Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Okkkkay folks. Where it's at is the new dealer I brought the car too for diagnosis came up with some issues requiring trans replacement. They went to bat for me with PNA and the result is 1/2 off cost of new trans. So, rather than drag this out more I decided to approve the repair and move on. Lesson learned ... expensive lesson. I'll update thread when it's over and done with.

did you have any history with this dealership? Anything in particular that lead them to getting PCNA to work with you? Wondering for myself in case the TCU fix doesn't fix it.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Okkkkay folks. Where it's at is the new dealer I brought the car too for diagnosis came up with some issues requiring trans replacement. They went to bat for me with PNA and the result is 1/2 off cost of new trans. So, rather than drag this out more I decided to approve the repair and move on. Lesson learned ... expensive lesson. I'll update thread when it's over and done with.
Ok Ira, what did they quote you.......how many shmackers ??
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically $8 - 9k for a new PDK? Expensive as it is, that's probably very fair. Well done. And kudos to the dealership for going to bat for you.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:43 AM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
i do not have the time or crayons to explain it ssssssoooo to days safety tip . if you buy a used car out of warranty you may have to pay for repairs

Just because you bought the car 'new' does not mean that any manufacturer can or will always pay for repairs.

Besides this has nothing to do with 'warranty' but repair programs.

Keep the crayons.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by ehandschuh
did you have any history with this dealership? Anything in particular that lead them to getting PCNA to work with you? Wondering for myself in case the TCU fix doesn't fix it.
No history with this dealer short of visiting to look at inventory from time to time.

I didn't call them right away since it's like 40 miles away but they were one of the bigger dealers in the area so I gave it a try. It turned out the service manager actually cared about the customers and doing his job well.

I explained the situation to him, shared other diagnostics, told him about my current experience with Porsche NA and other dealer. He told me he had a good friend that worked at PCNA and would give him a call to see if anything can be done.

So I dropped the car off, they ran their own diagnostics and from what I understand did some pushing and as a result got the price of the trans down to just under $8k. They also gave me a nice deal on repairing the boot switch next to the drivers seat and a full detail. So, when I get the car back it will be as close to new as I'll get right now.

Not thrilled about laying out $8k but was between a rock and hard place. I would have lost a lot of equity I had in the car if I had to sell to dealer or auction without the trans.

Ira

Btw: I'll give the dealer name once I pick the car up and all checks out.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheLex
So basically $8 - 9k for a new PDK? Expensive as it is, that's probably very fair. Well done. And kudos to the dealership for going to bat for you.
The $8k price was with Porsche "Good Will program" where they picked up 1/2 the cost. Normal price without "good will" would have been like $15-$18k and a very painful check to write. So, I feel like this was as fair as I was going to get. I also agree about the dealership ... at least the service manager ( I haven't dealt with sales yet ).

I will for sure choose them over the purchasing dealer after this even tho it's a haul to get there. Also, forgot to mention that they gave me a new Cayenne as a loaner which was very cool. I wanted them to loan me a new 911 GTS but for some reason they couldn't do that.

Have a good weekend!

Ira
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 AM
iflat6
Track Day

The code was P1733 or P17333 I forget, but it is associated with the 3rd shift rod distance sensor. Not a mechanical failure. Symptom, car goes into limp home mode once the trans reaches operating temperature. PCNA diagnosed the problem as the TCU needing to be replaced and the dealership apparently wasn't 100% sold. The new TCU just shipped today and hopefully is installed Friday/Saturday. Fingers crossed this solves the problem!
Any update? Was TCU changed finally and solved the issue?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iflat6
Any update? Was TCU changed finally and solved the issue?
Just got off the phone with the dealership regarding the TCU install. Installed and the issue persisted same as before. This dealership will not go to bat with me regarding Porsche Good Will and they are instead calling a racing shop in our area to see if they can source the part that needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted as hopefully this gets fixed soon as $20k repair is out of the budget with a wedding and honeymoon coming up.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM
iflat6
Track Day

Just got off the phone with the dealership regarding the TCU install. Installed and the issue persisted same as before. This dealership will not go to bat with me regarding Porsche Good Will and they are instead calling a racing shop in our area to see if they can source the part that needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted as hopefully this gets fixed soon as $20k repair is out of the budget with a wedding and honeymoon coming up.
Thanks for the update. That's interesting. If I may, why are they willing to replace thé TCU while your issue indicated a problem related to hydraulic which would be more likely linked to the hydraulic control unit? I may have missed something here but this sounds weird to me. Also did they tell you what part needs to be replaced to their view?
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
iflat6
Track Day

Also wondering why folks are still talking about 17 to 20k repair since listed price for an PDK exchange (your faulty trans is replaced by a refurbished one) is around $7k here in Europe...you must add few hours of work on top but total will not be higher than $10k.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

The original poster was the hydraulic unit. Mine was associated with the Shift Rod 3 Distance sensor and PCNA thought it was coming from the TCU and not internal to the transmission. Seems they were wrong.

Also, the job is $20k up front and after you get your core charge back it's around $14.5k. They price the Transmission at $11.5k + Core, labor and oil etc.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 PM
iflat6
Track Day

The original poster was the hydraulic unit. Mine was associated with the Shift Rod 3 Distance sensor and PCNA thought it was coming from the TCU and not internal to the transmission. Seems they were wrong.

Also, the job is $20k up front and after you get your core charge back it's around $14.5k. They price the Transmission at $11.5k + Core, labor and oil etc.
ok got it, that said the hydraulic unit is not really internal to the trans but a replaceable part which is screwed under the main trans block. Is distance sensor actually not part of hydraulic unit but inside the trans itself?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:07 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iflat6
ok got it, that said the hydraulic unit is not really internal to the trans but a replaceable part which is screwed under the main trans block. Is distance sensor actually not part of hydraulic unit but inside the trans itself?
The distance sensor is internal to the PDK unit and as we know, Porsche won't open it. The dealership is waiting to hear from the race shop to see if they've made any progress on locating the part.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM
iflat6
Track Day

The distance sensor is internal to the PDK unit and as we know, Porsche won't open it. The dealership is waiting to hear from the race shop to see if they've made any progress on locating the part.
thanks for the info that's clear now. Keep us posted that's quite interesting.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Default PDK problems require full replacement

As if it wasn't enough of a challenge ... they got all the parts in and were ready too start the work. Then the Chicago area Mechanics Union went on strike. So no idea when I'll see my car again.

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement