Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts
Default Michelin Super Sport vs new 4S - my opinion

2009 C2S 112K miles

I just had a flat on the PA turnpike.. Smitty plug kit saved the day, P-Goo bottle didn't work, read about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Tires were about worn out so I put on new ones... Purchased the new 4S.

I had been driving on Michelin Super Sports and loved them... best tire I had on my Porsches..... Now I tried the 4S based on 'net opinions while the Super Sports are still available.

Overall opinion: I should have stuck with the Super Sports.

Why?: These 4S tires have mushier side walls and not as much snap as the Super Sports. Immediately driving from the tire shop on slow roads, I just thought the tire was greasy from the antiseize left on the tires... nope.... now with about 400 miles on them, they are still greasy feeling.

What is good?: They are better in the rain.... hard to say because the Super Sports were so worn, but going from memory, these 4S tires are pretty amazing in the rain.

Dry grip?: I can't tell a difference.

Noise?: I can't tell a difference.

Comfort?: They feel softer.

Life?: Get one, by a Porsche. The ratings on the tires are the same.

Others experience this or is this my active imagination? I have not read a bad opinion on this new tire so why am I such a deviant?

Full disclosure: I also installed the TPC/DSC PASM control module and it is a softer ride... but I did drive on the new tires for about 5 days without the module to formulate my opinion on local roads and highway.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

For 5 days you drove on mold release. Then you installed the DSC. That's not fully scientific 8)

I think the standard DSC settings are too soft, but life has been busy and I haven't downloaded the software to make changes yet.

Also, a smart friend introduced a term to me regarding the DSC ... The skyhook affect. The different settings and their affect, for a high mileage driver like yourself, may take a while to get used to. I know I'm still adapting.

Report back in a month.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:56 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:29 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have similar thoughts. Had the N2 PS2 before and since they are 2 generations older, i went with the new gen. The MPS4S seem a bit floatier at >50mph. Not enough of a problem for me to do anything about, but sudden moves now seem a bit vague.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

I am curious to hear Bruce's impressions a bit further on with these, a lot of Rennlisters seem to go against the N rated tires, for one reason or another, costs or they can't feel a difference, but unlike most cars, the N rated tires are very specific to this brand.

I am sure other manufacturers recommend specific tires, do they go to this length to get a specific rating?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was afraid this would happen. It follows general car development with being cushier even if performance is the same.

FWIW I perceived the PSS as a bit too cushy for my taste in the first place. I have a mind to give some cheaper tires a try (Hancook?) and write it off as cheap learnings if it doesn't work out.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:05 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a little surprised to hear these comments about the new 4S. If that's the case, I'm not sure what, if any, advantage they offer over the new Continental?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
I'm a little surprised to hear these comments about the new 4S. If that's the case, I'm not sure what, if any, advantage they offer over the new Continental?
The 4S is a new design but an evolution of the Super Sport. Does it offer less directional control? Not what I initially heard from people who tried it. The OP made two simultaneous changes - DSC module added to his PASM suspension and tire change. Which one contributed to his current perception? To judge Super Sport to 4S differences we need more samples from experienced drivers who made that single change.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I just came off a 3 day track weekend with the new 4S tires that replaced the MPSS. It rained all weekend except for 2 sessions. In the rain they are awesome......in the dry they still very good but they get a little noisy when pushing hard. All in all I think they are a good all around tire for the Summer just like the MPSS are / were.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Why?: These 4S tires have mushier side walls and not as much snap as the Super Sports. Immediately driving from the tire shop on slow roads, I just thought the tire was greasy from the antiseize left on the tires... nope.... now with about 400 miles on them, they are still greasy feeling.
Have you played with PSI? Add 1-2 PSI, and see if that helps the "mushier side walls" and "snap" response in cornering.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Have you played with PSI? Add 1-2 PSI, and see if that helps the "mushier side walls" and "snap" response in cornering.
No I haven't but that is a good idea. I will try that later this week or this weekend. I run 40 rear, 34 front cold as I did in my Super Sports.

These 4S are odd tires to me.... they are mushy but don't plough. Usually mushy means the tire rolls over... but that does not seem to happen.... pushed hard, the car just tracks nicely. It is like the snap is delayed.

I will also be removing my TPC/DSC shock module to compare the old with the new ride. As some have noted, this may be why I feel the 4S is greasy... not so.... I know the difference and drove the new tires on the Porsche system for 5 days for quite a few miles highway and slow roads..... they are just mushy. But I will re-confirm with the old module anyway.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be interested to read about the tread wear especially compared to MP SS. I use the MP SS as my daily tire around town and in the rain on the track (Nitto 01 normal track tire). I've enjoyed them a lot and have been extremely pleased with tread wear and rubber life.

I thought I read somewhere that the 4S may get an N designation in the future, but cannot seem to find that reference. Anyone else hear or read this? Really only just curious.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 678 Likes on 372 Posts

I think personally unless you had the same newness of each tire on the same type car and you were able to drive these back to back you would never feel a difference.

I had the SS and changed to these and couldn't tell a lick of difference and unless you are a pro racer in which you wouldn't use these and would be using SC2 or something else you can't tell.

Sorry. It is all placebo to the amateur.

If you like the SS buy the 4S with no issue at all.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM
TargaFirst
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Put brand new PS4's on the track this past weekend. Drove the wet line all day Saturday, and Sunday morning on the track through snowflurries- temperature at 3 degrees Celsius (38F). Sunday afternoon drove the dry line at 6 degrees Celsius (43F).
Here's my verdict on these tires.
Straight line braking over 190 km/hr on a wet track was perfect- no shimmy, slip, or slide. Transitions into and out of corners were sure footed- especially turn in on sharper corners- no shudder or shake. Given this was a cold, wet track, I felt the tires outperformed my expectations, and as a result, my confidence increased throughout the weekend as I drove longer in cold and wet conditions.
I did have a "moment" with these tires- entered a high speed corner (corner #8 at Mosport, for those of you who know it) and did induce a momentary loss of lateral grip. The car released with a very short, subtle shudder, but steering input still felt positive, and recovery was quick and decisive. I liked the way the tire reacted. I didn't much like how the tire released, with VERY little warning. However, given the PS4's are a SUMMER tire, and that tire temperature probably wasn't high, I'm not blaming Michelin.

Turn in at corners was how this tire shined. Wet or dry, tire reaction was predictable and repeatable, lap after lap. Very confidence inducing, especially in the cold and wet.

Power application was predicable, and I never had the feeling the car was in danger of losing grip under throttle application, especially in the infamous Corner #2.

Overall, I really liked the predictability of these tires, and to be honest, I was able to put grip and tire performance on the back burner and just drive the car to the best of my ability.

FYI, I started the tires at 32 psi cold, and they came off the track at around 36-37 psi.

Before leaving the track, I bumped them to 42 for the drive home.

Quiet tire on the freeway, which is nice. I did get the "floaty" sense a bit at high speeds with mid-30's PSI cold, but coming up on the PSI to 42 appeared to reduce that.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
For a second I couldn't figure out why you would go and buy a new car just because your tires were worn.
LOL...I thought the same thing!

Quick Reply: Michelin Super Sport vs new 4S - my opinion