Sponsored by:

Cost of engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:14 AM
Motorainier
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkw911
I've done it and to do it properly it will not be cheap. I believe that is just part of the flat six world as you have a limited supply of competent builders.

Only you can say if it will be cost effective. I could have bought a new Carrera for what I have into my 997 and I'll share my reasoning. First I didn't want to own a bigger Carrera coming from 993s so I chose not to buy a 991. On my current car I have replaced the suspension, exhaust, rebuilt and repainted the calipers, installed a Pioneer head unit, installed new radiators and AC condensers and more. I know this car and didn't want to start over again with an unknown vehicle which would have been a turbo. On the rebuild I didn't hold back on the extras and gave the shop a green light to do what they felt was best. This will most likely be my last Carrera and I couldn't be happier with it. It drives like a dream and the mapping is much different than before. I don't look at as an invest but as a hobby that I enjoy. I hope my perspective helps and good luck in which ever route you take.

New member here, so apologies for any process errors. I've got a 2005 C2S that I'm planning to get some work done. I've always wanted a 911, and I've always wanted one that was tuned a bit. Can you tell me what you had done with the engine/exhaust, and how well it's working? I've done suspension work already. Thank you,
Old 11-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Mark Henry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping it street legal, stock ECU, there's only so much you can do. Even with all the LN goodies you only get a modest gain. You do get a better motor.
Porsche optimised the HP for this engine (and exhaust) quite well. Short of radical cams, forced induction, etc. and an ECU to run things, you can't get huge HP number gains.
But anything can be done...bring money.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:42 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of going down the rebuild road. I have an '05 C2. There isn't anything wrong with the motor right now but It's got 86K miles on it and I've tracked it quite a bit since I bought it 6 years ago. I'd rather freshen it before anything goes wrong. Probably the thing that really needs a rebuild is the transmission. 1st and 2nd are really tough when it's cold. Even the dealership tech noted it. Based on the answers here, it sounds like I'm looking at $15K-$20K. That's going to hurt but I feel like this car is worth it. The bones of the car are very special. This chassis is one of the best ever engineered and I don't think I'll ever be able to afford anything better.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPatrick31 (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Cost of engine rebuild