Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it sensible to drive a 2011 Carrera to Alaska?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM
poorshe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it sensible to drive a 2011 Carrera to Alaska?

Just took a 3600 mile trip and found the car to be suprisingly comfortable. But wonder if had car problems on the way to AlaskaI might have a hard time finding someone to make repairs. Of course up to now I havent needed any repairs.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

That would put Porsche Roadside Assistance to the ultimate test!

There's nothing sensible about driving a Porsche, or about going to Alaska. That's precisely why you should do it!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:53 PM
poorshe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roadside assistance is only available while car is under warranty. I find the Carrera to be a very sensible way to travel if you are not worried about the price. I bought the car to use as a daily driver and have no regrets.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts

Get AAA roadside assistance coverage, or one though your insurance.

There is a Porsche dealer in Anchorage
Old 06-28-2017, 08:09 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Porsche's are not little fragile things. Too many people baby them. Be up to date on services and carry a spare tire and go for it. Get it covered in Jalopnik. Stay off the interstates too. Sounds epic
Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by poorshe
Just took a 3600 mile trip and found the car to be suprisingly comfortable. But wonder if had car problems on the way to AlaskaI might have a hard time finding someone to make repairs. Of course up to now I havent needed any repairs.
Some years ago I considered a drive to the arctic circle (and above) all the way up to Prudho Bay, Alaska. The route would take me to someplace in Canada and from there then I'd take Highway 1 and go on up.

At first I thought I'd do this in my Boxster. Then I read about bears. Wanting something more between me and a hungry bear than the soft top of my Boxster I considered using my 2002 VW Golf TDi.

The TDi was a plus because of its much better fuel mileage (in a pinch 500 miles between fill ups) and the recommendation to carry extra fuel just in case. Extra fuel, spare tires (the TDi already had room for a full sized spare), spare fuel pump, spare fuel filter, alternator, fan/v-belt, timing belt, tools, jacks, jack stands, pieces of wood to support the jack and jack stands, etc.

Then I read if I go in the summer expect to need a new paint job and new windshield after I get back. All the grit kicked up by the heavy trucks on the unpaved roads.

If you break down in the summer in some areas the mosquitoes can be so bad if you do not have proper shelter you can be driven mad.

If you break down in the winter you can freeze to death.

There were other issues but I decided to skip the drive.

Driving to other places in Alaska, say Anchorage (I5 from Seattle to Trans Canada/BC 1 to BC 97N to BC16W to AK1, around 2300 miles) might not be the "adventure" of driving to Prudho Bay, but still you have to consider the fuel range of the car and I have to wonder if premium grades of gasoline would be available.

Also, you have to carry spares for just in case. Tires. And speaking of tires you'd want to fit the meanest/toughest tires in the correct size -- which may mean a change in wheels too. And you have to carry tools. And the fact you may have to have someone (armed) stand guard to watch for bears or scatter the mosquitoes while you lay on semi-melted permafrost to replace a water pump.

While the car hasn't needed any repairs so far there ain't nothing like being way the heck out in the boonies to bring about the need for repairs.

Driving up north into Canada and then across Canada I think would be a fun trip. Many do this, though probably not in a Porsche.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

Having made this trip a few times now on various motorcycles I can tell you your car and the driver will not be the same when you return.

Western BC CA road are great shape and other than the wild animal risk/road hazards its a fun and quite scenic drive. As you enter AK roads, pot holes, repairs (summer months) all change and not for the better.

Have 100 mi towing range AAA and a good spare and all season tires air to max pressure.

Return with some amazing stories.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
S
At first I thought I'd do this in my Boxster. Then I read about bears. Wanting something more between me and a hungry bear than the soft top of my Boxster I considered using my 2002 VW Golf TDi.
Funny! I ran across my first bear while driving a miata on Skyline Drive here in Va and had the same thought. It was a pretty young bear crossing the road. I had the top down and thought, "oh **** where is mama bear" as I put the top up and started backing up.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alaska says you'll be fine... "Once a bumpy dirt road, the Alaska Highway is now a modern, well maintained highway."

https://www.travelalaska.com/Getting...By%20Road.aspx

I have wanted to do this drive in my GT3 on rally spec M+S tires and with the motons jacked up all the way for years, hope you blaze the trail and share your experiences
Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Alaska is a massive state. The primary question that needs answered is where in Alaska. Ketchikan? Definitely! Barrow? Meh.. I probably wouldn't unless its the height of summer.

(I'm still sore I didn't get to move to Ketchikan)

Quick Reply: Is it sensible to drive a 2011 Carrera to Alaska?