Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you told them you love them lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it back!!! Have been watching the Netflix series on Miami SWAT and south Florida crime is brutal

Is your car stick or PDK?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow... sorry this happened but glad they found the car and caught the culprits.
Like everyone else here, dying to know how they made off with it without your key...
Old 07-14-2017, 07:12 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just visited my car at the tow yard. Ignition looks normal. No evidence of any damage to the ignition. I was able to start it with my key like normal several times. Detective believes a screwdriver was used to start the car. Until someone qualified looks at the ignition I wont know for sure. I have owned the car for three years and most of the time it has been my DD and never noticed any issues related to my ignition. Previous owner was a trophy wife and this was her sixth Carrera. Car has been solid.

Front fender has some road rash. Might be when they hit some speed bumps as I gave chase just outside my neighborhood.

Car screeches upon startup each time I started it. Sounds like a belt or pulley issue hopefully. Wife said black smoke came out the pipes when I started it each time.

I left the car and released it to my Insurance company and will have to decide where to have it looked at. I didn't want to risk any damage or the hassle of a break down.

Last edited by TECNO; 07-14-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fracture
Had it been serviced recently ?

say the last 6 weeks or so ?
Took it to a Porsche certified body shop. They had the car for a month to repair some minor damage as I was rear ended.

I visited them yesterday and poked around all their bays until I was asked what I was doing. I was honest and told them I am doing what I can to find my car or any details. I asked if they had the capabilities to program a key and the response was they could not.

Last edited by TECNO; 07-14-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:32 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
Why do prints if they caught the guy? The fingerprint dust will and can get anywhere. It's sticky and messy.
Three men were involved, only one arrested at this time. I felt the damage by the dust was minimal and any chance to prosecute others was worth it.

Seeing the car today I initially did not see any dust from the detective work.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Glad you got it back!!! Have been watching the Netflix series on Miami SWAT and south Florida crime is brutal

Is your car stick or PDK?
Its Tip. Wife cant drive stick and we have three young kids so wife's demands were back seats and something she can drive.

Last edited by TECNO; 07-14-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

A screwdriver jimmied into the ignition will not start the car. The immobilizer needs to talk to a key to allow it to turn on. It's not a circa 1975 Buick or Ford. I know because I've done it before.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:03 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like someone made a copy of your key somehow.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Sounds like someone made a copy of your key somehow.
OP said the car sat idle for a month at a bodyshop... anyone there connected to a dealer could make a copy of the transponder.

Black smoke should be checked and even if Tip I would like to see an ECU over-rev report.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Still a lot of unanswered questions. Pics of the car post-recovery?
Old 07-16-2017, 12:22 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

This sounds like a crime network....

I needed a new key as one of my keys just plain failed. I stopped by the dealer for a new key (wasn't driving the 911) and they asked for my second key which I didn't have on me.

They verified my ownership based on VIN and ordered the key and I picked it up a week later. So for a dealer to make a key this is all they need.

Therefore and inside network could be at work...I wonder if the police are working on a high end auto theft case....

Anyways, hope the car will be OK...get a full PPI as ammo for damage claims to your insurance. If there are big over revs, get compensated for diminished value.

This guy's nads should be nailed to a flagpole....
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by mpath
Still a lot of unanswered questions. Pics of the car post-recovery?
I will post a couple next time I visit the car as it is still in the tow yard which is thirty minutes away. I expected to bring it home the only time I have seen it and didnt think of all these things I should have done. I released the car to the insurance company as I want them to examine the car in the state it is in before I start doing anything. The back seats are filled with random contents which are not mine. Interior other than looking like someone squatted in it for a night is in good shape. Outside no dents or scrapes. The front bumper has road rash.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 AM
exgtinows4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow what an ordeal... Glad the car is back... Hope everything checks out.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:44 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Makes me want to put in a fuel cutoff switch.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any advice for me? I'm driving to CT this week to attend the IMSA race and staying at a holiday inn express for 3 nights. This is the first time I'm taking my 911 to an overnight trip and parking it outside. My wife is also following me with her Mazda 6 as she's not going to the races. There is parking at the hotel with sidewalks against the building and high curbs sticking out like peninsulas with trees in them that would block the car from being moved in two directions. If I pull the 911 all the way up to the curb, I could angle park her Mazda at an angle blocking the other side and part of the back. Or am I being paranoid from reading this posts?

Last edited by Blaine 997; 07-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Have you told them you love them lately?