Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Survey complete. I have your wheels on my 335i, they're great! Glad to see another option coming out for 997 GT3.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 620 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
filled mine in.

many pcar owners own bmws or have owned them in the past. i use your wheels on my e46 m3 18x10 and love them from a function, cost, looks. glad you're considering them for the p-cars.

let me know if you guys need a tester
Originally Posted by robbieracer
Survey complete. I have your wheels on my 335i, they're great! Glad to see another option coming out for 997 GT3.
Thank you both for your continued support and feedback! I appreciate the energy and positive comments brought to this thread thus far. It is always great to get insight from enthusiasts who have a history of putting our products to the test within other vehicle platforms. We are here to infuse the same quality, chassis optimization, and cost effectiveness into the Porsche performance driving community. Do you have any pictures of the BMW and Porsche together? Would love to see - especially since both the BMW's are on APEX!

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think most would prefer a center cap for cap options( in my case, any WB 3RS, Turbo, Porsche logo), but no center cap is more track-centric or "outlaw" for C & C folks....

Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2K7TTMIA
I think most would prefer a center cap for cap options( in my case, any WB 3RS, Turbo, Porsche logo), but no center cap is more track-centric or "outlaw" for C & C folks....

Noted, great info so thank you for sharing! This lines up well with my suspicions, too.

I'll try to create and post some Porsche center-cap and/or more no center-cap renderings soon.

Cheers!

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 10-30-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:02 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts.

The original title was "create a better Porsche track wheel", if you are indeed making a track focused wheel no cap is the direction I would go
Old 10-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ngng
The original title was "create a better Porsche track wheel", if you are indeed making a track focused wheel no cap is the direction I would go
Very fair catch and certainly something we take into consideration. Although I'm getting very conflicting preferences across the boards, this helps tremendously. If our BMW wheels center-cap accommodation is any indication of Porsche, many enthusiasts scream for the ability to run an OEM cap.

What I've gathered is that companies who are much more expensive will make lighter wheels -- but we serve a different purpose. APEX are strong, lightweight, budget friendly, track-engineered wheels that can likely stand to live with an additional .25lbs. Those who seek to save every ounce and bypass a center-cap will likely opt for the $6k/set light(er)weight wheels, anyway. Though no decision has been set in stone thus far, so the discussion re: center-cap accommodation is still up for debate.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:29 PM
ngng
Drifting

Very fair catch and certainly something we take into consideration. Although I'm getting very conflicting preferences across the boards, this helps tremendously. If our BMW wheels center-cap accommodation is any indication of Porsche, many enthusiasts scream for the ability to run an OEM cap.

What I've gathered is that companies who are much more expensive will make lighter wheels -- but we serve a different purpose. APEX are strong, lightweight, budget friendly, track-engineered wheels that can likely stand to live with an additional .25lbs. Those who seek to save every ounce and bypass a center-cap will likely opt for the $6k/set light(er)weight wheels, anyway. Though no decision has been set in stone thus far, so the discussion re: center-cap accommodation is still up for debate.

So, my two cents. I disagree with part about spending 6k for wheels. I run my BBS monoblocs on the street, but won't run them on track. Track wheels get bent and beat on, and that's ok. I'll replace them. When I shop for a track wheel I want value: strength/weight/price.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:40 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So, my two cents. I disagree with part about spending 6k for wheels. I run my BBS monoblocs on the street, but won't run them on track. Track wheels get bent and beat on, and that's ok. I'll replace them. When I shop for a track wheel I want value: strength/weight/price.
On the total flip-side, I entirely understand where you're coming from and agree. Enthusiasts who seek to shed every single possible ounce are the ones who I believe will be purchasing those expensive light(er)weight wheel options.

APEX has thrived for those in the market for a well-rounded (literally) track wheel option encompassing the characteristics above; strength, affordability, and lightweight, with a track replacement program. If you're the original owner of the set and your APEX's endure any cosmetic or structural damage (from track or otherwise) you can purchase the same wheel at a 50% discount.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:35 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Where are Apex wheels made and what is the process? If forged where are the forgings from? That alone is more important than a center cap...

I'm local so if you make them in house I would like to come and check them out.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Where are Apex wheels made and what is the process? If forged where are the forgings from? That alone is more important than a center cap...

I'm local so if you make them in house I would like to come and check them out.
Thank you for your inquiry. We answered these questions on other threads/forums so I'll copy & paste a few of our previous responses below.

Our wheels are one-piece, aluminum with Flow-Formed (rotary forged) barrels. The flow-forming improves the strength of the barrel so the yields are more like a fully forged wheel.

They are made in China, which we discussed below in another thread.

We’ve been in business for 10 years, and we’ve stuck with one supplier in China. We chose them because they already had the equipment to Flow-Form which was rare back then, and their primary customers were big OEMs and other Japanese wheel manufacturers. What’s kept our relationship strong has been their willingness to further increase their QA standards at our request, and to support our extensive crush testing despite our low production volumes.

I can’t speak with any certainty on where another wheel is manufactured, but if they have a history of being soft and low quality, then it’s almost certainly not from our supplier as we’re definitely paying a premium to get the quality we require. As flow-forming became popular, a lot of other manufacturers have popped up offering similar services. If a vendor doesn’t come to a supplier with any of their own standards, and they’re just looking for a wheel, then there are a lot of suppliers out there now that are happy to cater to vendors just looking for another thing to sell.

