Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what to do about tires

Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Not sure what to do about tires

So I've had my car for 6 months and just realized I still have one original tire on the front (2009 C2S, 21,000 miles, tire dated 2008). The independent shop that did the ppi missed this as did the dealer. The other front is a 2012, the rears are dated 2015 and still have plenty of tread left. All tires are Pilot Sport PS2s. I knew Michelin made super sports and sport cups but was not familiar with the pilot sport ps2 tires. I had planned to get 4 new pilot sport 4S tires down the road when the rears wore out. Now I'm not sure what to do - maybe get 2 pilot sport ps2 fronts for now? I've not seen these discussed on rennlist, anyone familiar with ps2's? I really don't want to get 4 new pilot 4s tires now with rears still looking like new.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Gypsy8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about it, replace it when you replace the others if you have adequate tread depth. Besides, SC roads are terrible....keep as long as you can....lol.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:16 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

PS2's are porsche N-rated. This means they are certified by Porsche and were one of a few models that came installed on the car when it was built at the factory. MPSS's are not N-rated. The 4S is the newer replacement for the MPSS and also lacks the n-rating.

All three models of these Michelin tires are excellent street tires regardless of their rating. N-rated tires cost more than non N-rated tires. Personally I prefer the cheaper non N-rated Michelin tires for the street. Right now I'm running MPSS's and will switch to MP4S's when they are due for replacement. MPSS's are a pretty popular tire here on rennlist. I expect the MP4S to become very popular too.

The issue you have is age. A nine year old tire is a concern. If you track your car at all I'd put new rubber on the front axle right away at a minimum. More likely I'd swap all four to matching models. But if you only street your car you could probably stretch the lifetime a bit more in front. Some are cautious and would change them now though. Me, I'd probably continue to drive on them for a few more months until I was ready to swap tires due to wear, not age. But I wouldn't go more than say the summer time frame because of age. For street use only swapping out the fronts to 4S's while keeping the rears at PS2's shouldn't be a concern. Again, for street use though.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'd recommend replacing both front tires. If you can still source them (PS2s). One is 9 years old. The other is 5 years old. That's nucking futty.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

You really need to replace that 2008 tire due to age. Porsche advises changing tires (regardless of tread wear) after 6 years (tire rot/ cracking may not by easily visible and can vary depending on climate, storage, etc). If it were me, I'd replace both front tires with new PS2s...to pair them up with your existing relatively new PS2s in the rear...then you'll be good to go!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I had planned to do my first HPDE this spring and I doubt I would do more than 1 or 2 per year. Not going to attempt that on a 9 year old tire. I guess I just assumed the mpss and the 4Ss were N rated. Maybe for now I'll get two new PS2s to buy some time (even though PS2s are the most expensive Michelins on Tire Rack) and re-evaluate when the rears need replacing.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Tiger
Thanks for the replies. I had planned to do my first HPDE this spring and I doubt I would do more than 1 or 2 per year. Not going to attempt that on a 9 year old tire. I guess I just assumed the mpss and the 4Ss were N rated. Maybe for now I'll get two new PS2s to buy some time (even though PS2s are the most expensive Michelins on Tire Rack) and re-evaluate when the rears need replacing.
Good decision. Here's what happens with a perfectly maintained tire (always proper pressure, no repairs, etc) when it gets too old - this one at 80 MPH with the whole family in the car on vacation, and these aren't under racetrack loads or speed conditions.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know tires are date stamped (at least Michelin). Checking mine now...
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,125 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Good to know tires are date stamped (at least Michelin). Checking mine now...
All of them are.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I actually need two rear PS2s. Just found a nail in one. I would buy your rears to fund your new MPS4S. If this interests you PM me and we'll figure something out.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

If you purchased your tires from Tire Rack, check out their road hazard warranty policy. I recently found a nail in both of my rear tires and after filing a claim....they sent me two new replacement tires (same type) for "free".
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I actually need two rear PS2s. Just found a nail in one. I would buy your rears to fund your new MPS4S. If this interests you PM me and we'll figure something out.
96Tiger,

If you were to just replace your fronts right now, you will be faced with a dilemma in a year when you need to replace the rears, and no matching PS2s are available - you will either need to go with a mismatched set, or liquidate your just-replaced fronts. Additionally, as tires are exposed to sun and ozone and stuff, they lose their grip. With new PS2s in the front, you may end up with more grip in the front and (relatively) less in the rear, inducing oversteer. Then again, you may want this!

I'd definitely pursue a discussion with nwGTS - if he's willing to give you a decent price for your rear PS2s, doing this and replacing all four tires iwtha matching set would be your best bet. This way, you'll both have a model & age matching tire front and rear.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to me as well. I bought an 09 in 2015 under CPO. The dealership actually replaced the rears before they put it up for sale though did not replace the fronts. I realized this 6 months after I had the car as it still had the original tires with a date of 08 on them.

I spoke to my local dealership Sales Manager (not the same dealership I bought from) and they stated they would never would have let this happen and he offered to contact the original dealership and work something out. I also called the dealership where I purchased the car and politely informed them of what was going on. They gave me a little bit of run around and I was persistent by telling them what my local Sales Manager had said and also let them know I did not want to have to involve PCNA. They did finally yield and agreed to replace my fronts on their dime.

They worked out a deal where they would pay for my local dealership to put on new and matching tires on my fronts.

Its your call on how far you want to press this or want to pay out of pocket, though the CPO criteria is also very clear on age of tire and this is also very clearly stated in the owner's manual. So you do have documentation to back you up.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
96Tiger,

If you were to just replace your fronts right now, you will be faced with a dilemma in a year when you need to replace the rears, and no matching PS2s are available - you will either need to go with a mismatched set, or liquidate your just-replaced fronts. Additionally, as tires are exposed to sun and ozone and stuff, they lose their grip. With new PS2s in the front, you may end up with more grip in the front and (relatively) less in the rear, inducing oversteer. Then again, you may want this!

I'd definitely pursue a discussion with nwGTS - if he's willing to give you a decent price for your rear PS2s, doing this and replacing all four tires iwtha matching set would be your best bet. This way, you'll both have a model & age matching tire front and rear.
I never heard from him/her so I picked up a set locally this AM. Gotta move quickly!
Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Get four new tires.
Toss the front's. They are garbage.
Sell the old rears. You have a sale above, and you will find others.
There is nothing like new fresh shoes.
If you really are doing a DE day? Fresh shoes will give you the predictability you will appreciate.
New/slightly old, could foul you up on you DE day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not sure what to do about tires