Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions monitors not ready

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Just to clarify when he said force system readiness, I think what he really meant was force those tests to be run. The final value of readiness will still depend on the results of those tests. i.e,. if a test fails, the readiness will still be unset. The dealer has no way to override those tests and just set all readiness to "READY/PASS" AKAIK.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Just to clarify when he said force system readiness, I think what he really meant was force those tests to be run. The final value of readiness will still depend on the results of those tests. i.e,. if a test fails, the readiness will still be unset. The dealer has no way to override those tests and just set all readiness to "READY/PASS" AKAIK.
Yes, that is correct. That's how I understood it.

Another thing that I was thinking is that perhaps the car has an aftermarket tune. I wonder if there is a way to check for that?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:53 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I think on some tunes, you can turn off the readiness flags. Of course thats not legal though. I think some tuners have got in trouble over it. I've not heard about in for Porsches, but other brands.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Have you tried activating the SAI pump with Durametric (under DME/Activation)?

You can use Durametric to display the O2 sensor voltage at cold star (under DME/Actual values). The precat should start at 0.44v and within 10-15s it should taper to ~0v. The post-cat will be lagging behind the preact reading for about 2+ min.

If the pre-cat readings don't go to a very low value, the fresh air is not there or not detected.
I activated the SAI pump via Durametric and it came on as expected.

On the O2 sensor voltage I'm confused. I assume I am looking at Actual values in Duramertic. The only value I see is -50.XX with very little fluctuation. Obviously something isn't right.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Antonio; 04-02-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when you activate the SAI it injects air into the exhaust and you should see the 02 [primary ones] go lean [lower voltage] ....i do not know the spec of how lean but the ECM will pop a CEL if it is out of spec . SAI is how the car checks the primary health of the 02 sensor .......rear 02 sensor check the cats .
Old 04-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
when you activate the SAI it injects air into the exhaust and you should see the 02 [primary ones] go lean [lower voltage] ....i do not know the spec of how lean but the ECM will pop a CEL if it is out of spec . SAI is how the car checks the primary health of the 02 sensor .......rear 02 sensor check the cats .
That's my understanding as well. According to Ahsai the O2 voltage should start at .44V cold and go down to ~0V. Mine is giving me a strange reading. BTW there is no CEL or any fault codes.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:24 PM
extanker
Banned

i am not familiar with durametric and yes they look weird....in my day it was a snap on scan tool which had a very high sample rate for 02 monitoring it had a specific test for the sai . some cars required i monitor them with a lab scope . iirc this car has been "not ready" for quite awhile did you find out if it has a tune /any chance it has 02 simulators in place ....it would seem it has been long enough for them to be ready
Old 04-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Antonio
I activated the SAI pump via Durametric and it came on as expected.

On the O2 sensor voltage I'm confused. I assume I am looking at Actual values in Duramertic. The only value I see is -50.XX with very little fluctuation. Obviously something isn't right.
That is strange. Maybe 997.1 use wideband o2 sensors? But even that, not sure why its ~50v. May want to check with Durametric and see what they say.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Thank you Ahsai. I will call Durametric in the morning. My fear is that since no CEL and no fault codes something is going on in the ECU. Maybe an aftermarket flash? I'm seeing the dealer on Thursday and I will post update afterwards.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I see no way it could read -50v and still be operational. Far as I know zero should be as low as it goes. Nothing on s 997 should ever read -50V. That should be impossible.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

I'd like to give an update on the issue. The issue being that the SAI and the O2 sensors not getting into Ready state for emissions testing after the battery was disconnected. This was after over 1000 miles and multiple drive cycles.

I just got back from the dealer. According to the tech who work on the car the O2 sensors were set to Ready by just running diagnostics. The SAI required an additional short drive. The car passed NYS emissions with no problem. The tech said that he sees this from time to time but he doesn't know what's causing it. I'm good for another year.

The Durametric O2 voltage reading (-50.XX volts!) really confused me. I called Durametric tech support and they had no explanation but they asked me to send them the log file. Since the dealer ran factory diagnostics and found nothing wrong I suspect there is a bug in the Durametric software.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM
extanker
Banned

good that it is fixed ....that is what counts
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I just want to make sure since I don't see this explicitly posted. These sensor readings start out as not-ready every time you start the car. Are you checking the readings before the car is fully hot? I assume you are doing this correctly, but sometimes "assumptions" aren't correct so I thought I'd make sure.

So before the test, drive the car until it is fully hot and once the sensors report ready, go straight to the smog tester and don't turn off the car until he is ready to actually do the test. For you, only check the readings while the car is still running after it is fully hot.

Please pardon me if I'm guessing what the problem is here incorrectly.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Antonio
I'd like to give an update on the issue. The issue being that the SAI and the O2 sensors not getting into Ready state for emissions testing after the battery was disconnected. This was after over 1000 miles and multiple drive cycles.

I just got back from the dealer. According to the tech who work on the car the O2 sensors were set to Ready by just running diagnostics. The SAI required an additional short drive. The car passed NYS emissions with no problem. The tech said that he sees this from time to time but he doesn't know what's causing it. I'm good for another year.

The Durametric O2 voltage reading (-50.XX volts!) really confused me. I called Durametric tech support and they had no explanation but they asked me to send them the log file. Since the dealer ran factory diagnostics and found nothing wrong I suspect there is a bug in the Durametric software.
Glad you got it sorted. My guess is s/w bugs.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

This Readiness issue is an FAQ. There must be a trick we are missing ?
Some say you have to do a lengthy and impractical Drive Cycle. Others succeeded with a much shorter/easier drive cycle.
When the Porsche Dealer received the car with say 2 miles on it off the transporter from the dock/factory, how were all the Readiness Monitors set to "Pass" ? I ask because otherwise the new owner would have a CEL soon after they drove off the lot with this new car ! Why ? - because it had no Drive Cycle and if the Readiness codes were cleared with PIWIS , they would just pop up again after 3 starts .
Maybe there is a Porsche-Dealer-secret hack to suppress/delay the CEL for Readiness Monitors ?

Quick Reply: Emissions monitors not ready