Sponsored by:

insurance question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 PM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default insurance question?

i posted this here because everyone in this forum has a similar year and make as mine. i currently have AAA insurance. i pay for it 6 months and then put it in storage for 6 months. my question is, what (if any) are other insurance options? putting it in storage pretty much eliminates me from being able to drive it on a nice winter day, which we have once in a while in michigan lol.. i rarely drive the car to begin with. pretty much only on the weekends if its nice out. i dont think its old enough to get classic car insurance and i didnt buy it as an investment. i would like to have an "agreed value" on it though, as i have put alot (to me) of money into it. just wondering if anybody had any suggestions or advice on this. thanks, tom
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Pretty sure grundy does agreed value on newer cars.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have another vehicle you daily and keep that Porsche in a garage Grundy is worth considering - I used them for my 05 997S this year with agreed upon value at 43k
Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 AM
GTS997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used American Modern for several years on a couple of different cars. Certain restrictions apply but works great for the situation you have described.

https://www.amig.com/
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

In the past I had the LeylandWest limited use auto policy but after comparing the pricing of that policy and my Liberty Mutual policy, the annual savings were less then $150 and I was limited to how I can use the car (if you want to comply with the rules).

I am giving up Agreed Value using Liberty Mutual but not sure that is enough of a difference to sway me.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM
TOPGUN8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Answer

I also live in Michigan and with my insurance I can drive it any time I wish on that nice dry Winter day. My insurance is with Westgate Insurance Agency and Todd Mierzwiak is the President. Todd also races a GT3 and is very knowledgeable about insurance and has several members of our Region insured. I was with AAA for 50 years and when Todd spoke to our group, I met with him and he told me things that AAA never mentioned. I suggest you contact Todd at 419-283-5593. He provided me more insurance on my three cars, home, and umbrella policy for less money than AAA and the service is great.

George

Last edited by TOPGUN8; 03-28-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Left out some information
Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Most insurance company will have a recreation vehicle category which is your vehicle will see less than 5K miles a year. It's much cheaper than a daily driver. If anything happens while parked, it's still covered.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my 997.1 insured with Hagerty.

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/classic-car-insurance

They previously insured my 63 Impala. You must have an insured DD other than the car they are insuring, though. Agreed value and miles per year you want to drive. I have 0 deductible for damage, fire, and theft.

They were great to work with when I hit a flock of doves on the highway with my 63 (stupid sky rats....). They allowed me to get an estimate from any repair shop and parts supplier I wanted, and I had my check within a week of submitting my estimate.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPGUN8
I also live in Michigan and with my insurance I can drive it any time I wish on that nice dry Winter day. My insurance is with Westgate Insurance Agency and Todd Mierzwiak is the President. Todd also races a GT3 and is very knowledgeable about insurance and has several members of our Region insured. I was with AAA for 50 years and when Todd spoke to our group, I met with him and he told me things that AAA never mentioned. I suggest you contact Todd at 419-283-5593. He provided me more insurance on my three cars, home, and umbrella policy for less money than AAA and the service is great.

George

i will give him a call when i have a chance..

i have 3 other vehicles and my homeowners with AAA.

thanks everyone for the replies
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I switched my P car from Geico (where I have two other cars) to Metromile and it's much, much less expensive for the mileage I'm doing, $35-40/mo with the coverages maxed out. No claims so far, fingers crossed, so haven't tested that end of it yet - and hopefully not ever!

Quick Reply: insurance question?