Old 10-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 620 Likes on 395 Posts
Default Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Calling Porsche Track Enthusiasts!

Eric from APEX Race Parts here. (Don’t worry, I’m not just another internet sales guy - I’m actually leading APEX’s Porsche wheel development.)

For those of you who know us from our roots in the BMW world, you know that we develop our performance wheels based on real world experiences and feedback from go-fast enthusiasts. (You!) We’ve been flooded with requests to develop some Porsche-specific wheels and now we have the team in place to make it happen! We’ve got a few fitment ideas in mind, but we really want to pick your brain before we pull the trigger. Got a few minutes to help us out?

[Give us your 2 cents]

Once we get a better understanding of your deepest wishes and desires for an affordable (yet race-proven) set of shoes for your car, we’ll put our creative and engineerings minds to work to develop a lineup of APEX wheels that makes sense whether you’re in the market for street or track-worthy wheels.

So, who am I? Well, many things, but the important thing is that I’ve been neck-deep in the performance driving world for years - HDPE’ing and Time Trialing my Porsche around the Northern California tracks every opportunity that I get. If you’re like me and have spent time in the paddock, you’ve surely seen the majority of BMWs on a set of APEX wheels. Over the past 10 years, it was obvious that APEX dedicated themselves to fill voids and ease pains the BMW enthusiasts felt in regards to wheel quality, affordability, and availability. By enlisting fellow enthusiasts in the decision making process, APEX incorporated forum members into product development and connected with their community in a way that no one else in the motorsports world had. Hungry to implement that in other track oriented markets, I proposed the idea of a Porsche department to APEX, and voila! That’s why I’m reaching out to you now.

Now that we’re all gearing up for the off-season builds, repairs, and modifications, I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re ecstatic to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) on developing off-the-shelf, race engineered, lightweight fitments that are perfect for your beloved Porsche.

The best way to help would be to tell us a bit more about what you’d look for and expect in a set of track proven, dependable, and affordable wheels. When you grab your next cup of coffee, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us?

[Take our Porsche Wheel Survey]

Please stay tuned and we will surely keep you updated as our Porsche division progresses!

Happy tracking,
Eric

11/28 UPDATE:
Seen below are our 19" APEX SM-10 in profile 1 (front) concavity and profile 3 (rear) concavity.

Satin black -

Anthracite -

Race Silver -

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 11-29-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Calling Porsche Track Enthusiasts!

Eric from APEX Race Parts here. (Don’t worry, I’m not just another internet sales guy - I’m actually leading APEX’s Porsche wheel development.)

For those of you who know us from our roots in the BMW world, you know that we develop our performance wheels based on real world experiences and feedback from go-fast enthusiasts. (You!) We’ve been flooded with requests to develop some Porsche-specific wheels and now we have the team in place to make it happen! We’ve got a few fitment ideas in mind, but we really want to pick your brain before we pull the trigger. Got a few minutes to help us out?

[Give us your 2 cents]

Once we get a better understanding of your deepest wishes and desires for an affordable (yet race-proven) set of shoes for your car, we’ll put our creative and engineerings minds to work to develop a lineup of APEX wheels that makes sense whether you’re in the market for street or track-worthy wheels.

So, who am I? Well, many things, but the important thing is that I’ve been neck-deep in the performance driving world for years - HDPE’ing and Time Trialing my Porsche around the Northern California tracks every opportunity that I get. If you’re like me and have spent time in the paddock, you’ve surely seen the majority of BMWs on a set of APEX wheels. Over the past 10 years, it was obvious that APEX dedicated themselves to fill voids and ease pains the BMW enthusiasts felt in regards to wheel quality, affordability, and availability. By enlisting fellow enthusiasts in the decision making process, APEX incorporated forum members into product development and connected with their community in a way that no one else in the motorsports world had. Hungry to implement that in other track oriented markets, I proposed the idea of a Porsche department to APEX, and voila! That’s why I’m reaching out to you now.

Now that we’re all gearing up for the off-season builds, repairs, and modifications, I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re ecstatic to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) on developing off-the-shelf, race engineered, lightweight fitments that are perfect for your beloved Porsche.

The best way to help would be to tell us a bit more about what you’d look for and expect in a set of track proven, dependable, and affordable wheels. When you grab your next cup of coffee, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us?

[Take our Porsche Wheel Survey]

Please stay tuned and we will surely keep you updated as our Porsche division progresses!

