First post - Your opinion on reasonably priced 997 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Florian Boucher
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post - Your opinion on reasonably priced 997 Cabriolet

Hello everyone,

First time I drove a Porsche was in 2012. It was a brand new Boxster S equipped with a PDK gearbox and the magical flat 6. I experienced the exact same symptoms as falling for a woman: did not want to let her go, thought about her all day, considered about getting into a more serious relationship.

It was not my car at the time. Now may be the time I finally become a Porsche owner though. I am looking for a 911 997 Cabriolet as I live in California. I found one that is a few grand below market price. Here is the link for the car. Here is the link for the carfax. I also found some interesting details on vehiclehistory.com. I have two concerns about this car:

1) it got into an accident in 2010.

Here is the description of the accident in the carfax report:

Involving rear impact with another motor vehicle
Vehicle functional
Airbags did not deploy

Dealer says that the rear part of the 911 got hit, nothing major. But we all know that the rear part of a 911 is potentially where it can get the most painful.

2) Car was on sale for at least 7 months in 2015

So here is my question to you, Porsche fans: is this car worth hiring an inspector to assess its condition?

Thank you!

Last edited by Florian Boucher; 05-13-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 05-13-2017, 05:15 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The price is tempting!

The accident was several years ago when first owner had the car. The second owner held onto the car for several years so I would think he was happy with it.

Take it for a test drive on the highway and check it during straight line acceleration. Also do a controlled emergency stop with hands off the wheel. It should stay in line.

Also check for bore scoring and tapping noises from engine.

If it checks out then I think you've got a deal on your hands.

Regards

L
Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Great price , but the price reflects an accident which looks like about 30% reduction . Get a PPI if it drives perfectly, if it passes the sniff test and you plan to keep the car long term you provably got yourself a decent deal ...
Old 05-13-2017, 11:59 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

Car appears cosmetically good. No wear on bolsters etc. If passes pi as suggested recommend buying only if done major service and all tires new or as new. Or all that done within last year. Otherwise you'll buy and quickly have 12-1400 service bill getting major service due to time and/or miles. If you want to keep long term that is.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Florian Boucher
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool flash, the car has actually been owned (not on sale at a dealer) just a little over a year between the accident and now according to CarFax. 16 months out of 6 years to be precise. That's rather low.

Redhot, I will request a PPI from Lemon squad on Monday. And yes, I want to keep the car for a few years. I believe 997s won't depreciate much more in the upcoming years.

Mano, good point, I will give the dealer a call to ask for the tires. Those rubbers can get expensive.

I guess we can close the topic, I will ask for a car inspect on Monday.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:12 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind that the car has been for sale for a long time. Probably due to the accident history. Looking down the road, when you decide to sell the car, expect to have the same issue.......no buyers until you reduce the price to make it really attractive. If you plan on keeping the car for 5-6 years, this is not a major concern. But, if you plan on keeping for 2 to 3 years, you'll have a problem selling it.

Quick Reply: First post - Your opinion on reasonably priced 997 Cabriolet