997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions monitors not ready

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017 | 06:43 PM
extanker
Banned

as for new cars there is/was a timed system programmed into the ECM [GM ] ....iirc "cell expired" when you interrogated a new car for performance/emissions ....it did not say what was controlled just cell was expired and the car was street/US legal now. readiness wants to see a large difference in driving....eg idling w/load,wot,cruise,decel ....if you just putt around it will take days n miles
Old 08-31-2017 | 04:04 PM
jasile
Advanced

Default Drive cycle works.

I recently replaced an O2 sensor so had to disconnect the battery. I tried to get a NC inspection twice before with a NOT READY error both times. The 3rd time I followed the below drive cycle as closely as possible with 1/2 tank of gas. I think what you should keep in mind for each different part of the drive cycle is that each time should say "at least". By that I mean it is nearly impossible to find a road where you can do exactly what the drive cycle says. For instance, in my successful attempt I drove nearly 20 minutes at 40-60 mph while not exceeding 3000 rpm. Then I sat for just over 5 min in idle. From there I drove some more before getting to the inspection station. Worked like a charm.

Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Then:

Idle in Neutral for 5 mins. (manual trans.)

Idle in Drive for 5 mins. (Tiptronic trans.)

During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph.
Old 06-02-2020 | 08:17 PM
mensoruben
5th Gear

Default wont set monitors

everyone is missing it. When the secondary air is the monitor not setting this is how it works, ( read the last paragraph) I have a Pewis tester both models but I'm pretty sure if you have any tester it may work but with my models it works every time, you have to set the monitors up to the engine load one that requires you to drive for 30 seconds then let idle for 30 seconds, you have to drive it dont do it standing still the second it passes you need to get out of it as fast as you can and go to the next monitor which is the secondary air, if the secondary air sets then great all done but if it doesn't then you need to drive it at normal speeds for a few minutes then go back into the secondary air and let it run then it will pass, if for any reason you mess this up then just repeat the whole thing again starting form the first monitor, you cant keep going after the secondary air is giving you problems if it doesn't set start form the beginning again dont keep going.
when you get to the last test just turn the key off but dont pull it out this one takes like ten minutes

5th gen Porsche mechanic
Old 07-02-2020 | 05:45 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

With the durametric, do the readiness monitors give their status with the engine not running after initial connection? Or does the motor have to be running?
Old 07-02-2020 | 09:14 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

The engine is always running whenever I use Durametric.

Quick Reply: Emissions monitors not ready