Sponsored by:

Help: Pointers for flatbedding GTS PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:12 PM
13sinned
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Pointers for flatbedding GTS PDK

Background, last year I was having issues with Emergency transmission fail that pops up from time to time. I read that it might be the battery. But after changing the battery I had a new and additional issue of CEL which i never had on the first place. My obd reader said ithas 2 misfires.

I called Gunther of Fremont, and i was advised to bring the car in a flat bed. Are there any things i need to consider on flatbedding GTS PDK? I can still drive it except when the emergency transmission fail kicks in.

thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:15 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Nothing special. Anyone with a flat bed should be able to handle this
Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 13sinned
Background, last year I was having issues with Emergency transmission fail that pops up from time to time. I read that it might be the battery. But after changing the battery I had a new and additional issue of CEL which i never had on the first place. My obd reader said ithas 2 misfires.

I called Gunther of Fremont, and i was advised to bring the car in a flat bed. Are there any things i need to consider on flatbedding GTS PDK? I can still drive it except when the emergency transmission fail kicks in.

thanks!
Is your car under warranty? I'm asking since I had repeated emergency transmission events on my -09 C4S. Problem solved by turning off and restarting the car....until that last time when that didn't work. Flatbed to the dealer who called the next day and said the PDK will be replaced. Tab was $14,000 covered by extended warranty.

As for flat bedding, those who know what they're doing carry wood planks/ramps that are placed in front of the front wheels. Without that the front lip may suffer, especially on a lowered car.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Try to find a truck with an articulating bed. The trucks are usually lower with shorter tires too. Another bonus is the guys who operate these usually treat the cars with kid gloves.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 PM
13sinned
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. I found this helpful guide for towing Porsches:
http://members.rennlist.org/jandreas...owingGuide.pdf

Sandwedge,
Yes I have warranty from Fidelity. And also read your post about the failed PDK. At first it appeared out of the blue and never happened again in months. I also told Fremont about the issue but it was never replicated. Until it popped up again and more frequent than before. I opted for the easiest solution of changing battery but it somewhat open a can of worms with the misfires.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I found this helpful guide for towing Porsches:
http://members.rennlist.org/jandreas...owingGuide.pdf

Sandwedge,
Yes I have warranty from Fidelity. And also read your post about the failed PDK. At first it appeared out of the blue and never happened again in months. I also told Fremont about the issue but it was never replicated. Until it popped up again and more frequent than before. I opted for the easiest solution of changing battery but it somewhat open a can of worms with the misfires.

Thanks again!
had the same problem.
Sunset Porsche found out it was a bad Coil pack. Replaced under warranty - pdk is sensitive to voltage and why it was shooting error codes with the miss fire.
You might have the same thing! I had them do spark plugs at the same time since Porsche paid for the labor.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Interested in data regarding the car. How many miles on it? What model year? If you don't mind, of course.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:54 PM
13sinned
Advanced

snake eyes,
Thanks, crossing my finger it's just the coil pack. Btw did you your CEL light up when you had your emergency transmission error?

Fined,
No worries, 2011 GTS... around 35Kmi
Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Coils for me too

Something about the can bus between engine and trans sending out of parameter values that sends trans into limp mode

DId all the coils - no problem since.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

snake eyes,
Thanks, crossing my finger it's just the coil pack. Btw did you your CEL light up when you had your emergency transmission error?

Fined,
No worries, 2011 GTS... around 35Kmi
No
Here is a picture - I still had it saved on my phone- from two years ago when it happened (crazy still had the picture). I took it to show the service consultant because it went away as soon you shut the car off and turned it back on.
I shut the car down and had it towed immediately.
Name:  IMG_0856_zpspb1znho8.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  199.6 KB

Hope it is coil packs for you too!
no problem in two years - so totally fixed- Also just had the pdk serviced and it checked out just fine (got new software update) I like it some others don't shrug.

sad random fact I only have 29,XXX miles on the car now lol. But I driver like I stole her when I do.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:13 PM
13sinned
Advanced

SNP,
Thanks! that was my initial reaction when it went limp mode, there must be an underlying issue why it went limp mode. I just remember after few weeks when I had the transmission emergency run, I had PASM error. That's where I read there's possible voltage drop when those electronic critters appear.
Hoping just coil packs... I can't troubleshoot the coils for having center lock. I dont have the tools to remove my wheel.

Snake Eyes,
Thanks! I had the same white error too. That's why Iwas not too worried and tried diagnosing it myself. Yup, me too I tried driving her whenever I have a chance. But now she's just sitting in the garage the whole winter, except for quick runs until the error appears.

Heres the ECU Fault log:
P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0354: Ignition Coil "D" Primary/Secondary Circuit
P2311: Ignition Coil D Secondary Circuit
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

I have always said to check the battery first before having the dealer change the PDK.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:13 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Isn't this insane? Bad batteries and spark plugs causing transmission failures? This isn't technical progress, this is technical lunacy.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Isn't this insane? Bad batteries and spark plugs causing transmission failures? This isn't technical progress, this is technical lunacy.
The transmission and most systems in a modern car are controlled/surveyed by a computer; the computer needs a stable power supply; therefore the battery must be in good condition. I am not in favor of many nannies and gizmos in modern cars, but the need to maintain a battery in good condition makes sense to me.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I have always said to check the battery first before having the dealer change the PDK.
The battery in my car with the failed PDK was 2 months old and very strong. First thing the dealer checked and then it was checked again when the warranty rep showed up. I highly doubt a dealer would replace a PDK at the owner's expense without checking the battery unless you've given them a lot of good reasons to dislike you

Quick Reply: Help: Pointers for flatbedding GTS PDK