Sponsored by:

how to align the door window?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts
Default how to align the door window?

I am getting more wind noise on my passenger side and decided to look closely at all the seals, etc.... Couldn't find anything, but I did notice that the gap between the passenger door window and the rear side window (at the B pillar) has a larger gap than my drivers side (ironically, the gap is very similar to my Bro 991).

Anyone know how to re-align the window and move it back slightly?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh, good timing.

I'm halfway through replacing the window track on my passenger's door. There are two jack screws under the door beneath oval grommets. They adjust the height of the closed window. See attached from the 997.1 workshop manual starting on page 2499 - Adjusting the door window height

Old 05-24-2017, 09:19 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(edit--semicycler beat me to it)

Working from memory:

The rake of the window can be adjusted via the independent fore and aft height adjusters at the bottom of the door. Lie on your back looking up at the bottom of the open door, and you'll find four removable rubber plugs. One set--either the innermost of outermost, can't remember--adjusts the inward/outward cant of the window by relocating the regulator's bottom anchor. The other set is the one you want, and the holes allow access to the height adjusters. You can only reach the height adjusters with the window fully lowered; use a small socket (5mm?), and if I remember correctly the direction you turn to raise\lower the height is counterintuitive. It isn't as complicated as it sounds once you see it. You might count/record the direction and number of turns on the adjusters so that you can easily go back to where you started.

If that doesn't get the job done, you can slide the window fore or aft in the regulator clamp. You'll need to remove the door card (but not the inner metal door panel behind it) and then there are two plugs near the top of the door. remove those and, with the window raised you can loosen (DON'T REMOVE!) the clamp bolts enough to slide the window forward or backward. Adjust, tighten clamps, test, repeat...

Search through the Pelican technical articles for help. They tend to be blended 996/997, and thus may be a little confusing. Should be a DIY there for the door card removal.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:35 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
Oh, good timing.

I'm halfway through replacing the window track on my passenger's door. There are two jack screws under the door beneath oval grommets. They adjust the height of the closed window. See attached from the 997.1 workshop manual starting on page 2499 - Adjusting the door window height

i don't think it needs to go higher but needs to go further back (towards the rear of the car).
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
i don't think it needs to go higher but needs to go further back (towards the rear of the car).
You making an assumption that this gap is the cause of the noise. May not be......

For my Boxster, the wind noise was cause by the rake of the window as noted by MFGJR... (adjustment as noted by the guys above, is from under the door and easy to do) . further, making the top of the glass go OUT did the trick. This is counter intuitive but having the window IN, closer into the car causes the wind to arc around the A pillar and cause noise. To test, just drive, get the noise, and push out on the glass... use a stick.

My 2009 C2S has the same gap difference that you found..... it always bugged me but to adjust that aspect of glass fit, you must pull the door panels off and get jiggy with it.... not an easy task. I read somewhere a long time ago how to align a window it is not easy as the curves are all goofy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Raise the front jack screw, lower the rear. It will tilt the window slightly towards the rear closing the gap.

Or pull the interior door card, raise the window all the way up, remove the two interior grommets, unscrew the glass, then shift the glass to the rear. The details are buried in the same workshop procedure above.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You making an assumption that this gap is the cause of the noise. May not be......

For my Boxster, the wind noise was cause by the rake of the window as noted by MFGJR... (adjustment as noted by the guys above, is from under the door and easy to do) . further, making the top of the glass go OUT did the trick. This is counter intuitive but having the window IN, closer into the car causes the wind to arc around the A pillar and cause noise. To test, just drive, get the noise, and push out on the glass... use a stick.

