots from the event!

A Senna GTR was also at this event...kind of crazy just how big and wide that car is. Good comparison shot!

Also a few "edited" shots.

Next up Laguna with Exclusive on May 8. I will put my passenger seat back in for some fun ride-alongs!
The following 2 users liked this post by adi_d:
jonwb (04-26-2021), Tom@TPC Racing (04-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking