Sponsored by:

What's wrong with people?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 AM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Default What's wrong with people?

I have seen 997.1 that I like and made an offer which he accepted. We agreed how to handle the financial and pick up the car on Thursday. In the beginning he accepted to give it out in cashier's check given that cashier's check is written infront of him so that he believes it is legitimate check.

A day later he emails me back saying I am not accepting cashier's check because even If I write it down infront of him, I can still "somehow" cancel the check at the same time. He only wants cash (40K) right now if I want the car, otherwise he is threatening to go with another offer. I called the bank and they told me you have to give us a heads up 3 days in advance. I even asked for his phone number to discuss over the phone but he refused to give out the phone number.

What is wrong with people nowadays? No body trust any body anymore?
thinking I will find a way to trick him?

What would you do if you were in my situation and loved the car? Would you bend over to please him or would you pass?

EDIT: Deal is Off. After playing all his rules, he still had doubts/uncertainty about me and called it off. My only explaination is to what happened is he had another higher offer and just tried to find all these excuses to not commit to me anymore...

Even the bank I requested from the cash called me from HQ to get answers on why I need all this money in cash and lectured me on why I should not deal with him if he is requesting that amount...etc

Thanks guys for responses/feedback...I guess now we live in a world that nobody trusts anybody

Last edited by 911-997; 06-29-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's true that you can put a stop on a bank or cashiers check just like any other check. A cashiers checks only guarantees that when you get the check there's money in the account to cover it. Depending on what state you live in there could be other issues. In NJ you have 3 business days to negate a contract. So you literally could buy a car from someone, drive it around for a couple days and then take it back for a refund. Stuff like that doesn't happen often, but it can. We live in a society where there's plenty of reason not to trust someone. BUT, he owns the car, he calls the shots. You want it, you have to play by his rules.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:09 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

soo....he wants $40k in a briefcase? Lol.

I'd arrange to have a wire or something to his bank account (which he can confirm with the bank in person) with the car in the parking lot and an agreement perhaps even on paper discussing escrow for vehicle + transfer of car title.

If you want the car that badly and at that price, yes of course you should put in the little extra effort...why not?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always meet people at the bank. Do the exchange, and ask the bank manager to verify the check, in front of him.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
I always meet people at the bank. Do the exchange, and ask the bank manager to verify the check, in front of him.
This is the way to go. Both parties are safe.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't be meeting anyone with 40K in cash........

Besides its ridiculous - he's going to count it, all of it, would take a while and if he's that paranoid half way through he'll start wondering if the banknotes are fake.....

Meet at the bank.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Do a wire transfer. Don't carry around 40K of cash....if he is asking for that, it could be a set up for you to get robbed.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997

What is wrong with people nowadays? No body trust any body anymore?
thinking I will find a way to trick him?
This has happened to me before. The real problem is that you guys had a verbal agreement in place and now he's changing his mind. I would call him out on that.

Secondly, while banks tout that cashier's checks are better than cash, it's possibly for someone to fabricate one. Doing the car deal at the bank is a PITA because banks hate to give up large sums of money. I know it's silly, but I've done enough deals that it happens a lot. Regardless, that's the best way.

My my last car purchase was a wire transfer and took several hours to complete

If he wants cash and you are meeting at the bank, give him cash. It's his risk to be honest. Just please make sure the bank know the situation and will have the cash on hand. Not only on hand, but they have to b willing to take it out, which they won't be, but it's your money and they have to. You might make friends with a manager there and explain the situation.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you are experiencing is the changed society we live in today today. It is unfortunate, but the "trust factor" has mostly vanished from financial transactions between individuals.

Excellent advice has already been given...do the settlement during business hours and at a bank. I have sold two cars in the last year. Both deals were done at my bank. One deal the buyer wire transferred funds to my bank account...took maybe 20 minutes for the wire and confirmation by my branch manager. Second deal was with a cashiers check from the buyers out-of-state bank. My branch manager was on the phone with the buyers bank for about 5 minutes to confirm the check was legit.

Is all this a PITA...yes. Many of us can recall the days you could write a personal check for a car purchase and the deal was done. Sadly, those days are basically gone.

Enjoy your new Porsche!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a seller do the same thing. She was afraid of all sorts of payments. We finally agreed on cash, which is the riskiest on her part.

Banks will give you cash, but you have to give them a heads up so they can 'order' it.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not give him the payment in whatever form and wait to till it clears to receive the car? If he's local you could have the car held by a third party such as a dealer in the meantime with the key's.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ten Years
Simple as that.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Wait, you're all missing the forest for the trees.

This guy wants $40k in cash and he won't give you his phone number? Did he tell you to leave it in a trash can at the park and after he counted it, he would contact you to tell you where he left the car?

This whole situation is totally FUBAR. Run away.

There are plenty of ways to guarantee funds without walking into an ambush with a brown bag full of cash. Here is some information on how to recognize scams. HTH.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...line-scams.htm
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RUN!!!

$40k in cash is asking for a robbery. Plus, he can completely deny the money was ever handed to him once it's in his possession.

RUN!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:47 AM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to protect yourself too. No way I'd take $40K cash to him. Too many red flags and you want a financial trail of the transaction for yourself. If you decide to move forward anyway, meet at a bank as already mentioned, or... meet somewhere else neutral, both bringing your laptops/phones. Wire the funds to him at that meeting. He can confirm on his laptop while you're sitting there. Wait for them to hit his account (usually less than an hour). Exchange title, bill of sale and all other paperwork. Drive away!

BTW, have you seen the car in person? Good luck!

Quick Reply: What's wrong with people?