Sponsored by:

Dension 500BT location

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 PM
fpajonk
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dension 500BT location

Hi all, I just picked up a 2008 cab and I'm going through all the bluetooth threads here. The car has the Bose system with Nav but no CD changer.

I was under the impression that the Dension unit goes behind the PCM unit but some posts suggest that it can be linked into the fiber optic loop at the amplifier in the trunk.

Has anybody done this and if so how do you get the USB port and the microphone into the cabin?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I put it behind the pcm. There is more than enough room. Then have the IPod to the glovebox and microphone under the drivers feet, up the a pillar.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I installed my Dension behind the PCM in the center console too with the multi input connector in the glovebox. With my non-nav and non-CD changer car, I use the space in the frunk compartment where these would be to store a spare quart of oil, a plug repair kit, spare serpentine belt, and some other stuff.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 AM
fpajonk
Rennlist Member

That all makes sense. The picture I saw had the Dension unit on top of the Navi Drive though.

The reason I'm asking is because my car has no CD changer and the installation instruction say the car has to be reprogrammed by the dealership and that the unit has to be switched to bypass mode for every service or the car needs reprogramming. No big deal pulling out the 3 screws and doing that But it's a hassle and I will probably forget to do this.

BTW: can the multi input connect be easily fed into the glove box or does it require taking out the box and drilling holes?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpajonk
That all makes sense. The picture I saw had the Dension unit on top of the Navi Drive though.

The reason I'm asking is because my car has no CD changer and the installation instruction say the car has to be reprogrammed by the dealership and that the unit has to be switched to bypass mode for every service or the car needs reprogramming. No big deal pulling out the 3 screws and doing that But it's a hassle and I will probably forget to do this.

BTW: can the multi input connect be easily fed into the glove box or does it require taking out the box and drilling holes?
"easily fed" - not sure about that, but definitely doable without a lot of disassembly. What you need to be careful of is that you don't damage the microswitch that opens and closes with the glovebox while trying to feed the wire from the center console into it. I did during my install and it took me some digging to figure out why the car would beep every time I locked it after installing the Dension setup. I had twisted the metal portion of the switch when pulling the wire and it was no longer closing when the glove box closed. Although I did my install 4 or 5 years ago, I remember it being along the bottom left corner or side of the glovebox. I can post up pics of my multi-input assembly tomorrow.

I did not have to do any dealer programming to make my unit work with my car. For operation of it, watch the YouTube videos though as they're easier to understand than the printed instructions.

Mine works great though - on trips, I use Waze where the instructions come through the speakers as well as streaming Pandora and then phone calls interrupt the streaming and can be taken hands free - even the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel for answering and terminating a call work correctly.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's my glovebox setup. I didn't install the iPhone connector as we don't have any Apple devices. Auxiliary RCA inputs have an audio filter and patch cord so I can connect to anything with rca or headphone out jack. USB stick connector is there too for yet another input option.

I also created a little relief in the glovebox material in that top corner where the wiring comes up through. This let's it lay down better, doesn't get pinched, and allows the glovebox to close with normal force and not get distorted over time.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Best bet for the 500SBT with built in bluetooth is in the cabin. You can mount it to the firewall behind the glove box, or behind the PCM.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM
fpajonk
Rennlist Member

TNX for all the replies!
My first attempt failed. Couldn't get the PCM out because the screws would not release the locking latches.

I my second attempt I pushed the latches in witch a flat and it came out (is there a source for replacement screws?). Unit works out of the box (System has Nav, Bose. no CDC).

Connector is in the glove box. I removed the light and used the hole to feed the cables

Quick Reply: Dension 500BT location