PSE is a WASTE of $$

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PSE is a WASTE of $$

Okay, I cry uncle.

I had installed the Fabspeed bypass pipes on my 997S - they are just too loud - ear splitting volume under acceleration (in a cab) and had cops looking my way on a regular basis.

I had the real PSE on my Boxster S and loved it with Fabspeed cat bypass pipes - sounded perfect. Deep with no resonance.

I seriously considered dropping $1200 on ebay or $1750 at suncoast for the true 997 PSE. But just couldn't bring myself to part with hardearned clams when this hack is SOO easy and cheap.

Anyway, someone here had mentioned the dude on ebay selling hacked mufflers - I looked at his design and added to it - using 2" pipe sections rather than 1". Welding a 2" pipe between inlet and outlet pipes did the trick! Perfection!

It sounds completely awesome - sounds EXACTLY like the OEM PSE, maybe even a bit louder.

All this for $175 for 2 hours labor at the local muffler store. And please, no comments on the butt-ugly welds. Of course, the install takes all of 45 minutes by yourself with jackstands, maybe even ramps. Very easy.

Below are pics and link to the videos.

Link to my video with bypass pipes:http://picasaweb.google.com/BrendanG...67502265123538

Link to my video with PSE hack (dark, but you're only listening): http://picasaweb.google.com/BrendanG...57969431179810

Yikes - 21 lbs per side (far less than Fabspeed's claim of 55 lbs)

Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought a set of muffles to do the hack with the cross over pipe however can NOT get anyone in westchester NY to perform the modification for me. Tried several exhaust and garages, but all say it is too complicated???? Anyone got any suggestions
Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Arnzo
Intermediate

Links no worky....
Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saying PSE a waste of money by doing this hacking is like comparing apple to orange.

It is a loud exhaust, but it is not PSE.

No matter how we bapass it, it still doesn't have the meachanism on the PSE that can be switched On and Off from the driver seat, needless to say the extra value of 4yr/50K warranty if it came with the car.

With best regards,
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would love to see the horsepower/torque losses and at what ranges...

Just like on Harley-Davidson motorcycles - there is more than "sound" and an exahust is designed to an engine - changes affect the engine and the computer mapping - even with feedback sensors.

The important thing is you are happy - to claim PSE is a waste of money - that I would disagree with ya.

Congrats on your hack - remember - if you are happy that is all that matters!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

It's and old hot rod trick in trying to balance the pulse with a pipe between two exhaust routes. Normally done on the run off from the headers about half-way before the mufflers. It's supposed to balance the pulse of the gases.

Unknown if this works, but interesting to try none the less.

I'm happy with the PSE. Imagine if Tubi offered a "PSE" type system? Now that would be the best of both worlds.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deanski
Like this one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDMRATffcw

They make them for the Cayman and GT3 with a remote control
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't think you can classify PSE as 'a waste of money'. There will always be people who want to use Porsche parts and not aftermarket. I looked at PSE but for what I wanted aftermarket was a better choice. You can also do the 'hack'. That is an option as well. My point is different applications for different guys does not mean PSE is a waste of money.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:00 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

One can argue that spending $80K+ for a car is a waste of money.

No muffler by it self is going to increase performance. PSE's and aftermarket mufflers are bought solely for the aural satisfaction.

The intrinsic value of a PSE is: a) it's an OEM part, b) it emits a pleasing sound, c) the chromed offset tips are very nice and finally d) it can be controlled simply by throwing a switch.

To each it's own to coin a phase.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Gundo
Racer

Sorry if I overstated my enthusiasm - as I was perhaps being a bit sarcastic, which didn't come through in my post. PSE is expensive, factory, and warranteed. There is a certain piece of mind that is important.

As a bit of back-story, I spent a lot of time and money messing with exhausts on my Boxster S, and wound up with a PSE after a ton of muffler changes - nothing came close to the perfectly engineered Porsche part. I usually go OEM where possible.

This hack is fun, easy and cheap - especially compared to the incredibly inflated cost for a 997 PSE installed by the dealer (like $3,200 all in was my quote here in Fairfield, CT).

Compared side-by-side with PSE, this hack offers something that is a bit louder and more burbly, definitely deeper in tone. More satisifying to me, but the quest for the ultimate exhaust sound profile is indeed personal and highly subjective.

Running muffler bypass pipes is just not an option - though I highly recommend you all try it, as $300 is a cheap way to really, really, hear your car and blow the windows in on your neighbors homes!

Best of all, we're all passionate about these cars, sharing our enthusiasm in a variety of ways. Thanks for the positive comments. Much appreciated in light of the flaming that can sometime happen.

Gundo.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Deanski
Like this one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDMRATffcw

They make them for the Cayman and GT3 with a remote control
Now that's a way to endear your neighbors!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Why don't we just say in general that PORSCHES are a waste of money? I'm always seeing how people can justify to themselves spending tens of thousands of dollars on a Porsche and then kit picking Porsche's engineering work in various areas.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Idiot move in your own subdivision, IMHO.

"Yeah, it's the ******* in the yellow Porsche again, honey. Call the cops!"

Exhaust sound is interesting, but a bit loud for my tastes... :-)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Gundo
Racer

Porsches are a waste of money.

There, I said it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gundo
Porsches are a waste of money.

There, I said it.
Feel better, man? :-)

I'll agree, and raise you 10... now, I feel better, too. Doesn't mean I'm going to sell the car or anything like that, but I understand that admitting things like this is the first step to recovery?

Quick Reply: PSE is a WASTE of $$