Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumtion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go in through the #6 spark plug hole. It's a 10 minute job to pull the coil out on #6 and have your scope down the bore. Put it at BDC, take a few screen shots and post them. Plenty of experts here will chime in once we have something to see. Without good visual representation we're pissing up a rope...

Originally Posted by Badbosscar
OK so I did the bore scope and it was a pain the easiest place to see into the cylinders was actually by taking the header off (Pain as broken bolts but no biggy). I turned the engine until the exhaust valves were open and I could see into the cylinders. I noted right away that #6 cylinder (think) the one closest to the front of the car on the passenger side at any rate, was quite carboned up and the plug was oily. The valves were covered in carbon deposits. But the other two cylinders look real good and as they should. There is scoring in number six but it doesn't look super bad but it is hard to tell even with the bore scope.

Any thoughts
Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My 2006 engine has been using 1 quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 every 1000 miles since day one. Since Porsche cites some totally BS oil usage standard of 1.6 quarts per 1000 miles (or whatever it is) it's all moot.

When I changed to a slightly highly oil viscosity (5W-40) I got better duration on my oil.

Some have chalked it up to what's known as a "tolerance stack" but with what's going on in Number 6 cylinder, I think you found your issue.

Quick Reply: Oil consumtion