For anything manufactured overseas, real world testing and independent checks are required to ensure you get quality out of a supplier. Done right, you get an iphone. Done wrong, you get exploding hoverboards. This is where the biggest differences start to reveal themselves in the wheel industry. It’s clear that most brands don’t even understand how to keep their suppliers in check as they’ll claim JWL and VIA on product that clearly haven’t been tested. We can tell they’re misrepresenting their products because there is a database that contains all the supplier names, wheel models, and test related data for every wheels that’s ever been certified by the VIA. Most wheels aren’t on that list as they’ve never been tested. Some vendors are novices that and assume they’re tested or they work with suppliers that tell them they’re tested, while others purposefully skip it to save costs. Both make you really worry about what other corners are being cut or missed.

After multiple computer revisions and FEA, we run real world impact, load, and crush tests for every unique wheel spec. Even if the offset change is only 1mm different on a new size, we still do the tests. Since all of this testing is done in-house, we need to keep our supplier in check. When they’re done we send wheels to the VIA in Japan which is a government testing organization. They real world crush test our wheels again and provide 3rd party validation that corners aren’t being cut.

This thorough testing gives us the confidence that we’re producing quality product that’s worthy of being driven at the limits on track. The last 10 years of customers beating on our wheels is proof that we’ve accomplished just that.
Here's a response to someone asking us to prove we're VIA/JWL certified:

We understand where you’re coming from. It’s all talk until there is some proof to back up our claims. We’re sickened by the number of companies claiming they’re VIA/JWL certified when in fact they are not, so we always welcome a discussion on the matter. We encourage enthusiasts to do their due-diligence before making an educated wheel purchase as we’re all aware of the failures that can happen.

Posting a video doesn’t prove anything as we’ve seen them already from other manufacturers that lie about their certification(s). Each factory has the equipment in-house to conduct tests, but it doesn’t mean everything is tested or tested to the same standards as what the VIA requires. To us, in-house testing is just like taking a practice SAT test. The only score a college will care about is the officially sanctioned test you took, not the one you did at home on your own. These in-house tests and videos are conducted without regulation, subject to false load quantities, and used solely for marketing purposes. This is where the catastrophic on-track failures occur and the biggest differences start to reveal themselves in the wheel industry.

The VIA in Japan runs the JWL test and there is only one way to conduct that test so a manufacturer can’t game the system. SAE J2530 testing conducted in the USA by some manufacturers can be manipulated. We got into a spat with a competitor many years ago that claimed JWL/VIA/TUV certification. They only did SAE testing and that test allows them to pick any load rating to certify. That brand only tested to 1200lbs when VIA requires 690KG (1521lbs) for the 5x120 bolt pattern. A trend we see lately is brands that use tricky terminology such as “exceeds JWL/VIA”. Translated, that means they have no third party official evidence of anything, they want you to trust that they conducted a legitimate in-house test, and for some good reason they decided not to take that last step.

So how do you know we’re the real deal? There’s two ways to check. One way is online. The VIA maintains a list of every single manufacturer, wheel model, and size that has been certified. Unfortunately, they require a login to view that list which we find odd as we believe that should be a public database. The other way is by looking at the certified test reports that are mailed to them by the VIA.

Although we don’t have a video of the test being run, we noticed the older reports did include a photograph of our wheel in an impact test machine which we’ve attached below. The new reports just include a photo of the wheel on the ground which is not as interesting.
The only things we’ve hidden in these images is our source’s name.

It's nice to see someone so local. If you'd like to come by to see our facility and/or check out our photo-studio, you're more than welcome anytime.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 PM
ngng
Drifting

On the total flip-side, I entirely understand where you're coming from and agree. Enthusiasts who seek to shed every single possible ounce are the ones who I believe will be purchasing those expensive light(er)weight wheel options.

APEX has thrived for those in the market for a well-rounded (literally) track wheel option encompassing the characteristics above; strength, affordability, and lightweight, with a track replacement program. If you're the original owner of the set and your APEX's endure any cosmetic or structural damage (from track or otherwise) you can purchase the same wheel at a 50% discount.
did not know about the replacement discount.

forgot to ask, what size are you offering the wheels in. i don't recall seeing anything
Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

did not know about the replacement discount.

forgot to ask, what size are you offering the wheels in. i don't recall seeing anything
Our sizing hasn't been finalized yet as we're figuring out exactly what to offer in our initial group buy and first few production runs. You can confidently count on 18 & 19" diameters with 8.5-9" front and 10-12" rear options. Should encompass most all water-cooled chassis with emphasis on NB/WB 996/997/991, 986, 987, 981, and 964, 993, 944/951/968 fitments in the mix too. Extreme niche fitments (ei: 9.5" front and 12.5" or 13" rear) will likely will be produced in future production runs, but it'll be a while.

What fitments would you personally like to see produced?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 PM
ngng
Drifting

Our sizing hasn't been finalized yet as we're figuring out exactly what to offer in our initial group buy and first few production runs. You can confidently count on 18 & 19" diameters with 8.5-9" front and 10-12" rear options. Should encompass most all water-cooled chassis with emphasis on NB/WB 996/997/991, 986, 987, 981, and 964, 993, 944/951/968 fitments in the mix too. Extreme niche fitments (ei: 9.5" front and 12.5" or 13" rear) will likely will be produced in future production runs, but it'll be a while.

What fitments would you personally like to see produced?
cool thanks. personally, i would love to see 997 wb arc-8 fitment in 18" with no center caps
Old 11-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

cool thanks. personally, i would love to see 997 wb arc-8 fitment in 18" with no center caps
Thanks for sharing! Though it'll be very difficult for reasons stated above, I'll work as diligently as I can to explore the probability of bringing our ARC8 design to fruition in future production runs.

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel