Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 LED turn signal INOP, but only sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:07 AM
BoxCam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 LED turn signal INOP, but only sometimes...

I tried to search and didnt find anything so here is my issue:

Just bought a 997.2 with 20K miles on it last month (I had a 986 Boxster S for 10 years). Car is in great shape with no issues except Im getting the turn signals not working error on the dash and the turn signals and driving lights are not working on one side only. Ive had it on both sides but its usually the drivers side (thats left side as Im in the US). Its intermittent otherwise Id just replace it.

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxCam
I tried to search and didnt find anything so here is my issue:

Just bought a 997.2 with 20K miles on it last month (I had a 986 Boxster S for 10 years). Car is in great shape with no issues except Im getting the turn signals not working error on the dash and the turn signals and driving lights are not working on one side only. Ive had it on both sides but its usually the drivers side (thats left side as Im in the US). Its intermittent otherwise Id just replace it.

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions? Thanks
You should ask people around my area (metro detroit now) since I think most drivers here have this same issue.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

After investigating further this seems like a semi common problem even on other models like Cayenne. Others have solved the problem by cleaning the connection contacts. Im going to remove the bumper, check and clean all the contacts. I have to clean out my radiators anyway.

Its not the bulb assembly since I noticed the lights flashed while I was confirming my garage door and setting up my homelink, both turn signals flashed

Ill let everyone know how it goes. Please chime in tho if you have any ideas.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:48 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does a lights don't work message show on the dash ?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:53 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

Yeah, Im getting the lights out message on the dash. Running lights and turn signal lights are both out. The right side even went out once like a month ago but just for one trip. Im pretty sure its a connector somewhere or a relay...

We'll see
Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I had a problem with my rear tailight on my 2009... no dashlight but folks would tell me something was wrong..... I don't remember which light it was... backup, turn... whatever.

For me, I just reset the housing plug.... shot in some contact cleaner and pushed the plug in real hard. It came back after I did my sparkplugs and removed the rear bumper..... reseated the plug... no problem.

I don't think it is corrosion, but something mechanical about the plugs/sockets.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

UPDATE: I took the bumper off this weekend and it turns out it was the connection. I took the left light (the one that was not working) and plugged it into the right side and it worked. Since I then knew it was a connection issue I plugged and unplugged about 20 times, then sprayed some contact cleaner in the connector on both sides then added a tiny bit of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion in the future (in case that was causing the bad connection). Works fine now, we will see how long it lasts. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Last edited by BoxCam; 07-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 LED turn signal INOP, but only sometimes...