Sponsored by:

Fister upgrade from Gundo? Plus Sharkwerks x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Fister upgrade from Gundo? Plus Sharkwerks x-pipe

My car has the Gundo mod currently, and sounds a bit tame. I was thinking of going the Fister route, and possibly adding the Sharkwerks X-pipe to it.

What can I expect if going from the Gundo to the Fister? Will that significantly change the sound, or should I skip that step and just add the X-pipe? The exhaust currently lacks the burbles and growls I hear in the 991 PSE exhausts, it sounds a bit muted in comparison.

Maybe the 997's just don't sound like 991's. I have the base 3.6 DFI.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Just go with the center muffler bypass. Fister is exactly the same as a very nicely welded Gundo.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:37 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^^^^^ I did the BB x pipe first and it was too tame. Added the gundo and wow, I get the B&G's as you say on the down shifts. I actually dont think I would want it any louder. I went to a friend who has the stock 997.2 and the difference is night and day.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
Just go with the center muffler bypass. Fister is exactly the same as a very nicely welded Gundo.
I second this.

Gundo = Fister. You need to add a center muffler bypass to wake up your gundo hack.

I have 2" gundo + fabspeed center muffler bypass on my 997.2 C2. It's not crazy loud, just the perfect flat-6 sound.

Last edited by ElectricChair; 04-28-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Gundo does not = Fister - same idea but entirely different - the add-on pipe connects different parts of the plumbing. First pic is Gundo, second pic is Fister.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Gundo does not = Fister - same idea but entirely different - the add-on pipe connects different parts of the plumbing. First pic is Gundo, second pic is Fister.
Below there's a pic of one my Fister mufflers before install (the shiny one), and the second one is a pic of the gundo. As far as I can tell, the typical gundo connects the exact same pipes at the exact same place than Fister. Only difference is that the Fister has a bit of a curve in the bypass pipe.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Gundo connects to the far side closed opening on the top of the muffler - similar to the way the Porsche PSE is plumbed. The plumbing shown in your second picture is referred to as "Fister" even though not done by Fister. It gets confusing since the terms "Gundo" and "Fister" tend to be used interchangeably when in fact they connect different areas of the muffler. I've been told that the "Gundo" sound is a little more mellow than the "Fister". Some folks have done both "Gundo" and "Fister" on the same muffler for a louder sound - not sure how it sounds though. I like the way my Fister exhaust sounds.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Gundo connects to the far side closed opening on the top of the muffler - similar to the way the Porsche PSE is plumbed. The plumbing shown in your second picture is referred to as "Fister" even though not done by Fister. It gets confusing since the terms "Gundo" and "Fister" tend to be used interchangeably when in fact they connect different areas of the muffler. I've been told that the "Gundo" sound is a little more mellow than the "Fister". Some folks have done both "Gundo" and "Fister" on the same muffler for a louder sound - not sure how it sounds though. I like the way my Fister exhaust sounds.
You are wrong!!! The Hanksville hack connects to the far side closed opening. Gundo is just a straight conector pipe...... look up what Gundo actually did to his muffler back in 2007

Here is his post
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-waste-of.html
Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default DFI engine

DFI engine is super quiet , it's hard to get that PSE exhaust sound on gundo alone. I did fabspeed air intake first which sounded ok, .added gundo few months later, sounded a bit louder but still thought there was something missing , just added BB center and springs , I pick up Saturday - I'll let you know how it sounds
Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

I've been wrong before (but without exclamation points) but I think the differences we're addressing are the names ascribed to the various hacks. The mufflers in the pic with the Fister decal are commonly called "Fister" I guess because Darren sells them and that's his last name. Any other modification not done by Fister has been called (rightly or wrongly) a "Gundo" hack. Since "Fister" has commercial application maybe to avoid confusion we should just call anything else a "Non-Fister" hack

Fister in the first pic, non-fister in the second.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

How about we call the cross pipe the Gundo Hack like everybody else and you can call it whatever you like.

To the OP, I had the Gundo Hack done a couple of years ago and liked it a lot. A few months ago I installed the Billy Boat crossover pipes and LOVE the new sound.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

The original "Gundo hack" thread from 2007 (by rennlist member Gundo - and this is the reason we call it Gundo hack) has all broken images now but I happened to save some of his photos when I did the gundo hack on my side mufflers.

btw. the original gundo hack had 2" straight pipes and Darin Fister uses 1.75" curved pipes.

Original "Gundo hack" thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-waste-of.html

Photos that I saved from his thread:

Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

.. and here is the original "Hanksville Hack":

Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Gundo + X-pipe = an incredible sounding machine. A nice, exotic wail from 3,000 RPM onward + plenty of crackling and burbles. I would almost mandate these mods as a must on these cars.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Then there is the Gundo Delux

Quick Reply: Fister upgrade from Gundo? Plus Sharkwerks x-pipe