Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017 | 01:02 PM
pv355
Advanced

Default Clutch Replacement

My 08 C2S is at 115k miles and I can feel the clutch starting to give out.
I am thinking about replacing the clutch myself but I'm nervous. My experience is limited to replacing the water pump, 3rd radiators, brake disc, fishing bolts out of my crankcase, etc.
Do you guys have any tips and/or encouraging-words?
What else should I plan to do while I have the transmission out?

Thanks!
pv
Old 07-06-2017 | 01:10 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

You can do it (encouragement!)

RMS, shifter cables (numeric), trans fluid, remove seal on the IMS bearing.

That's a start.....
Old 07-06-2017 | 01:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by pv355
My 08 C2S is at 115k miles and I can feel the clutch starting to give out.
I am thinking about replacing the clutch myself but I'm nervous. My experience is limited to replacing the water pump, 3rd radiators, brake disc, fishing bolts out of my crankcase, etc.
Do you guys have any tips and/or encouraging-words?
What else should I plan to do while I have the transmission out?

Thanks!
pv
I didn't read the links you provided but if you are the type that finds he often has to fish bolts out of places they shouldn't be or remove snapped bolts or you encounter other issues/problems of this nature, perhaps you should forego the clutch job and have this done professionally?

First and foremost you want to be sure you are capable of doing the clutch job right. There's a lot that can go wrong and putting it right can make having the clutch job done by a professional cheap in comparison.

Back when I did alot (all) of my own auto servicing/repairs (with other brands of cars) I'd research all I could about the job. Fortunately, the factory repair/service manuals were easy to obtain and there were a number of articles on the repairs in general car mags and in mags specifically targeted to the brand.

So when I started out I had a real good idea of what the job entailed.

Also, I worked slow and deliberate. My goal was to get the job done right the first time. If my time ran longer than a tech's time to do the same job that didn't bother me.

Also, if you plan on doing any other work "while you are there", like SoCal C2S suggested you need to thoroughly research these jobs too to know how to do the job right.

For instance if the RMS is replaced the new seal should *not* be installed at the exact same place as the previous seal. The old seal wil have worn a shallow "groove" in the crank journal and if the new seal is installed at this same place it will leak. Not right away but some short time afterwards.

For removing the IMSB bearing seal I'm not really a fan of that but you should research this and decide what you think is best.

You also have to be aware that the engine may need to be properly postioned and then secured from moving before you access the IMSB and its seal. If the proper procedue is not followed this can be a big job to put right. It will make fishing bolts out of places they don't belong seem like a fun day at the beach.
Old 07-06-2017 | 02:46 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

When my clutch needs replacement I fully intend on doing it myself too. I would recommend just make sure you have all the right tools. Anything that's called out special for the clutch replacement like the flywheel lock or any alignment tool for the clutch, etc, make sure you have handy in your tool box. You'd want to replace throw out bearing of course and from what I've heard often is that the slave cylinder usually needs replaced too while you're in there.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement