Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you told them you love them lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017 | 09:53 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big C
In the case of TECNO's car, if the theives were related to the auto body shop they would have known about a fuel cut-off switch.
Unless it was hidden and he didnt tell them. Loose lips . . .
Old 07-19-2017 | 11:49 AM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
PCNA should be able to track down where the extra key was made. THe OP should be on that right now. I would not wait for clueless cops to do anything. If a body shop is taking keys and getting copies made to steal cars, then chances are its more than just one car they have done it too.
I contacted PCNA the next day and informed them of the details. They did not seem to care one bit. They told me to contact the local service manager which I did and didn't even get a call back from the service manager.

I just visited the car at the dealership. Again doesn't seem they care one bit after my first visit. Ignition shows no abuse. While I was there we used a key from another 911 and the keys turns in the ignition, but as expected the car does not start.
Old 07-19-2017 | 12:18 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TECNO
I contacted PCNA the next day and informed them of the details. They did not seem to care one bit. They told me to contact the local service manager which I did and didn't even get a call back from the service manager.
And this surprises you?

It's all about profit. So if they see that you're not adding to their bottom line, then they're not interested!
Old 07-19-2017 | 12:22 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Contact Jalopnik and have them write a story on how a Porsche was stolen with a illegaly copied key and PCNA and the dealer, does not care. That will draw attention. Use the actual names of all the places, the dealer, its manager, and the body shop.
Old 07-19-2017 | 12:23 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Astur
And this surprises you?

It's all about profit. So if they see that you're not adding to their bottom line, then they're not interested!
Did not surprise me one bit actually. I asked at the dealership "doesn't Porsche want to know how my car was started without my key" answer - "probably not".
Old 07-19-2017 | 12:30 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TECNO
Did not surprise me one bit actually. I asked at the dealership "doesn't Porsche want to know how my car was started without my key" answer - "probably not".
You need to use my dealer in Hickory NC, you likely be treated much better...though I wills say they can be awful about returning phone calls. Oh wait that is 3000 miles away
Old 07-19-2017 | 02:37 PM
Iceter
Drifting

What is the upside for the dealer to help you track down a thief on its payroll?

I don't think opening themselves up to potential liability for the theft of your car is part of their job description.

I'm not sure why PCNA would be able to provide any information for you, either. It's not like the dealer notifies corporate every time it codes a new key.

I think you just need to call the investigating officer and bounce some of these theories off of him or her. They caught at least one of the guys, right? It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how they started the car.
Old 07-19-2017 | 09:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Iceter
What is the upside for the dealer to help you track down a thief on its payroll?

I don't think opening themselves up to potential liability for the theft of your car is part of their job description.

I'm not sure why PCNA would be able to provide any information for you, either. It's not like the dealer notifies corporate every time it codes a new key.

I think you just need to call the investigating officer and bounce some of these theories off of him or her. They caught at least one of the guys, right? It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how they started the car.
Agreed! PCNA has nothing to do with this. The OP and the Police should contact the dealer(s) in the area and find out key repro records and follow that thread.
Old 08-24-2017 | 09:26 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Agreed! PCNA has nothing to do with this. The OP and the Police should contact the dealer(s) in the area and find out key repro records and follow that thread.
BUT PCNA knows if a key was issued for this VIN# and from which dealer. They might have done it at a remote dealer, or out of state if they had someone working on the INSIDE.

Now, IF they're not cooperating, I BET a call or email from the detective will scare them off to cooperate more! I'd target both PCNA and local dealers.
Old 08-24-2017 | 11:07 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
BUT PCNA knows if a key was issued for this VIN# and from which dealer. They might have done it at a remote dealer, or out of state if they had someone working on the INSIDE.

Now, IF they're not cooperating, I BET a call or email from the detective will scare them off to cooperate more! I'd target both PCNA and local dealers.
Why would corporate know if a dealer made a new key for someone? Dealers aren't required to notify corporate when they make a new key.
Old 08-25-2017 | 11:10 AM
TECNO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iceter
Why would corporate know if a dealer made a new key for someone? Dealers aren't required to notify corporate when they make a new key.
At this point not one party cares how my car was stolen. I called PCNA twice and I cant even get past the phone operator. They refer me to the dealer. PCNA contacted my local dealer on my behalf.
No response. Dealer does not care one bit. Dealer confirmed my car was stolen using a key. I asked doesn't Porsche care how a key was made to steal my care. Answer "Probably not".

I pick the car up today, so I am hoping to have a conversation with the dealer, but I am not expecting much to come of this.
Old 08-26-2017 | 01:39 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Can anyone describe the process by which a dealer normally "orders" a new copy of a lost key with the transponder (as opposed to copying an existing one). If the dealer or PCNA had a hand in providing the key that was ultimately used to steal your car, that might explain why they're being particularly uncooperative right now with your nosiness.

Quick Reply: Have you told them you love them lately?