Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page > Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!
Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by: Spec Clutch

Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!

Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Five12Free
User

Default Introductions, my 911 dream, and my nightmare!

*Update to my story.... Porsche of Austin has reimbursed me for my expenses, and offered an apology. See post #100 for outcome*

Hi my name is James, and I'm new here. Iíve been meaning to post this a while back, but just kept putting it off so I could give the situation some more time. At this point, it seems as though weíre at the end of the situation so Iíll share my story.

First off, this is my first 911 and Iíve always lusted over them as a kid. Growing up in Los Angeles, I always saw them around and told myself Ďone dayí. Last 10 years, weíve been a single income family while my wife finished school. So every year, the dream kept getting rolled to the next. Anywho, fast forward few decades and I was finally in a position to buy a 911, albeit a used one. I really wanted a 993, but couldnít find one in my price range. Iím not a rich guy by any means. Iím an active duty Army soldier, so price was one of the most important factors in my search for a 911. I started looking at 996s, but decided to skip over to 997.1ís since they were finally starting to fall into my price range (no more then 40k).

So I waited about a year, patiently waiting for one that met the specs I wanted. I wanted a C2S with white or silver, manual, sport chrono, adaptive sport seats and full leather. I kept looking at Autotrader, Craigslist, Ebay and Porsche NAís used car finder. I checked many out, but couldnít find one that fit my desires or they ended up in bad condition. One day while looking on Porsche NAís used car finder, I found a 2007 white C2S at Porsche of Austin. Not everything I wanted, but close enough for me to investigate. I contacted the dealership to inquire about the car. We traded about 50 emails, mainly about service history and such. Honestly, I had a strange feeling, as the sales man was quite illusive in his contacts. The car was a three-owner car, previous CPO with clean Carfax, but with a piece meal service history. I had talked to the sales man on the phone about having the car inspected, but he assured me that it had already been gone through. So after talking through it with the sales man, I decided to pull the trigger and fly from North Carolina to Texas.

When I arrived at the dealership, the weather wasnít great. It was actually pouring out. Regardless, I decided to go out on a test drive with an abbreviated check of the car. The test drive being during morning traffic time and bad weather, I didnít really get to stretch the cars legs. When we got back to the dealership, we talked about the service some more and safety inspection. Their advertisement on their website that I was sent after contacting the dealer about the car, the dealer claimed the car was just serviced and had a safety inspection conducted. The vehicle had 45,xxx miles on it, so that jived with the recommend Porsche service intervals. So I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I stayed the night in Austin and visited with some friends before leaving for NC the next morning. Weather was predictably bad. All was going as planned until I hit the Louisiana and Mississippi border. I went to pass a car, and when I moved into the left lane to pass, I hit the gas but nothing but the tach rose with no rise in vehicle speed. I decided to downshift now as I was slowing, and I couldnít get the car in gear. I coasted the car onto the shoulder. The car reeked of a burning clutch. I tried to call Porsche of Austin, but of course they were closed. Being Saturday night at 730pm, I called roadside assistance to have the car towed to the nearest Porsche dealer in New Orleans. I happened to catch them before they closed, so I arranged to drop off my car after hours. Both Porsche of New Orleans and Austin were closed on Sundays, so I flew back home because I had to get to work on Monday.

Monday rolls around, and first call I get is from Porsche of New Orleans. They cant diagnose the problem without getting the transmission out because they werent certain itís the clutch. This started a series of phone calls and emails between us. I canít say enough about the communications I got from Porsche of New Orleans. They were great through the whole ordeal. I canít say the same for Porsche of Austin. I wrote several emails and made multiple calls with no real feedback from my sales man or manager. Basically what I got back was Ďoh thatís too badí.

So onto the carÖ Porsche of New Orleans diagnosed the car had a damaged clutch disc and fly wheel. Basically all the friction material was dethatched from the disc. Since the car was there, and now I wasnít so certain as the condition of the car, I decided to have a major service and inspection done on the car. During the service, they found that the transmission fluid was over filled, two ignition coils were cracked, the coolant reservoir was cracked, a cup holder was broken, the gas cap was broken, and the rear tires were bald on the inside tread with one tire having a plug in it. The grand total for all these repairsÖ $8200. I went to pick up the car, and itís been great since.

At this time, I decided to leave a bad dealer rater review for Porsche of Austin. I think this was the catalyst for the manager to finally call me. He apologized and said that the car shouldíve been gone through better. He agreed to call the owner and make some sort of arrangement to take care of my ordeal. Going on eight weeks now, no contact. The last email I got was eight weeks ago after I asked if there was an update. He said the ownerís father was sick and was out of town.

In summary, I wanted to share my mistakes because I made several of them. First mistake was not getting a PPI from an independent shop. I blindly trusted the dealer and their claims of having done an inspection. Especially being a Porsche Dealership, I was too trusting versus what I wouldíve been at when dealing with a generic Ebay stealership. Additionally, I was also able to further investigate their service claims independently. Their claim that the car was just serviced was actually the previous owner bringing the car in for an oil change in April 2016. I purchased the car in January 2017. Iím sure that open to interpretation, but their definition of just serviced is probably different then mine. The third mistake was not just waiting another day to come look at the car in better weather and doing a better test drive. What I thought was just a stiff sports car clutch and a high revving engine was just a sign of things to come. I should've brought someone who knew these cars better to check it out, or getting a PPI has previously stated.

Now that the car is sorted, and has a clean bill of health, I can and have been enjoying my lifelong dream of owning a 911. Three months of driving bliss so far. I've been slowly learning the car and hope to take it to a HPDE soon. Honestly, I'm still a bit nervous about it, but I try not to get to paranoid. Although it's hard reading some of the posts here. Hope I didn't bore ya'll to death!

Last edited by Five12Free; 03-23-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Five12Free
User

And some pics

Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM
gotgolf52
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am glad the car is sorted at this time, it look gorgeous. Enjoy in good health, I hope the stealership help you with some expenses, highly unlikely though.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Racetwin2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for your bad experience. You kind of list what you should have done ideally. But it's easy to miss things in the heat of the moment.

It's not easy to detect everything even with a proper PPI.

The car looks great. You will enjoy it. And it will hold the value I'm sure. 997:s have stabilised and even started to increase if that is any comfort. I bought mine 3 years ago and can get the same today as when I bought it.

You will enjoy many nice miles I'm sure. Now it's time to start thinking about next mods
Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
jsalah
User

This is a great post. You recognize you made several rookie mistakes (and boy, did ya!), but it's also a great cautionary tale not to trust blindly. I am surprised and saddened to hear about the treatment you got at Porsche Austin (I have zero affiliation with those guys, but Austin is my hometown and that is not a good thing to have happen there). They absolutely should help you, but they are unlikely to without more pressure if they haven't done anything yet. I don't think they can put this all on the owner of the vehicle -- they sold it, and they represented some things to you it sounds like that were clearly not true. You should consider writing a letter to Porsche -- I've head they DO take them seriously. But your contributing errors likely means you won't recover all your expense, unfortunately, but I am of the opinion you should get something... At the end of the day, the good news is you have a fixed car now that you are enjoying, but it's unfortunate you had to take that path to get to it.

Enjoy your car!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
GTS Sully
Addict
Rennlist Member

That entire ordeal is just horrible. Glad you've weathered the storm! On the bright side, that is one heck of a good looking car.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
User

That sucks. Hopefully you can put the extra expense behind you and chalk it up to an expensive lesson and enjoy the car for many years.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bummer of an experience - but I would contact Porsche of North America corporate office and talk to the Regional Rep. Since this car was sold at an authorized Porsche dealer the Regional Rep should be able to help. May not get all your $$$ taken care of but it should get the Porsche of Austin management motivated. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Five12Free
User

Originally Posted by jsalah View Post
This is a great post. You recognize you made several rookie mistakes (and boy, did ya!), but it's also a great cautionary tale not to trust blindly. I am surprised and saddened to hear about the treatment you got at Porsche Austin (I have zero affiliation with those guys, but Austin is my hometown and that is not a good thing to have happen there). They absolutely should help you, but they are unlikely to without more pressure if they haven't done anything yet. I don't think they can put this all on the owner of the vehicle -- they sold it, and they represented some things to you it sounds like that were clearly not true. You should consider writing a letter to Porsche -- I've head they DO take them seriously. But your contributing errors likely means you won't recover all your expense, unfortunately, but I am of the opinion you should get something... At the end of the day, the good news is you have a fixed car now that you are enjoying, but it's unfortunate you had to take that path to get to it.

Enjoy your car!
For sure. Only a fool follows blindly, and I did. I probably will write a letter to Porsche NA. I mean the car literally made it 330 miles before it needed $8200 in repairs.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM
masti99
User

Wow, sucks the trip road trip was ruined and had to deal with the extra expenses. Hope it is smooth travels moving forward, enjoy in good health!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Five12Free
User

Originally Posted by porscheralph View Post
Bummer of an experience - but I would contact Porsche of North America corporate office and talk to the Regional Rep. Since this car was sold at an authorized Porsche dealer the Regional Rep should be able to help. May not get all your $$$ taken care of but it should get the Porsche of Austin management motivated. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hind sight being 20-20, I realized after my purchase that Porsche of Austin had some previously bad reviews I should've looked into as well. Thanks for the advice though!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM
jkw911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't be too hard on yourself. A 2007 is in that time frame where owners dump them before needing maintenance and I would have budgeted 5 to 7k. By the time you replace the battery, tires, brakes, clutch, and do a major service its easy to spend what you did. The good news is a clutch is regular maintenance and your car should be in great shape.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM
jhbrennan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free View Post
Hind sight being 20-20, I realized after my purchase that Porsche of Austin had some previously bad reviews I should've looked into as well. Thanks for the advice though!
Sorry to hear of all this - what a nightmare. The Austin dealership changed ownership last year and the new guys are much better than the old regime...I'd hate to think what the response would have been with the old guys. The new guys have been very responsive to my requests and they are very cognizant of the importance of PCNA surveys so I'd hope they step up for you. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Five12Free
User

Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Sorry to hear of all this - what a nightmare. The Austin dealership changed ownership last year and the new guys are much better than the old regime...I'd hate to think what the response would have been with the old guys. The new guys have been very responsive to my requests and they are very cognizant of the importance of PCNA surveys so I'd hope they step up for you. Good luck.
I wish, but I'm not optimistic. I literally had to leave a message for the manager that said 'at least just write me back' because I couldn't get a response from them. Communication has been horrible with them.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 PM
jdgamble
User

Did you contact Porsche customer service? I had a couple dealership issues and called them and the dealership became very helpful... they even paid for delinquent maintenance on a car I purchased. You should call the 800# and tell them your story. I think they should cover the cost of the falied items. They clearly sold you a car that was not roadworthy.