Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone explain how the Scavenger Pumps are set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Can someone explain how the Scavenger Pumps are set up?

I have 997.1 S and am trying to understand how the scavenger pump system works. I'm getting oil pressure drops in right handed sweepers and have heard it's due to the way the scavenger pumps return oil to the sump. Left handed sweepers are not an issue.

Is there one pump per head?
Is the right side on the rear, left side up front?

What's the purpose of the Bilt LN Engineering Dual Scavenger Pumps?

Why does RPM effect the pressure when combined with G Forces one direction and not the other?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The tandem pump (oil scavenge and vacuum pump) is in the rear right, lower side. I'm pretty sure there is another scavenge pump only in the front left. Not sure why the turn direction matters?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I believe it's because on a right sweeper under load, the oil pools at the back of the head. On the left side, the pump is in the front so it's unable to return the oil. On a Left sweeper, the oil is directed to the rear right corner where the pump is located.

I think the LN Dual pumps taps into the opposite side as well allowing for fluid transfer from both front and rear at the same time but I can't find much info.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The scavenge pumps pull oil from the upper head area and delivers it back to the sump, the pressure pump pulls oil from the sump and delivers pressurized oil to the bearings. The scavenge pump does not deliver oil to the bearings.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (10-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Correct.

Originally Posted by Wolfk
The scavenge pumps pull oil from the upper head area and delivers it back to the sump, the pressure pump pulls oil from the sump and delivers pressurized oil to the bearings. The scavenge pump does not deliver oil to the bearings.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I believe it's because on a right sweeper under load, the oil pools at the back of the head. On the left side, the pump is in the front so it's unable to return the oil. On a Left sweeper, the oil is directed to the rear right corner where the pump is located.
I wonder if this contributes to what sounds to me as lifter tap after I come off an auto-x course. The best I can tell is one or two of my lifters around the left rear (bank 1 cyl 1?) starts ticking only after I come off course and into grid. The noise goes away if I give it a few revs and build up oil pressure. Never happens on the street, only during extreme maneuvers associated with auto-x. I switched to 5W-50 and it helped a little but not completely. I've heard other Carreras make the same noise when they come off course so I know it's not just me. I've always assumed it was lack of oil pressure at some point during the auto-x runs keeping the hydraulic tappets from staying pressurized...or maybe I'm just completely wrong about the whole operation of things.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I would imagine it's related. The pump is sucking any available oil away right near #1 as it's pooled up around #3. Next time you're having fun, even on a freeway on or off ramp that you can carry enough speed through and you can see the pressure start to drop.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Would a deep sump pan help with this? I'm thinking the increased capacity would act as an oil reserve during high G turns, and the reserve would be near the main oil pickup.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I have a deep sump and it's still a problem. I suppose an Accusump would compensate until the reservoir runs out.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

I have a deep sump and it's still a problem. I suppose an Accusump would compensate until the reservoir runs out.
How big of a deep sump did you go with?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Mantis 1.2 Liter
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Mantis 1.2 Liter
I'm surprised to hear this. See post #8 in this thread for oil pressure vs lateral G load data with the Mantis pan. Maybe the graph Ernie posted was with his 2L pan rather than the 1.2L pan? Have you reached out to Ernie?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
I wonder if this contributes to what sounds to me as lifter tap after I come off an auto-x course. The best I can tell is one or two of my lifters around the left rear (bank 1 cyl 1?) starts ticking only after I come off course and into grid. The noise goes away if I give it a few revs and build up oil pressure. Never happens on the street, only during extreme maneuvers associated with auto-x. I switched to 5W-50 and it helped a little but not completely. I've heard other Carreras make the same noise when they come off course so I know it's not just me. I've always assumed it was lack of oil pressure at some point during the auto-x runs keeping the hydraulic tappets from staying pressurized...or maybe I'm just completely wrong about the whole operation of things.
Lifter noise after (or even during) a track session is due to air in the oil. This aerated oil gets pumped through the engine and the lifters due not like air as the air collapses and the lifter tick.

Afterwards, it takes some engine run time for the lifters to lose this aerated oil.

This aerated oil problem is rather common with other engines. Often dyno tests will find power falls off at high RPMs. Investigation finds the problem is the engine is circulating so much oil and too much oil is remaining in suspension due to inadequate oil scavenging (inadequate or in some cases nonexistent as gravity is relied upon to return oil to the sump) coupled with too small an oil supply and lousy pan baffling and insufficient (or nonexistent) defoaming capacity aerated oil is being circulated through the engine and when the lifters get this oil they collapse a bit and this affects valve timing and lift and as a result engine performance falls off.

If your engine is experiencing this aerated oil and it reads like it is you need to seriously consider a deeper and better baffled oil sump. Be sure also you use fresh oil at the track. Oil with miles on it is more likely to foam due to contamination from combustion.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by idlook2
I'm surprised to hear this. See post #8 in this thread for oil pressure vs lateral G load data with the Mantis pan. Maybe the graph Ernie posted was with his 2L pan rather than the 1.2L pan? Have you reached out to Ernie?
That's why I installed one in the first place. I hadn't talked to Ernie. I just sent him an email.

My mechanic is urging me to install an accusump system to bridge the gap but I'm trying to avoid making things more complicated than they already are.

-Mark
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Lifter noise after (or even during) a track session is due to air in the oil. This aerated oil gets pumped through the engine and the lifters due not like air as the air collapses and the lifter tick.

Afterwards, it takes some engine run time for the lifters to lose this aerated oil.

This aerated oil problem is rather common with other engines. Often dyno tests will find power falls off at high RPMs. Investigation finds the problem is the engine is circulating so much oil and too much oil is remaining in suspension due to inadequate oil scavenging (inadequate or in some cases nonexistent as gravity is relied upon to return oil to the sump) coupled with too small an oil supply and lousy pan baffling and insufficient (or nonexistent) defoaming capacity aerated oil is being circulated through the engine and when the lifters get this oil they collapse a bit and this affects valve timing and lift and as a result engine performance falls off.

If your engine is experiencing this aerated oil and it reads like it is you need to seriously consider a deeper and better baffled oil sump. Be sure also you use fresh oil at the track. Oil with miles on it is more likely to foam due to contamination from combustion.
Thanks. Good to know.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain how the Scavenger Pumps are set up?