My 2009 C2S has the same gap difference that you found..... it always bugged me but to adjust that aspect of glass fit, you must pull the door panels off and get jiggy with it.... not an easy task. I read somewhere a long time ago how to align a window it is not easy as the curves are all goofy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
very interesting. The only difference I found was that it had a larger gap but I could totally see how too much cant either way would let air in, creating too much noise
Old 05-25-2017, 12:56 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the trick:
have someone underneath the door lay and loosen the screws. You stand above them and adjust the window backwards to where the game is similar in width to the other side. You also need to be adding pressure to the window into the door to add the rake. Push in, up, and then slightly backwards at the same time. It's not hard to do but you need another set of hands. Once you're happy with it, have your buddy tighten the screws before you let go. Then test drive. If it don't work, start adding strips of tape and then go for a drive. See which one fixes the noise. -Former Master Porsche tech.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 81911
Here's the trick:
have someone underneath the door lay and loosen the screws. You stand above them and adjust the window backwards to where the game is similar in width to the other side. You also need to be adding pressure to the window into the door to add the rake. Push in, up, and then slightly backwards at the same time. It's not hard to do but you need another set of hands. Once you're happy with it, have your buddy tighten the screws before you let go. Then test drive. If it don't work, start adding strips of tape and then go for a drive. See which one fixes the noise. -Former Master Porsche tech.
👍👍👍
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

I'm having the opposite issue... The passenger door window is actually hitting the read window when the door handle is pulled.

I assume I need to raise the back, that way I change the angle of the window. Agree?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:07 PM
hptom
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door window and rear window are hitting

Having the same problem. Appeared quite suddenly. How did you fix it?
Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Joins the question. (997.2 coupe)
Similar situation, my passenger door window touches an upper rubber threshold / caught while opening or closing the door ...
I think I need to lower my passenger window a bit for a perfect fit.
Is there a way to make this adjustment without disassembling the door panel?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 PM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello digging this from the graveyard. I need to do this for a 991.1 can you explain where these screws on a 997 are?

Raise the front jack screw, lower the rear. It will tilt the window slightly towards the rear closing the gap.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:44 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Trying to adjust window height (997.2) to get rid of wind noise (rear portion of driver window not high enough to meet rubber seal), got couple of questions:

1. There are 4 holes at the bottom of the door, 2 height adjustment screws (one is one of the 2 holes at the front of the door and the other is the one of 2 at the rear of the door), I thought maybe one of them adjust the front height and the other adjust the rear height, but seems like actually they both effect the height of the front and rear of the window? what are the differences in them?
2. anti-clock wise is supposed to raise the windows and clockwise suppose to lower. If I turn it 6-12 turns or so it will raise the window a bit (maybe 3mm or so) but looks like if i turn further it has no effect or maybe even lower the window a bit, is that expected? Also is it possible for the screw to come out if I keep turning anti-clockwise or there is an anchor to prevent that? I was worrying to put in too many turns to experiment, afraid that the screw might come out and hard to put back in.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:50 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler

Or pull the interior door card, raise the window all the way up, remove the two interior grommets, unscrew the glass, then shift the glass to the rear. The details are buried in the same workshop procedure above.
@semicycler I'm rying to adjust window height (997.2) to get rid of wind noise (rear portion of driver window not high enough to meet rubber seal), got couple of questions:

1. There are 4 holes at the bottom of the door, 2 height adjustment screws (one is one of the 2 holes at the front of the door and the other is the one of 2 at the rear of the door), I thought maybe one of them adjust the front height and the other adjust the rear height, but seems like actually they both effect the height of the front and rear of the window in the same direction? I guess it is possible that the front raise both front and rear but raise the front more but the difference seems small to see.
2. anti-clock wise is supposed to raise the windows and clockwise suppose to lower. If I turn it 6-12 turns or so it will raise the window a bit (maybe 3mm or so) but looks like if i turn further it has no effect or maybe even lower the window a bit, is that expected? Also is it possible for the screw to come out if I keep turning anti-clockwise or there is an anchor to prevent that? I was worrying to put in too many turns to experiment, afraid that the screw might come out and hard to put back in.

Quick Reply: how to align the door window?