Happy tracking,
Eric
Done... Good luck with the new endeavour. (For what it's worth, I had to look up what BBK meant)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

just sent mine. why not arc8?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Took the survey. You should allow larger tire size selection for fronts in your survey. For those of us with cup flares we can fit a 285 up front lol
Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jonwb
Done... Good luck with the new endeavour. (For what it's worth, I had to look up what BBK meant)
Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your input - I appreciate it! Enthusiast engagement and feedback is crucial for our product development.

Originally Posted by ngng
just sent mine. why not arc8?
With the fitments (widths/offsets) that these Porsche chassis allow in the front, the concave spokes on the ARC8 will be very difficult to clear the majority of large brake calipers. The front wheels would have to be very flat-faced or possibly even convex, which does not lend well to their design. Provided there's enough enthusiast support for the ARC8, we'll certainly explore its feasibility in the future.

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Took the survey. You should allow larger tire size selection for fronts in your survey. For those of us with cup flares we can fit a 285 up front lol
Unless you see a 10" fitment offered for the rear of a NB 911 or Boxster/Cayman that will fit underneath your cup flares, we won't be directly offering a front wheel width to accommodate a 285 tire in our first few production runs (widest front width will likely be 9.5"). Nonetheless, this feedback is extremely valuable for the future. Thank you for your input and taking your time to complete the survey!
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Have contacted APEX a few times about Porsche fitments. Will be a welcome addition in the market, will you do Center Locks as well? There's a significant portion of track guys that have CL fitments...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Have contacted APEX a few times about Porsche fitments. Will be a welcome addition in the market, will you do Center Locks as well? There's a significant portion of track guys that have CL fitments...
Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your feedback and the warm welcome! We agree it's long overdue, but the correct team is now in place for our Porsche division to thrive too.

Yes, I plan to offer center-lock wheels in fitments appropriate for all cars equipped with center-locking hubs. What model do you want center-lock APEX's for and what wheel specifications?

Happy Monday!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your feedback and the warm welcome! We agree it's long overdue, but the correct team is now in place for our Porsche division to thrive too.

Yes, I plan to offer center-lock wheels in fitments appropriate for all cars equipped with center-locking hubs. What model do you want center-lock APEX's for and what wheel specifications?

Happy Monday!
EC7! Looks like the standard double 7 spoke, the issue with Porsche wheels is always the offset making them look very flat.. Almost all Porsche center locks will have to be 19" at a minimum to clear steel brakes (and if you're tricky you can clear PCCB calipers as well). For the RS 20/21" is the rule of the day for stock fitment.

I'll try to call to discuss further details.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

EC7 Centerlock in 19x9et42 & 19x12et48
Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
EC7! Looks like the standard double 7 spoke, the issue with Porsche wheels is always the offset making them look very flat.. Almost all Porsche center locks will have to be 19" at a minimum to clear steel brakes (and if you're tricky you can clear PCCB calipers as well). For the RS 20/21" is the rule of the day for stock fitment.

I'll try to call to discuss further details.
As you stated, it's hard to incorporate lots of front wheel concavity in the offsets that these Porsche chassis allow. As we've done with the BMW wheels/fitments, we're doing our best to maximize the amount of concavity - with ample BBK clearance and minimal weight without sacrificing wheel integrity.

Feel free to call any time!

Originally Posted by ilko
EC7 Centerlock in 19x9et42 & 19x12et48
Thank you, sir! Always confidence inspiring to see my fitment spreadsheet results line up well with enthusiast's fitment needs. We've been flooded with this exact inquiry, so certainly look forward to some CL EC7's in the future!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:59 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Loved your wheels in the BMW world and happy you guys will be offering them in Porsche fitments.

Let me know if I can help with any details (987.2 application)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Loved your wheels in the BMW world and happy you guys will be offering them in Porsche fitments.

Let me know if I can help with any details (987.2 application)
Always great to see a fellow enthusiast put our wheels up to the test on another platform and share their success story. Thanks for your continual support and willingness to help!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We're still urging enthusiasts to take the survey as the results are a direct reflection of what product is brought to the community.

All of the 350+ survey participants have been an enormous help - Thank you to all who took their time to complete our survey!
Old 10-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you to all of our 500+ survey participants. If you have not filled it out yet, please take a moment to let us know what your wheel preferences are.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:43 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you to all of our 500+ survey participants. If you have not filled it out yet, please take a moment to let us know what your wheel preferences are.
filled mine in.

many pcar owners own bmws or have owned them in the past. i use your wheels on my e46 m3 18x10 and love them from a function, cost, looks. glad you're considering them for the p-cars.

let me know if you guys need a tester

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel