Cost of engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:52 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
911-997

so, what's the deal here. Did you just buy this car and the ppi failed to reveal this issue? Did they do a bore scope? Some don't do it as a standard ppi and you have to pay extra for it.

If if that's the case, man I feel for you. What a terrible
situation. It would be super shady for the previous owner to pull this. I doubt you have much recourse, but it's very unfortunate.

Id call RND if your just looking for another engine with the upgraded nickie cylinders. Or you could ship it to Hartech and I think you could get it done for about 8k. But you have to pull the engine and ship it and then have someone put it back together. My info said about 3k for that. Plus shipping.
I have done PPI on car but indy didn't do bore scope. After noticing cold start smoke from driver's side taillight and mention it to other indys they indicated it is 90% scored cylinder. I have brought it up to the seller and he denied that he ever seen cold start smoke but after I sent him some video's he started to see the issue and agreed to do a return.

The reason I am asking is to see if I can do engine rebuild and keep cost below 10k then I would still keep the car. I bought it for cheaper than market value (~24k) I thought if I can spend another 10k then it wouldn't be too bad. However, after seeing 15k to 20k estimates from some of the guys, I think it is smart decision to return it to seller and let him handle it by himself and look for another 911
Old 07-16-2017, 12:56 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, good on him for being a stand up guy. And lucky you for dodging a bullet. Next time, get a bore scope and compression check. Probably cost you a few hundred dollars but now you see the downside of not.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Well, good on him for being a stand up guy. And lucky you for dodging a bullet. Next time, get a bore scope and compression check. Probably cost you a few hundred dollars but now you see the downside of not.

Good luck.
Yup ...He is one of the few stand up guys I have ever met and honest from what I can tell. I think he didn't realize the smoke until after I showed it to him.

Next 911 is going to be a 997.2 or 997.1 turbo ... no more 997.1 C2/S
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

The .2 cars have the same scoring issue from what I've read. Turbos have other issues.

Just dontour our research and have a proper ppi done and enjoy.

My .1 car has 85k on it and still runs like a champ. I burn a tad more oil than it used to and it has some rattles but it looks and drives great.

Best of of luck to you.

Mark
Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

The .2 cars have the same scoring issue from what I've read. Turbos have other issues.

Just dontour our research and have a proper ppi done and enjoy.

My .1 car has 85k on it and still runs like a champ. I burn a tad more oil than it used to and it has some rattles but it looks and drives great.

Best of of luck to you.

Mark
One more question since you are familiar with issue. How long can motor live with scored cylinder? I know it would be burning oil a lot frequently than normal Porsches but what I heard Porsche official statement is 1qt every 1k miles so what would I expect to see other than burning oil? Would engine eventually die at some point?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:29 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I think that all depends on how bad it is. You do however run the risk of the scoring damaging the piston and then the car grenades. Then you are at a total loss and don't have a usable core or parts to use in your rebuild.

So, not worth the risk.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prevention, cure, and Anxiety...Opinions?

I purchased my 06 C2S nearly two years ago with 86K miles. I now have 96K. She/he/it runs great and uses less than a quart of oil in 4K miles. Very occasional smoke at cold start up. The transmission was replaced under CPO two owners ago, during which time that owner opted to pay for a new clutch.

Of course, despite laws of probability, I have intermittent waves of IMS anxiety. In speaking with my Indy (Goldcrest Motorsports in Kennesaw, GA), I'm thinking having them do a dedicated oil line to the IMS. This requires dropping the engine, so it would make sense to replace the clutch. Anything else while they are in there? Good or bad thinking?

I have found Goldcrest to be the most competent and honest business I have ever worked with, so I have full confidence in them. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I would rather pay 4-5K now than the possibility of 20K down the road.

Larry
Old 07-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,606 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by apperception
This requires dropping the engine, so it would make sense to replace the clutch. Anything else while they are in there? Good or bad thinking?

Larry
Maybe not..... I got 197K miles out of my Boxster S clutch.... then the engine blew up and killed the car. So I will never know how long that thing would have lasted. It is all in your rev-matching skills.

Get an agreement from the tech that you will only replace if X% is left.... He/she must be able to get parts fast or restock. If there is a dealer close by, they can usually get the parts right away or overnight. Do the math given your mileage and you can roughly figure out how long it will last. I don't like replacing things "while I am in there" unless my paranoia gets the best of me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-16-2017, 03:31 PM
apperception
Instructor

Thanks, Bruce. I trust this shop. The clutch now has about 60K on it. I'm not a clutch killer and hope the car is a keeper. I hope to report having 197K someday.

Peace to you, as well

Larry
Old 07-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased my 06 C2S nearly two years ago with 86K miles. I now have 96K....transmission was replaced under CPO two owners ago, during which time that owner opted to pay for a new clutch.

.... thinking having them do a dedicated oil line to the IMS. This requires dropping the engine, so it would make sense to replace the clutch. Anything else while they are in there?
If you had a base C2 you could have a good idea how worn the clutch is by how stiff the pedal feel, but the C2S isn't like that. Unless it's slipping, it's hard to tell.

What do you mean by "dedicated oil line"? The aftermarket D.O.F. kit, or does the shop have their own in-house jerry rig? Because for the D.O.F the engine does not need to come down, just the transmission.

IMO the most I might do on an '06 would be pull the seal off the bearing. Its larger diameter (than the earlier single-row) submerges it even deeper in oil whenever the car is idling, and there is more surface area to get splashed while driven, plus it has almost twice the load bearing capacity as the earlier single-row.

As for other things to do while the trans is down, I would look at the fork, and probably at that mileage think about a new DM flywheel (I think the recommended factory interval is 70K) unless it was replaced when they did the trans and clutch.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bruce. I trust this shop. The clutch now has about 60K on it. I'm not a clutch killer and hope the car is a keeper. I hope to report having 197K someday.

Peace to you, as well

Larry
Thought experiment: Tell the guy "if 50% or greater, don't do it". (50% assumes a 120K mile clutch life..... say 10K miles per year puts this 6 years out.) Then take the money and put it into a index fund.... now put a tickler in your calendar for the projected date the clutch would need to be replaced.... then report back to us. What is the value of the fund? Do you still have the car? Why do squirrels freeze when I wave my arm?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM
apperception
Instructor

What expertise I have is in Psychology; not engineering or finance. It's hard to know how much of these sorts of problems belong to which domain. On the other hand, any clergy want to weigh in? Prayer, Karma, or other variables as either causal or mitigating factors?

Larry
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What expertise I have is in Psychology; not engineering or finance. It's hard to know how much of these sorts of problems belong to which domain. On the other hand, any clergy want to weigh in? Prayer, Karma, or other variables as either causal or mitigating factors?

Larry
Tell ya what, I will hook you up with a holy man I know of.... for a small fee (less than that of a clutch job), he will walk around your car, throw flower petals, wave the bone fragments of a martyr, struggle with a conundrum, burn some smelly stuff, chug a beer, and thus will prevent clutch failure for a good 100K miles. I know he has strong powers as proof, we have not been hit by a meteor in the last 5 years since I paid him to walk around my house.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM
apperception
Instructor

Default On my deathbed, total consciousness!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I purchased my 06 C2S nearly two years ago with 86K miles. I now have 96K. She/he/it runs great and uses less than a quart of oil in 4K miles. Very occasional smoke at cold start up. The transmission was replaced under CPO two owners ago, during which time that owner opted to pay for a new clutch.

Of course, despite laws of probability, I have intermittent waves of IMS anxiety.
For the anxiety take some Valium

For the IMS - do nothing. It's an 06 with the bearing that does not fail*

*ok, I know a few have failed but not enough to really make a big deal about. If you want to worry about something then worry about bite scoring. Or hitting a deer. Or getting run over by a bus. Or getting struck by lightning.

Quick Reply: Cost of engine rebuild