Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

As seller, I did it at a bank with the buyer and the buyer's bank check present. My bank called the other bank, verified the funds, and put it in my account. As for clearing, they said I was protected then and there. I signed the title and put it on a trailer that afternoon.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
I have seen 997.1 that I like and made an offer which he accepted. We agreed how to handle the financial and pick up the car on Thursday. In the beginning he accepted to give it out in cashier's check given that cashier's check is written infront of him so that he believes it is legitimate check.

A day later he emails me back saying I am not accepting cashier's check because even If I write it down infront of him, I can still "somehow" cancel the check at the same time. He only wants cash (40K) right now if I want the car, otherwise he is threatening to go with another offer. I called the bank and they told me you have to give us a heads up 3 days in advance. I even asked for his phone number to discuss over the phone but he refused to give out the phone number.

What is wrong with people nowadays? No body trust any body anymore?
thinking I will find a way to trick him?

What would you do if you were in my situation and loved the car? Would you bend over to please him or would you pass?

Thanks
Read thru all the entertaining responses, but in all seriousness, when purchasing an expensive item like a car from an individual you don't know and is selling his/her own, there are some quality car escrow services for a purchaser or seller to utilize. They can handle all the important points of a sale. i.e. - title, confirming no outstanding loan on the car, and if a loan is outstanding, handle the payoff via the proceeds of the buyer to assure clean title is passed to the buyer. Also can hold funds in escrow as a PPI is performed on the car being purchased. The fee can be split, or covered by either side of the sale.

If this person asking for a cash sale does not want to use an escrow service, you should probably walk away from the purchase. Something else may be up. But based on the sellers concern, the escrow firm is a perfect solution for securing his, or her interests.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 AM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't conclude a deal with a guy who changes the deal part way through. There are other cars and other sellers.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold a 6 month old Harley a few years back. Agreed to transfer the paper work at a local downtown bank in Sturgis SD during Bike Week. Let the bank know what I was there for and would need them to verify the check. Guy showed up and his wife was carrying a large satchel. We sat down at a table and she opened the bag and started pulling out banded stacks of $1000. Did not even make a dent in the bag. Some people like cash. He turned out to be a race promoter that did cash deals.

Should have seen the bank tellers shocked look as they were pulling out the money
Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP said that the seller wants all cash in front of the bank teller.

Basically, the OP called the bank a few days prior (so they have time to get the cash). On the deal day, both parties walk into the bank. The OP asks the bank teller to take the cash out in front of the seller. The seller then signs over the paper work.

I don't see any risk there. Having a few big friends staying near the door helps j/k.

I've had restaurant owner asked me to pay $20K in cash for our party, to get some discounts, one day prior to the party's date. I had to go to 2 banks to get the cash out. It wasn't a big deal.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody
I sold a 6 month old Harley a few years back. Agreed to transfer the paper work at a local downtown bank in Sturgis SD during Bike Week. Let the bank know what I was there for and would need them to verify the check. Guy showed up and his wife was carrying a large satchel. We sat down at a table and she opened the bag and started pulling out banded stacks of $1000. Did not even make a dent in the bag. Some people like cash. He turned out to be a race promoter that did cash deals.

Should have seen the bank tellers shocked look as they were pulling out the money
Ha! I sold my 2005 Toyota Tundra to a local guy about 5 years ago for $14K. He came to the house with one of those old envelope style bank pouches with a zipper on the top and $14K in cash, all $100 bills.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Has the OP even responded to the questions about whether he has seen the car or met the owner?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I hate cash transactions, but I understand the risk of cashier's check. I once sold my BMW 545i for $30K and demanded cash from the buyer. It took me and my wife 30-40 minutes to authenticate each $100 bill and count them.

When I bought my $67K C4S 3 years ago. I flew with my brother from CA to Seattle, the seller picked us up with the C4S (my brother folded his legs to fit in the back seat) and we drove directly to BofA closest to the airport. I bought the cashier's check in front of him and the bank manger, he then immediately deposited in his BofA account. I check his ID against the title and all was good. Obviously, I had checked the carfax to make sure this wasn't a stolen car first. I then dropped the seller to the nearest train station and off we go. 30 minutes max spent in the bank.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:00 PM
SWO Daddy
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jfort
As seller, I did it at a bank with the buyer and the buyer's bank check present. My bank called the other bank, verified the funds, and put it in my account. As for clearing, they said I was protected then and there. I signed the title and put it on a trailer that afternoon.
This
Old 06-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

speedracerf4i

Did you go look at the car in person? was pictures enough and if you did not go an look at the car did it look like the picture when you finally saw it. I'm looking at out state cars and wondering if going to look is a must.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:33 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Has the OP even responded to the questions about whether he has seen the car or met the owner?
To answer, No
I was going to travel to another state to pick up the car. So I never met the owner nor seen the car until I arrive. But I am not sure what is the point of this question, ultimately, I am going to see the car when I pick it up, unless car is in different shape than it was described, I would still pay him and pick up the car.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
speedracerf4i

Did you go look at the car in person? was pictures enough and if you did not go an look at the car did it look like the picture when you finally saw it. I'm looking at out state cars and wondering if going to look is a must.
I did not see the car in person before I committed to buy the car. But I asked for a ton of picture, taken recently showing the mileage, and asked the seller to take the car to Tacoma Porsche for PPI. The seller seems to be a very candid an honest person. He even offered to pay for the PPI for me first, then I could reimburse him if I choose to buy the car. If I didn't, then he will just keep the PPI report for the next buyer.

When buying sight unseen, be prepare to walk away and take a loss on your plane ticket. But make sure the seller knows that you'll walk if the car wasn't as advertised, so ask a lot of question.

I was lucky because the car turned out much better than the picture. It only has 14K miles when I found her.
Attached Images  

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 06-29-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: fixing grammar
Old 06-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

very nice car Craig's list did you ever think you would buy a car from them? I just sold my 2000 Boxster on cars.com use to be the only way was to put it in the local newspaper and a sign in the window.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
To answer, No
I was going to travel to another state to pick up the car. So I never met the owner nor seen the car until I arrive. But I am not sure what is the point of this question, ultimately, I am going to see the car when I pick it up, unless car is in different shape than it was described, I would still pay him and pick up the car.
You haven't met the seller, you haven't had anyone check out the car on your behalf and the seller is so sketchy that he won't even give you his phone number.

...But he wants his $40k in cash.

If you don't see the point of the question then roll on, my man.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with people?