Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Let's see how this BAT auction goes

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:49 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Does BaT show any indication of a reserve? Obviously someone started the bid high, now it'll be a waiting game until the final 5 mins.

It's funny to read the comments about on how interesting it is to see several 997 GT3's listed on BaT within a short period of time. I didn't want to give it away but 997 GT2/GT3 subforum of RL would be a good start.
I just bid on a car on BaT (low-balled) and could never work out if the winning bid was in excess of the reserve or not. Does BaT show in the posting if the final bid didn't meet reserve?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
I just bid on a car on BaT (low-balled) and could never work out if the winning bid was in excess of the reserve or not. Does BaT show in the posting if the final bid didn't meet reserve?
Yes, it shows once the auction is over if the reserve is not met.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
They will never tell you, which is one of the weird things about BaT. I myself would prefer if my bid is below reserve so that I can up the bid, but they would like you to bid as much as you want without knowing if you have reached the reserve price. Thats why I stopped bidding at Bat.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I know the Founders of BaT and I'm convinced they use best practices. They want you to bid what you think is the amount you think is "right" for the car. It's a great place to list a car if the enthusiast prefers an auction format. If instead they prefer a Classifieds format I believe RL is the best place to post a classified. I've bought a car on RL and I've been one of the last two guys fighting for a car on BaT.It's all good.
Back to the car. I would say the options spec is very unusual. The MSRP isn't super high because the first owner spec'ed zero leather options. I did this on my first 997.1 GT3 RS and my dealer begged me not to do it. I did it anyway. I learned that the plastic bits are prone to scratching. A stray finger from my wife's nailmay scratch a surface easily. Add painted surfaces all over the place and I'd fear I'd scratch this thing all over the interior. When I spec'ed my 997.1 GT2 I let my dealer help me with the interior. We checked a few inexpensive options and it made a dramatic change. The interior is so much nicer. I don't like the tint either. Taking that out isn't fun. In fact you'll probably lose your rear defroster. Anyway I liked the painted surfaces on the white car. It lightened up a dark interior a bit. But this is a lotta paint and easily scratched vinyl. And I'd be afraid to touch stuff on this one for fear of messing up my interior. I started with full leather and extended leather in my current 997.1 GT3 and I'm adding more bits all the time. I guess we change when we get old. The all plastic interior is cool because it weighs a few pounds less but the leather interior is a much nicer place to be. JBO
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe i'm just a dirt farming plebe but i absolutely despise buying anything at auction, from $1 to $100k. just show me the price and let's work something out. i get frustrated and angry while MAKING the ****ing money, i don't want to be frustrated SPENDING it.

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
They will never tell you, which is one of the weird things about BaT. I myself would prefer if my bid is below reserve so that I can up the bid, but they would like you to bid as much as you want without knowing if you have reached the reserve price. Thats why I stopped bidding at Bat.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:05 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chiffonade
maybe i'm just a dirt farming plebe but i absolutely despise buying anything at auction, from $1 to $100k. just show me the price and let's work something out. i get frustrated and angry while MAKING the ****ing money, i don't want to be frustrated SPENDING it.
I guess it depends on how much I want a specific car as to whether I'd want it to be auctioned. I love the auction format for trying to find a deal on something I don't have to have. You may win or you may not. I don't think I ever had as much fun buying a car as I did at Barrett Jackson in Vegas. It was exhilarating! I'd love to do it again but I can't keep coming home with stray cars.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Love seeing dealers bidding on BaT to then list the same cars at a higher price.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SGS
Love seeing dealers bidding on BaT to then list the same cars at a higher price.
I don't get why that's bad. It's no different than buying cars at wholesale auctions. They're gambling that their bid is high enough to win and low enough to make a profit. Any one of us has the same opportunity.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a hard time even thinking about spending $90k+ on auction, online, sight unseen.

Especially for an emotional experience like the GT3 is. I want to know the owner, what do you like about the car, take me for a drive, see how you drive, etc...

I may have a "romantic" view but if I need to spend $100k, I want it my way. (Maybe I am just not making enough money?)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:17 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I have a hard time even thinking about spending $90k+ on auction, online, sight unseen.

Especially for an emotional experience like the GT3 is. I want to know the owner, what do you like about the car, take me for a drive, see how you drive, etc...

I may have a "romantic" view but if I need to spend $100k, I want it my way. (Maybe I am just not making enough money?)
Im not a fan on BaT for maybe similar reasons, but I have no issue buying sight unseen.

I would want to talk to the prior owner and have the chance to get a PPI and fresh DME done, which BaT makes difficult due to the time constraints. If that checks out I'll wire the money, I don't need to take it for a test drive or take the PO to dinner
Old 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

you can do all that with BAT, just need to do it. I've gone to see 3 different cars listed on BAT. yes, they were all local, but owners were all enthusiasts and willing to show. Dammit I regret not buying one of them!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I don't need to take it for a test drive or take the PO to dinner
Yeah probably a dinner won't tell you much but maybe a drive will.

I agree that the time constrain on BAT makes things difficult.

Quick Reply: Let's see how this BAT auction goes