Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you told them you love them lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 AM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you told them you love them lately?

My 06 C2S was stolen from my driveway last night. Still in shock. Gone in less than 60 seconds. Gave chase in my Acadia, which did not stand a chance.

Insult to injury I just put all new Michelin PSS a month ago, did my own brake and rotors.

My Porsche ownership is not going to end this way. Hold your steering wheel a little tighter today, you never know when it will be gone.

Last edited by TECNO; 07-17-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

How was this done? Did you leave the keys in it? Taken on a faltbed?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM
TECNO
Advanced

We are not sure how they opened, started the car yet. I have my keys, so they did not use them. No glass on the driveway. The Porsche unlock/ lock design wasn't one of the best. I can not guarantee the car was locked. 98% of the time its locked.

Literally happened in a flash. My dog alerted us, my daughter looked out her window and saw two men standing by my car. There was another car with them. I happened to be very close to the front door when I opened it and both my car doors closed. Decided I didn't want to get shot for my car and hesitated for ten seconds or so. My FabSpeed exhaust roared and I decided I didn't want anyone taking my car. I was out the door in seconds. They backed the car up onto a curb in my cul de sac and laid rubber down the street. It was raining and they did a good job taking off as efficiently as they did.

My Acadia tried but couldn't keep up.

Police found a glove in my driveway, but I am not hoping for much. They say they can pull the dna, so well see where that goes.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 AM
DC911S
Drifting

I'm surprised they were able to get it started as the key has to talk to the ECU to get over the immobilizer to allow to start and drive.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 AM
TECNO
Advanced

That my biggest question I am trying to answer.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interested in learning how they were able to start the car without the key.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

This is not an easy car to steal, interested to hear how this develops.....
Old 07-13-2017, 11:24 AM
DC911S
Drifting

I'm sure the insurance company is very interested too. The codes on the immobilizer are pretty hard to get over. Anything can be hacked, given time, money, and effort.....but to walk up, get in the car, do something to bypass a key and the immobilizer, and drive off....as an engineer in RF and electronics myself, they could be pretty good tech guys. If this was so easy or they have the ability to give the tech to other thieves....then more of it could happen....
Old 07-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

By the background of your neighborhood, it looks gated.
The crime down here in So FL has escalated immensely in the past 5 years.
I'm actually looking to get the hell out shortly.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

interesting

that really sucks

will see if it turns up - but that is unlikely I say
Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Wow - that sucks. Keep us posted on how they did it and any leads from the cops. I posted about an issue 2 months ago where I caught two guys lurking around my my car suspiciously.

I was just outside SF parked at a touristy spot near the bay. I was across the street on the phone and out of the corner of my eye I saw two youngish asian males next to my car. One stood in front of the door while the other pretending to be taking pictures of him across the street, but was really acting as a lookout. Then the guy standing in front of the car turned around and tried to open the car door. I was similarly stunned for a couple seconds processing it. The best part was I was on a business call so couldn't yell. My best effort was to point at them with angry face from across the street. That was enough to get their attention. They stood there confused for a 30 seconds not knowing what to do and pretending to talk to each other. Then they got in their car, which was conveniently parked next to mine, and drove off.

Some guys on the forum had similar comments that its extremely difficult to steal a 997 so they were likely just looking for valuables left inside. However this post makes me think otherwise.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TECNO
Police found a glove in my driveway, but I am not hoping for much. They say they can pull the dna, so well see where that goes.
My bets on OJ
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Maybe they had a key. Wouldn't be the first time that a dealership employee was either a thief or a thief's accomplice.

The chances of having your car stolen or wrecked seem to be directly correlated to how much money you just spent on that car. New tires or you just completed a major repair? You'd better drive defensively for the next couple of months--every beat-up sled on the road is now magically attracted to your car.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Maybe they had a key. Wouldn't be the first time that a dealership employee was either a thief or a thief's accomplice.

The chances of having your car stolen or wrecked seem to be directly correlated to how much money you just spent on that car. New tires or you just completed a major repair? You'd better drive defensively for the next couple of months--every beat-up sled on the road is now magically attracted to your car.
I bet they got a key somehow through a dealer.

That sucks!

Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:49 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or a valet.

Damn! I think my old M1911A1 would have showed itself if I saw that going on in my driveway.

Quick Reply: Have you told them you love them lately?