Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stall with EVOMSit Tune and PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Engine Stall with EVOMSit Tune and PDK?

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else that has PDK equipped car with the current EVOMSit tune is having an issue with the engine stalling when pressing on the throttle when almost at a complete stop, but the PDK is still in second gear?

I am trying to not have to send my ECU back for the stock tune in order to isolate the problem between the PDK or the PDK with the tune. This problem occurs when I am slowing down for a stop with the car still showing 2nd gear in the display and then I jump back on the throttle and the engine stalls. Never a problem if I come to a complete stop and start in 1st gear. Before today it was annoying and not hard to recover from by stopping the car and re-starting it. Today I was making a left turn, almost stopped, jumped on the gas to go and it stalled leaving me a somewhat dangerous spot.

Are others with a PDK seeing this problem that don't have a tune? If I take it to the dealer they will probably blame the tune and not look at the PDK. I know the tune has a "sport pedal" mode and I am wondering if it is too aggressive when I jump back on the gas in second or when the PDK is transitioning between 2nd and 1st on a stop? All other aspects of drivability are perfect with the EVOMSit tune and I really hate to give it up if this is just a quirk of the PDK or something that can be fixed.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else that has PDK equipped car with the current EVOMSit tune is having an issue with the engine stalling when pressing on the throttle when almost at a complete stop, but the PDK is still in second gear?

I am trying to not have to send my ECU back for the stock tune in order to isolate the problem between the PDK or the PDK with the tune. This problem occurs when I am slowing down for a stop with the car still showing 2nd gear in the display and then I jump back on the throttle and the engine stalls. Never a problem if I come to a complete stop and start in 1st gear. Before today it was annoying and not hard to recover from by stopping the car and re-starting it. Today I was making a left turn, almost stopped, jumped on the gas to go and it stalled leaving me a somewhat dangerous spot.

Are others with a PDK seeing this problem that don't have a tune? If I take it to the dealer they will probably blame the tune and not look at the PDK. I know the tune has a "sport pedal" mode and I am wondering if it is too aggressive when I jump back on the gas in second or when the PDK is transitioning between 2nd and 1st on a stop? All other aspects of drivability are perfect with the EVOMSit tune and I really hate to give it up if this is just a quirk of the PDK or something that can be fixed.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.
more of a comment on my experience, than advise. I have the EVOMSit tune and works perfectly and made a difference. Fits all together nicely with the small modifications I've made to the car.

I have a 2011 C2S, PDK, Sports Chrono, Porsche Sport Exhaust, sharkwerks center X-pipe, and IPD Plenum. Worked with EVOMSit and they were very accommodating and know our cars. Assuming you have reached out to them first. There could be quite a few reasons why the car is stalling at lower RPM's and not related to the tune, or PDK.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:00 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply. I have similar set up, HFC, Plenum, Sport Exhaust and their tune really woke the car up. I will give them a call this morning and see what they think. Good to know you have no issues.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:22 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I had evomsit same car. I think you have a recurring porsche problem. I had a stall when i cam e to a stop many times. My service mgr said it was common in 997.2. I dont think it has anything to do with evomsit, i wouldnt take the program off
Old 07-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

What happens if you hit the downshift paddle just before getting back on the gas? Does it still stall or once the revs are forced into the proper range, before hitting the gas, does it work as expected?
Old 07-08-2017, 11:36 PM
911BOSS
Rennlist Member

I spoke to both EVOSIt and Sharkwerkes. Both confirmed that they had no complaints about the tune causing problems like this with a PDK. They suggested returning the ECU to have the stock tune installed and then taking it to Porsche to have the problem looked into. I can always send the ECU back to have the tune installed after they find and fix the problem. Both companies were very helpful on the phone.

EVOSit for sure wanted to know if going back to the stock ECU tune fixes the problem. Another suggestion they had was to go ahead and replace the PDK clutch fluid due the car being 6 years old (2011) even thought the miles are low (24K). They claim changing the clutch fluid has solved a lot of PDK drive ability issues for some.

I will get the ECU back to stock, take it to the dealer, and let you know where I end up. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:55 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911BOSS
I spoke to both EVOSIt and Sharkwerkes. Both confirmed that they had no complaints about the tune causing problems like this with a PDK. They suggested returning the ECU to have the stock tune installed and then taking it to Porsche to have the problem looked into. I can always send the ECU back to have the tune installed after they find and fix the problem. Both companies were very helpful on the phone.

EVOSit for sure wanted to know if going back to the stock ECU tune fixes the problem. Another suggestion they had was to go ahead and replace the PDK clutch fluid due the car being 6 years old (2011) even thought the miles are low (24K). They claim changing the clutch fluid has solved a lot of PDK drive ability issues for some.

I will get the ECU back to stock, take it to the dealer, and let you know where I end up. Thanks.
Not sure it you plan on removing ECU yourself, or have someone do it for you, but EVOMSit can now easily move programmed files via PC software and download to a device that connects to the car's OBD II plug and flashes the ECU. It avoids removing the ECU, then shipping it back and forth. It's how I purchased and installed.

Purchasing the device may be a good spend, especially if you plan on reinstalling the Evomsit tune on fixing issue. Allows you to store your stock tune and Evomsit tune on the device and PC. Also makes it easy for Evomsit to make adjustments on the fly if needed. You will also need a good battery charger that keeps the charge up, as the file is being flashed on the car's ECU. Installation drains the battery and can damage your ECU if battery goes below a certain voltage and shuts down during the process.

Last edited by 2011-sy-carreras; 07-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Stall with EVOMSit Tune and PDK?