Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV-TV HUR 997 - Carplay on 997.2s

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:00 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great deal here guys if someone is thinking about doing this.... https://slickdeals.net/f/10408224-pi...ebate-free-s-h
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by devioustrap
If you want Waze, you need an Android phone and an radio that supports Android Auto.
Why would that be a requirement. An iOS phone with a radio that supports Apple CarPlay should also work, right?

Or the car head unit itself could be running a version of Android and natively runs the app directly on the head unit, though I'm not sure now a days head unit makers would do that.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:44 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
Why would that be a requirement. An iOS phone with a radio that supports Apple CarPlay should also work, right?

Or the car head unit itself could be running a version of Android and natively runs the app directly on the head unit, though I'm not sure now a days head unit makers would do that.
The latter... CarPlay and Android Auto both have the apps run/display on the headunit. Except in CarPlay, Apple doesn't allow any navigation apps except their Apple Maps, so if you want google maps or waze, you need to use an Android device.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 AM
starvational
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Danilo, I saw you reference this post in a recent thread and had a question that I figured I'd ask here:

What functionality do you lose when you take out the PCM unit? I though I'd read somewhere that you lose access to sports chrono without the PCM unit. So does that mean no more launch control? Is the row of sports/sport plus/suspension buttons below the deck functional? Can you still see current the tire pressure for all your tires in the dash via the wheel stock?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:19 PM
fins
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starvational
Hi Danilo, I saw you reference this post in a recent thread and had a question that I figured I'd ask here:

What functionality do you lose when you take out the PCM unit? I though I'd read somewhere that you lose access to sports chrono without the PCM unit. So does that mean no more launch control? Is the row of sports/sport plus/suspension buttons below the deck functional? Can you still see current the tire pressure for all your tires in the dash via the wheel stock?

Thanks!
Subscribed
Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by starvational

Thanks!
Originally Posted by danilonovelli
hey all... I am posting this because it took me a lot of research and time before I went for it... there is scarse info scattered all over... so hopefully, this helps you... SO, I had been debating on modernizing my 997 stereo/comms while preserving original look and value - so not chopping away at the PCM3 system and harness... wanted to add a backup camera and use of carplay, as this is my daily driver... so after significant research and time, I decided to get the NAV-TV HUR 997 to be able to use the Bose amp and speakers (so minimal component replacement) and replace the PCM3 unit with a pioneer app radio 4 (there are many other options for head units but my son has this one and it works well)... I did the install myself... takes time but if you have installed stereos before you should be ok... I hit a snag with volume - or lack of - where I had to call NAV-TV and turns out I needed to update firmware, which was really easy and fast, connecting the HUR to a windows machine... Bob at NAV-TV took the time to walk me through and help with other questions I had on the install... these guys are awesome! anyway, here are some pics... if you have questions just let me know... cheers
I am also looking for answer to this. I am looking to upgrade but I don't want to lose Sport Chrono functionality.

OP, Do you retain sport chrono if we replace PCM?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You lose the lap timer and the Nav computer when you get aftermarket head unit. The aftermarket head unit is not able to control those functions
Old 08-28-2017, 03:31 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Waze is also available on Apple phones.

Yves
Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
You lose the lap timer and the Nav computer when you get aftermarket head unit. The aftermarket head unit is not able to control those functions

Other than those, everything else still works? Like Sport Chrono, PASM ?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM
danilonovelli
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

yes... everything else works... my car is a cab so lap timer is useless as I would not take it to a track... and navigation is much better from phone... some shots below... cheers
Attached Images   
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM
starvational
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC911S
yes... everything else works... my car is a cab so lap timer is useless as I would not take it to a track... and navigation is much better from phone... some shots below... cheers
I don't have much use for the lap timer either, so it's good to hear that everything else works. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 PM
maturola
6th Gear

pics as promised

Thank you for this, i've been trying to do this for a while I feel more confident seeing other people had accomplished it.

Can you give me an idea on how (where, what is needed) did you wire the rear cam all the way to the head unit? (Pics would help..)

Thank you so much

Last edited by maturola; 10-05-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Did you keep steering wheel controls?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM
maturola
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Kellen
Did you keep steering wheel controls?
I'll of course let the OP confirm, however based on my research you can retain the wheel controls with some additional hardware, depending on the head unit you are going with. For example I'm will be using the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, for that the following are required for steering wheel controls: PAC ControlPRO or the Axxess ASWC-1.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You need extra bit to keep steering wheel controls and they can be tricky to add and set up. I used the Axxis module on my Nismo Z and unless you are good with splicing and soldering don’t try it by yourself

Quick Reply: NAV-TV HUR 997 - Carplay on 997.2s