Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently going through a similar issue with my 911 C2 pdk right now. On 7/3 my trans went into 'emergency run error' and then wouldn't shift in to gear. Got it to the dealership, cleared the code, everything worked and they were about to give it back to me when it went back into error/limp home mode. Turns out the 3rd shift rod distance sensor throws an error when the trans gets to operating temperature.

Porsche initially recommended a replacement of the pdk transmission control unit, but they couldn't source one to borrow and see if that actually was the problem. They then jumped to replacement of the transmission taking the TCU fix off the table as 'low probability'.

Spoke with PCNA and they gave me $500 voucher as good will/loyalty. Now looking for someone who actually can/will work on the pdk as a possibility or find a TCU to put in.

OP, I feel for you and hope the cheaper fix works for both of us!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Hi Folks ... dropped my car off at the new dealer to see what they could accomplish without replacing PDK. Pleasure dealing with these folks and they gave me a nice new Cayenne to use while they have my ride. So, that was nice and I've been considering picking up a Cayenne but never had any extended time to drive it. Just keeping hopeful they can just fix which looks like a valve issue instead of replacement option.
More to come ... thanks,
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Spoke with the head tech at my dealership and found out Porsche says it is the transmission control unit, but the dealership couldn't source one to 'try out' and decided to not risk me buying a $1,000 part that wouldn't work so they jumped to transmission replacement. Very similar to OP story. I ordered the part from another dealership for 40% off and they're going to install it. Fingers crossed this solves the problem.

Had the Cayenne as my loaner for 2 weeks, very nice car. Thinking of picking one up later this year.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehandschuh
Spoke with the head tech at my dealership and found out Porsche says it is the transmission control unit, but the dealership couldn't source one to 'try out' and decided to not risk me buying a $1,000 part that wouldn't work so they jumped to transmission replacement. Very similar to OP story. I ordered the part from another dealership for 40% off and they're going to install it. Fingers crossed this solves the problem.

Had the Cayenne as my loaner for 2 weeks, very nice car. Thinking of picking one up later this year.
I must be missing something. They did not want to 'risk' you losing $1000, so they instead moved to $25K solution that most likely was overkill?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:41 AM
hot nikon
Racer

This is truly becoming the 30 page/30 day thread from Hell…

Porsche really needs to figure out what it's going to do, this will only begin to occur more often as more PDKs age and fail, for whatever reason.

Ira, Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by hot nikon

..... this will only begin to occur more often as more PDKs age and fail, for whatever reason.
Porsche engineers have not beaten entropy....... stuff wears out... it is just the way the universe works. If Porsche does not come up with a repair protocol, then every long-term owner, or new owner of an older car, will face this in time.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 AM
iflat6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msingh5649
I must be missing something. They did not want to 'risk' you losing $1000, so they instead moved to $25K solution that most likely was overkill?
Indeed thats sounds strange !! Apparently they are not able to test the hydraulic unit on its own hence not able to detect if any issue in this part. Therefore, they recommend to change the whole tranny, well if most of the customers accept...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
iflat6
Track Day

Can you share what was the symptom and PIWI error codes if you get them? This may help all of us
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i do not have the time or crayons to explain it ssssssoooo to days safety tip . if you buy a used car out of warranty you may have to pay for repairs
Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
i do not have the time or crayons to explain it ssssssoooo to days safety tip . if you buy a used car out of warranty you may have to pay for repairs
Crayons...funny. The issue here is not whether or not stuff wears out. The issue is that when a $1,000 replaceable part wears out on the PDK, dealers are trying to get owners to pay $17k or more to replace the whole transmission.

I do find it funny that the dealer in question doesn't want to risk $1,000 of the customer's money, so the answer is total PDK replacement. Someone at that store needs a class in economics.

Or maybe this is just a reflection on Porsche owners in general? The dealers and corporate know that a lot of owners will just stroke a check for whatever and this is just an experiment to see how deep our pockets really are.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Okkkkay folks. Where it's at is the new dealer I brought the car too for diagnosis came up with some issues requiring trans replacement. They went to bat for me with PNA and the result is 1/2 off cost of new trans. So, rather than drag this out more I decided to approve the repair and move on. Lesson learned ... expensive lesson. I'll update thread when it's over and done with.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iflat6
Can you share what was the symptom and PIWI error codes if you get them? This may help all of us
The code was P1733 or P17333 I forget, but it is associated with the 3rd shift rod distance sensor. Not a mechanical failure. Symptom, car goes into limp home mode once the trans reaches operating temperature. PCNA diagnosed the problem as the TCU needing to be replaced and the dealership apparently wasn't 100% sold. The new TCU just shipped today and hopefully is installed Friday/Saturday. Fingers crossed this solves the problem!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 PM
iflat6
Track Day

The code was P1733 or P17333 I forget, but it is associated with the 3rd shift rod distance sensor. Not a mechanical failure. Symptom, car goes into limp home mode once the trans reaches operating temperature. PCNA diagnosed the problem as the TCU needing to be replaced and the dealership apparently wasn't 100% sold. The new TCU just shipped today and hopefully is installed Friday/Saturday. Fingers crossed this solves the problem!
Just to be sure, are you talking about the Hydraulic control unit or the PDK control unit here? Can you share how much you paid approximately?

Last edited by iflat6; 07-26-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iflat6
TCU (we're talking about the Hydraulic control unit here right?) will likely fix the 1733 issue. Can you share how much you paid approximately? TCU unit is around 1,500$ here in Europe.
Original poster problem was the hydraulic controller which costs about $1500 in the US too.

My problem was the TCU. The dealership the car is at wanted to charge me $1050, but I was able to find a Porsche dealership in MD selling it for $590

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement