Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With all due respect to the last poster,

I don't find this acceptable from a Porsche Dealer. If Porsche of Austin thinks they can act like a run of the mill used car stealer, then they don't deserve a dealership.

PCNA has standards and I think all expect them to make this right.

I've been in business for myself for many years, and I understand first hand how hard it is to build a good reputation. Loosing that reputation is far easier. we all are passionate about this brand, and PCNA and our local dealers hold this flag.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI-

I know I'm pissed about this for the OP, because it's clear that the OP;

-is a man of honor
-accepts the fact that maybe he should have had a PPI done
-doesn't expect a handout

all of those factors make this more infuriating!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
I hope it's clear that me and the rest of the people posting on this thread are feeling pretty damn upset about your situation. I only buy used cars (normally CPO) and the dealership salespeople I've spoken to all tell me that even if a car doesn't qualify for a CPO warranty, due to age, mileage or other reasons, they will only keep and sell cars that are in good condition, otherwise they will send them to auction where they wind up at the less reputable used car lots.

Porsche has a reputation to uphold and this kind of behavior should be very disturbing to the people at corporate. The typical Porsche buyer, new or used, is generally more successful and affluent and has higher expectations for service and treatment than someone shopping for say a Honda. I think you are being too easy on Porsche of Austin. If what happened to you happened up here in New York say to a Type-A personality hedge fund manager, that dealer would wish he never got in the car business to begin with.

I am going to write a google review and also let the 997 Enthusiasts group on Facebook know what happened to you as well. Social Media scares the **** out of companies because news can travel real fast and they cannot control it.

Buying a used Porsche from a Porsche dealer should not be a caveat emptor experience. This is utter BS.
Great comments. I feel privileged to have purchased a car that is supported by a group of enthusiasts that are into such consumer advocacy.

I haven't given up, but optimism and morale I s not at an all time high. Spending an unbudgeted $8200 has certainly put a dent in savings. However, I'm certainly not poor so I don't want to sound like the sky is falling. I made a severe mistake trusting blindly. Trust should be earned not given. Even if I do get some concessions from Porsche of Austin, I think the best I can hope for is someone learns from my mistake.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks it shouldn't be required to obtain an independent PPI on a car that's listed for sale by an authorized Porsche dealership? Even if the car isn't CPO, we're not talking about Krusty's Kar Sales. We all take certain risks when buying used cars but it's completely unreasonable for a car to require $8,000 in repairs almost immediately after purchasing it from a Porsche dealership.

The dealer should do the right thing and reimburse OP for the repairs. They may not have any legal obligation to do so but in this day and age, they shouldn't underestimate the power of social media. A story like this has the potential to hit the front page of Jalopnik.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
Am I the only one who thinks it shouldn't be required to obtain an independent PPI on a car that's listed for sale by an authorized Porsche dealership? Even if the car isn't CPO, we're not talking about Krusty's Kar Sales. We all take certain risks when buying used cars but it's completely unreasonable for a car to require $8,000 in repairs almost immediately after purchasing it from a Porsche dealership....
Authorized dealers should probably not sell cars that they are not willing to or can't certify.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Authorized dealers should probably not sell cars that they are not willing to or can't certify if they aren't willing to stand behind them and uphold their reputation and/or integrity.
FIFY
Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A story like this has the potential to hit the front page of Jalopnik.
I just sent a link to this thread to Jalopnik
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Am I the only one who thinks it shouldn't be required to obtain an independent PPI on a car that's listed for sale by an authorized Porsche dealership? Even if the car isn't CPO, we're not talking about Krusty's Kar Sales. We all take certain risks when buying used cars but it's completely unreasonable for a car to require $8,000 in repairs almost immediately after purchasing it from a Porsche dealership.

The dealer should do the right thing and reimburse OP for the repairs. They may not have any legal obligation to do so but in this day and age, they shouldn't underestimate the power of social media. A story like this has the potential to hit the front page of Jalopnik.
This is the really confusing part for me... I mean why? Why not just repair and mark up the car to a price point so you can recoup the loss? I just dont get this behavior from a premium brand dealership... Kia maybe. I mean come on... you couldn't fix a broken gas cap, all $35 dollars worth?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free
... filing a BBB claim as well due to their false advertisement claims.
I would make sure to do this-make sure it is with the Austin BBB. I bought a car from a dealer in MA and it was shipped to me in MN with body damage that wasn't noted on my PPI. This was a franchised VW dealer and the owner blamed the trucking company. This was a bald faced lie and he didn't work with me until I filed a complaint with the BBB in his selling area. I had to sign a non-disclosure but I got $2K in cash from them to repair the body.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Response from the dealer on my BBB claim:
The vehicle is 10 years old and was fully serviced. See attached service RO with work completed. The customer was offered an extended warranty to protect against unforeseen problems on a 10 year old automobile and they declined. The vehicle was fully disclosed "as-is" due to 10 years old and the importance of an extended warranty was communicated to the customer and they declined.

They also attached the this service request invoice to support their claims, note the mileage and date. I took delivery of the car the second week of January at 45,xxx miles.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 PM
FinalBoss
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five12free,

PM me. I was in contact with Porsche Austin in early December for that 997. I have some docs and the DME printout which you might find interesting. Your last post with the VIN confirmed it's the same vehicle.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FinalBoss
Five12free,

PM me. I was in contact with Porsche Austin in early December for that 997. I have some docs and the DME printout which you might find interesting. Your last post with the VIN confirmed it's the same vehicle.
I don't think you have enough posts to PM
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
FinalBoss
5th Gear

Wow, didn't realize I've lurked for so long. Post your email for a minute then delete. I'll email it to you.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

One
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM
FinalBoss
5th Gear

Got it. Delete and email inbound

Quick Reply: Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!