Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:33 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Get four new tires.
Toss the front's. They are garbage.
Sell the old rears. You have a sale above, and you will find others.
There is nothing like new fresh shoes.
If you really are doing a DE day? Fresh shoes will give you the predictability you will appreciate.
New/slightly old, could foul you up on you DE day.
Agreed. With the rears wearing out more quickly they shouldn't be too hard to sell.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:19 AM
dctc42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't know what to do about tires but have a slightly different problem. Apologies in advance for hijacking the thread :-)

I live in Seattle and we don't see a lot of snow but.... Driving in about 1/4 inch of snow this past November my MPSPS2 lost almost all traction (like a hockey puck in ice) and I hit a curb. I daily drive my 997 4S so I really want to find a good option for next winter. Tire rack only has one option and it's expensive. Have folks in this forum found other options besides Pirelli Sottozero?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:28 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dctc42
I also don't know what to do about tires but have a slightly different problem. Apologies in advance for hijacking the thread :-)

I live in Seattle and we don't see a lot of snow but.... Driving in about 1/4 inch of snow this past November my MPSPS2 lost almost all traction (like a hockey puck in ice) and I hit a curb. I daily drive my 997 4S so I really want to find a good option for next winter. Tire rack only has one option and it's expensive. Have folks in this forum found other options besides Pirelli Sottozero?
Local in seattle as well. I run summer tires 9 months out of the year, then swap over to Sottozeros that I have on another mounted set of wheels. You could easily get by on summers most years but not if you go over the mountain.

Tire socks aren't made in our size and chains seem overkill but Les Schwab has them for $150 for our cars. I found summer tires and the Sottozeros to be a good compromise as the Sottozeros aren't dedicated winter tires and thus can be driven during our rainy winter. Using winter tires like Blizzaks when its not cold out can ruin them.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 AM
dctc42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Kellen! I do like the Sottozeros but was hopping to find a more affordable winter tire. I guess if I only use them 3 months out of the year they should last many winters.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dctc42
Thanks for the info Kellen! I do like the Sottozeros but was hopping to find a more affordable winter tire. I guess if I only use them 3 months out of the year they should last many winters.
Can always try 18" wheels and snows from the non s models. Will save you some money. Keep checking the forums, people will be selling snow tires and you can pick them up here cheaper.

Quick Reply: Not sure what to do about tires