Sponsored by:

Ln Engineering 2QT deep sump

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:23 AM
John997s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ln Engineering 2QT deep sump

Id anyone running the LN Engineering 2QT deep sump? Just got my cup2 tires and om going to change to a deep sump now. Seams like the LN or the Mantis is the way to go but I like that the LN have the X51 baffles. So does anyone have a opinion and can help me?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Ernie J
Pro

The stock baffle reused offers less leakage at the trap doors.also the oil dams in the Mantis sump help direct oil to the oil pick up. Plus the wind age tray prevent oil from climbing the walls of the block.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 AM
John997s
Track Day

Ok. So everyone seams to like the Mantis better. But if you live in Europe, where do I buy it?
Old 08-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,074 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by John997s
Id anyone running the LN Engineering 2QT deep sump? Just got my cup2 tires and om going to change to a deep sump now. Seams like the LN or the Mantis is the way to go but I like that the LN have the X51 baffles. So does anyone have a opinion and can help me?
The LN deep sump also offers an anti-slosh tray to keep the extra 2 quarts in the sump. The Racers Edge ran an early version in a pro-series and the data they collected of the LN 2 quart kit vs. the stock pan and x51 baffle showed the deep sump when coupled with a proper race oil resolves all M96/M97 oiling issues. This has been backed up time and time again by customer feedback.

For those concerned about sump protection, a stainless sump guard that does no attach to the engine provides true protection for lowered cars with deep sumps on the street. I ran over a dead coyote and the whole back end of my car was lifted off the ground. No damage to the sump. Can't say the same for the remains of the coyote.

Fast Forward Automotive KG handles the complete LN line in Europe as does Euro Car Parts in the UK.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,189 Likes on 3,946 Posts

Charles,

Does the stainless sump guard only work with the LN deep sump, or will it work with the MantisSport deep sump I have on my 997 too? How is it attached, and can you post any pics.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Charles

Question for you

would you recommend these guys to do the install of the deep sump

http://continentalimports.com/

they are somewhat close to me - I live in the Daytona Beach area and found them through your website ?

also do you have an approx. cost for this install ? and do you know if they keep these in stock or would I have to purchase these from you directly.

thank you for taking the time to read this

I look forward to your reply or a IM here

thanks

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The LN deep sump also offers an anti-slosh tray to keep the extra 2 quarts in the sump. The Racers Edge ran an early version in a pro-series and the data they collected of the LN 2 quart kit vs. the stock pan and x51 baffle showed the deep sump when coupled with a proper race oil resolves all M96/M97 oiling issues. This has been backed up time and time again by customer feedback.

For those concerned about sump protection, a stainless sump guard that does no attach to the engine provides true protection for lowered cars with deep sumps on the street. I ran over a dead coyote and the whole back end of my car was lifted off the ground. No damage to the sump. Can't say the same for the remains of the coyote.

Fast Forward Automotive KG handles the complete LN line in Europe as does Euro Car Parts in the UK.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Labor time shouldn't be much more than an hour over a typical oil change for the install.

The skid plate should work with any deep sump kit or pan as long as the drain plug is in the exact stock location. Otherwise, it's just a simple task of removing the pan to access the drain plug for ease of service.

Any competent shop that works on Porsche vehicles should be proficient enough to install a deep sump kit. The biggest novice error is using too much sealant on the pan and having it squeeze into the sump, potentially plugging the oil pick up.
The following users liked this post:
Targaone1 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Ernie J
Pro

The GT3 baffle cannot be made to fit the Mantis sump extension. The mantis sump extension is 5/8 thinner tahn LN one as it does not use the stock bottom plate. Its 1 pc, with oil dams built in the sump. I wil post our oil pressure data from our PWC cayman for the Toronto Indy race, this data has been posted before on Rennlist. We have done CFD studies at the university which we do our windtunnel testing, as the the oil dam location.
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Labor time shouldn't be much more than an hour over a typical oil change for the install.

The skid plate should work with any deep sump kit or pan as long as the drain plug is in the exact stock location. Otherwise, it's just a simple task of removing the pan to access the drain plug for ease of service.

Any competent shop that works on Porsche vehicles should be proficient enough to install a deep sump kit. The biggest novice error is using too much sealant on the pan and having it squeeze into the sump, potentially plugging the oil pick up.
thank you
Old 08-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Charles. Just placed my order for one of the stainless 911 skid plates.

Pete

Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
I live in the Daytona Beach area and found them through your website ?
Louis, have you ever tried BGB Motorsports there in Daytona? They have a lot of experience with our cars. Website is:
www.teambgb.com

Owner is John Tecce. Phone (386) 265-1979.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Running stock oil pan on street tires and 0W-40 for the occasional track day should be OK, right?

I'd considered the .5qt extension withe the X51 baffle, but for my limited track use (2-3 times/yr) any upgrade seemed overkill. Is this a correct assumption, or is it worth the upgrade...even if it's only switching to Motul or Gibbs oil?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Louis, have you ever tried BGB Motorsports there in Daytona? They have a lot of experience with our cars. Website is:
www.teambgb.com

Owner is John Tecce. Phone (386) 265-1979.
no I had no clue about this Company.

I just had my Oil change done at the Dealership in Mebourne.

BGB is very close to me - about 30 minutes from where I live.

I will give them a try next time when I need a oil change. I have some other plans from my car 3rd Radiator / different front and rear bumper.

thanks for pointing me to them - much appreciated
Old 08-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jglaze
Running stock oil pan on street tires and 0W-40 for the occasional track day should be OK, right?

I'd considered the .5qt extension withe the X51 baffle, but for my limited track use (2-3 times/yr) any upgrade seemed overkill. Is this a correct assumption, or is it worth the upgrade...even if it's only switching to Motul or Gibbs oil?
Street tires will limit the Gs you can pull. Usually my rule of thumb is the .5 qt kit, even with stock baffle, is good for N-spec tires. I'd certainly recommend switching to a 5w40 - Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 at the bare minimum. DT40 would be better, but if you are actually tracking the car, a race oil is always best. We run XP9 pretty much exclusively in all the cars in the shop.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just following-up in this thread since I installed Charles' stainless skid plate today. Spent a little time polishing the stainless, then did a coating of Sharkhide to keep it looking like this for years. Because of the way my Fabspeed exhaust is mounted the nuts that hold the exhaust support plate won't come all the way off so I made the rear mounting slots go all the way to the top so I could just slip it in behind the nuts and then tighten them down.

For anyone wondering, the oil filter and drain plug openings in the MantisSport deep sump line up perfectly with the LN Engineering skid plate. The plate itself is a substantial piece that should actually provide some protection, unlike the thin aluminum OEM unit. Once bolted in, it's rock solid and the mounting holes line up perfectly as well. Even though I positioned the plate about 1/8" from the skid plate, I added a couple silicone pads at the front edge just to prevent any possible contact, noise, or vibration under load or from motor torque or movement, since the front mounts go to the chassis and the rear mounts go to the engine.

Here are a few pics. I'll be swapping the quick drain valve in these pics for one of Charles' magnetic plugs at my next oil change to prevent the possibility of anything knocking it off and losing the oil, but since it has been in there for 20,000 miles without any issues, another 3,000 shouldn't hurt (fingers crossed and knocking on wood).

Anyway, a very nice piece from Charles at LN Engineering. Thanks.

From rear

Side profile - note clearance

Bottom angle

Oil filter and drain plug access holes perfectly placed

Originally Posted by Petza914
Thanks Charles. Just placed my order for one of the stainless 911 skid plates.

Pete

Quick Reply: Ln Engineering 2QT deep sump