Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car jack do you carry on long road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You may want to read about my recent flat tire in my 2009 C2S...... Porsche goo doesn't work... a tire plug kit that I carry saved the day.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Tire plug kits work with small punctures but not with large holes or with rupture of the side walls. That is where the spare is necessary. Waiting for AAA and a flatbed can turn into a multi-hour pain in the a**, especially in a heat wave in the desert or on a rainy night on Highway 1, etc. A spare can get you back on the road in just minutes. As for the wheel with the flat tire, if your carry a strong sharp knife (not folding type) as part of your tool kit, you can, with relative ease, cut the carcass of the tire off the rim. The rim will then fit easily behind the seats or in the trunk.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Where does the flat tire go? I could imagine the front seat but if you have someone with you then it's tricky I would think

Matt
Good question Matt. Well, I've had a flat front tire in the back seat, but, I don't know if the wide rear will fit. So, it's a 50/50 toss whether you have to flatbed.
I consider the TPMS (aftermarket in my case) combined with the plug type repair kit as my first line of defense- if you act fast enough you can save both your tire and rim. The spare tire is some extra insurance.
Johan
Old 05-25-2017, 12:50 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Plug kit, compressor and aluminum scissor jack from my 951.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is my emergency kit. There is no way I'm hauling a floor jack or any real jack with me. Where would I put the tire and wheel, and besides, I carry no spare. Do you?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-tire-kit.html

Quick Reply: What car jack do you carry on long road trips?